open question for Dolo Might and 300 blk owners

have any off you found that the interest in the 300blk, has not taken off, and possibly even dropped since it was 1st introduced.  I know that David offers brass, and of course all of the options to cut and form your own brass, I myself just completed a 300blk build and will probably continue to change it with better trigger, and other items I could not afford during the build, but wanted to find out how others see the trend for the round and weapon.

Thanks

I know several people who liked shooting mine at the range but were turned off by ammo availability and pricing. I load my own and have more than enough converted brass at this point so I guess I just never really noticed. The only 300 blk ammo I have actually purchased in the last year has been around 100 rounds of the Barnes 110grn TAC-TX b/c it got rave reviews and I wanted to try it.

I had 2 primary reasons for building it, one for the short range knock down power, and hope it works well during deer season for 200 yards and less hits, and the request of my youngest son, he thought it would be cool to own one, so I didn't have a problem with it.  so come deer season I hope that it will bring us some food to eat, as for the ammo I just obtained one of the mini saws along with a jig yesterday and can start to cut and work my own brass.

Thanks and keep the responses coming.

I'm thinking it hasn't dropped much in popularity, it may not be the topic if every other AR conversation anymore, but I think that's normal as the new has worn off. I'm seeing more availability for ammo and components and barrels are starting to be offered by more companies.

I think it's still trending to be a long term round.

I have 2 built up (midlengh & pistol), and find more ammo and accessories, barrels etc. for 300 blkout these days than in the past 7-9 months.  With that said, I do reload from my spent 5.56 casings, which makes my ammo costs about the same or sometimes a little less than .223/ 5.56 these days. 

Its a caliber designed for a specific purpose/// and since I use my .308 bolt action for long range, and 90% of the time don't shoot past 200 yards... the 300 blkout has been excellent shooting and fun caliber to play around with in set-up and reloads.   O boy, now if the .375 Reaper might make some way in i'd choose to reload and shoot it for some of the same reasons I choose the blackout.

[quote name="mikegideon" post="1164741" timestamp="1404338247"]125 grain Nosler ballistic tips are your friend. It's gonna hit about like a 30-30[/quote] Bingo, I have had great success with the Hornady Z-Max 115gr as well. Factory loaded Home rolls with H110 as well
[quote name="Ron Padilla" post="1164739" timestamp="1404338015"]I had 2 primary reasons for building it, one for the short range knock down power, and hope it works well during deer season for 200 yards and less hits, and the request of my youngest son, he thought it would be cool to own one, so I didn't have a problem with it. so come deer season I hope that it will bring us some food to eat, as for the ammo I just obtained one of the mini saws along with a jig yesterday and can start to cut and work my own brass. Thanks and keep the responses coming.[/quote] If you need a box of factory ammo let me know. I have some. Both subsonic and supersonic ballistic tips. The supersonic ballistic tips work just as well as the .300 savage I've used for years. Just know your limits distance wise. I shot a doe 50yards. Entrance hole in lungs was about the size of a quarter exit hole about a half dollar. She ran about 40 yards.

I have 2 built up (midlengh & pistol), and find more ammo and accessories, barrels etc. for 300 blkout these days than in the past 7-9 months.  With that said, I do reload from my spent 5.56 casings, which makes my ammo costs about the same or sometimes a little less than .223/ 5.56 these days. 

Its a caliber designed for a specific purpose/// and since I use my .308 bolt action for long range, and 90% of the time don't shoot past 200 yards... the 300 blkout has been excellent shooting and fun caliber to play around with in set-up and reloads.   O boy, now if the .375 Reaper might make some way in i'd choose to reload and shoot it for some of the same reasons I choose the blackout.

It is probably a carbine length gas system not mid length. Mid length is between a carbine and rifle length gas system. I seriously doubt a 300 Blackout will run reliably with a mid length gas system. Carbine length gas systems are sometimes referred to as the "medium" length gas system because it is between pistol length and rifle length but a "midlength" is between "carbine" and "rifle".

***************************************************************************************************

The 300 Blackout does two things well and those things are firing a lightweight bullet really fast and firing a really heavy bullet slow. And with both ends of the spectrum it reliably cycles an AR. Now the midweight bullets work and reliably cycle but they are not where this caliber shines. 

As far as popularity it will never be as popular as 223 or 308. But what makes it so popular is the ability to suppress it and I mean truly suppress it. A suppressed 223 that cycles is LOUD while a subsonic, suppressed 300 Blackout is extremely quiet and it still cycles the gun. You can use several different types of suppressors for it as well, a full size 30 caliber can all the way up to a can designed for a 45 ACP. And it seems as though all work extremely well with subsonic ammuntion.

Personally I like it better than 223 because I can easily cast for it and then shoot those cast bullets at subsonic velocities, can't do that with a 223 AR. It is also the cheapest caliber to get brass for because you can use 223 to make brass and not have to buy some sort of proprietary brass. I have said before that this is my "end of the world" caliber because it is so easy to cast for and because it can fill so many roles. I can use 00 buck balls, that weigh 55 grains, seated over 5 grains fo trail Boss to take squirrels or I can load up a 245 grain cast bullet and have a gun with 44 magnum energy levels while being quieter than a slingshot or I can launch a 110 grain bullet at 2,400 fps that is as capable as any 223 or 7.62x39. And one of the reasons it is so popular is being able to have AK type performance out of an AR and I honestly believe because you are using a heavier bullet the AR ends up being more reliable as long as the gun is properly built.

I don't think it will ever be a mainstream caliber but as far as a caliber that will be around for a long time I think it will be. Why do I think it will be around for a long time? Because the first iteration of it was in the 50's and it is still used by some today. The second iteration was in the 80's with the 300 Whisper or 30/221 calibers developed by JD Jones and it was extremely popular in both AR's and bolt guns. Even today there are more 300 Whisper guns on the market than the 300 Blackout. And the 300 Whisper and the 300 blackout are identical for the most part but because JD Jones demanded royalties it never really took off and that is why the 300 Blackout has become popular, the developer released it to anyone who wanted to make anything for it.

Load data and loaded ammunition between 300 Whisper and 300 Blackout are interchangeable. And one interesting note is the 300 Whisper used a 10 twist with great success and not the 8, 7 or 6.5 twists you will find in the 300 Blackout. I have 10, 8.5 and 8 twist guns and by far the most accurate is the 10 twist. The 10 twist will also stabilize my 245 grain cast bullets and be accurate while doing it. But the faster twists are needed for safety because of the popularity of suppressors in the last decade.

Three years ago I was about as anti 300 Blackout as they come. I was spouting off it could not do anything more than a 223. Then I decided to build a bolt gun and then I was converted. Since then I have built two AR's (still have one), a Savage rifle, a Savage Striker which is a bolt action pistol (sold it), I also have a T/C Contender pistol in the caliber as well as a T/C Encore rifle with a threaded 16" barrel. So for me it is my "forever" caliber and everything I buy now starts out with the question "will this work with my 300 Blackout?".

I have seen factory ammo at Walmart and Academy Sports so it is out there but the problem is there are so many other calibers that are more profitable for the ammunition manufacturers. They are not going to shut down a million dollar line to start up a $100K line. It is kind of a vicious circle because the guns are not popular because ammunition is not available and ammunition is not available because the guns are not popular. I think if ammunition manufacturers were to make more ammunition then that would lead to more guns being sold and in turn more ammunition being sold. I think it is ammunition manufacturers that are holding back the guns popularity.

• Like 3

Yep carbine and pistol length... thanks Dolomite!.... ya, got it confused with my 5.56 rifles. ....since I didn't have either in front of me when I posted.

It is probably a carbine length gas system not mid length. Mid length is between a carbine and rifle length gas system. I seriously doubt a 300 Blackout will run reliably with a mid length gas system. Carbine length gas systems are sometimes referred to as the "medium" length gas system because it is between pistol length and rifle length but a "midlength" is between "carbine" and "rifle".

***************************************************************************************************

The 300 Blackout does two things well and those things are firing a lightweight bullet really fast and firing a really heavy bullet slow. And with both ends of the spectrum it reliably cycles an AR. Now the midweight bullets work and reliably cycle but they are not where this caliber shines. 

As far as popularity it will never be as popular as 223 or 308. But what makes it so popular is the ability to suppress it and I mean truly suppress it. A suppressed 223 that cycles is LOUD while a subsonic, suppressed 300 Blackout is extremely quiet and it still cycles the gun. You can use several different types of suppressors for it as well, a full size 30 caliber can all the way up to a can designed for a 45 ACP. And it seems as though all work extremely well with subsonic ammuntion.

Personally I like it better than 223 because I can easily cast for it and then shoot those cast bullets at subsonic velocities, can't do that with a 223 AR. It is also the cheapest caliber to get brass for because you can use 223 to make brass and not have to buy some sort of proprietary brass. I have said before that this is my "end of the world" caliber because it is so easy to cast for and because it can fill so many roles. I can use 00 buck balls, that weigh 55 grains, seated over 5 grains fo trail Boss to take squirrels or I can load up a 245 grain cast bullet and have a gun with 44 magnum energy levels while being quieter than a slingshot or I can launch a 110 grain bullet at 2,400 fps that is as capable as any 223 or 7.62x39. And one of the reasons it is so popular is being able to have AK type performance out of an AR and I honestly believe because you are using a heavier bullet the AR ends up being more reliable as long as the gun is properly built.

I don't think it will ever be a mainstream caliber but as far as a caliber that will be around for a long time I think it will be. Why do I think it will be around for a long time? Because the first iteration of it was in the 50's and it is still used by some today. The second iteration was in the 80's with the 300 Whisper or 30/221 calibers developed by JD Jones and it was extremely popular in both AR's and bolt guns. Even today there are more 300 Whisper guns on the market than the 300 Blackout. And the 300 Whisper and the 300 blackout are identical for the most part but because JD Jones demanded royalties it never really took off and that is why the 300 Blackout has become popular, the developer released it to anyone who wanted to make anything for it.

Load data and loaded ammunition between 300 Whisper and 300 Blackout are interchangeable. And one interesting note is the 300 Whisper used a 10 twist with great success and not the 8, 7 or 6.5 twists you will find in the 300 Blackout. I have 10, 8.5 and 8 twist guns and by far the most accurate is the 10 twist. The 10 twist will also stabilize my 245 grain cast bullets and be accurate while doing it. But the faster twists are needed for safety because of the popularity of suppressors in the last decade.

Three years ago I was about as anti 300 Blackout as they come. I was spouting off it could not do anything more than a 223. Then I decided to build a bolt gun and then I was converted. Since then I have built two AR's (still have one), a Savage rifle, a Savage Striker which is a bolt action pistol (sold it), I also have a T/C Contender pistol in the caliber as well as a T/C Encore rifle with a threaded 16" barrel. So for me it is my "forever" caliber and everything I buy now starts out with the question "will this work with my 300 Blackout?".

I have seen factory ammo at Walmart and Academy Sports so it is out there but the problem is there are so many other calibers that are more profitable for the ammunition manufacturers. They are not going to shut down a million dollar line to start up a $100K line. It is kind of a vicious circle because the guns are not popular because ammunition is not available and ammunition is not available because the guns are not popular. I think if ammunition manufacturers were to make more ammunition then that would lead to more guns being sold and in turn more ammunition being sold. I think it is ammunition manufacturers that are holding back the guns popularity.

Edited by sigrug17

I built a .300 Blackout pistol (and eventually a 7.62x40 Wilson Tactical) for the same reason I have a 6.5 Grendel.  I can make my cases from common rounds and cast my own boolits and not worry about whether the cartridge is popular or supported or not.

I don't really care if what I choose is popular and available.  As long as I have stocked up on what I need to make that round.  For both the .300 Blk and 7.62x40, I have plenty of 5.56 brass.  For my 6.5G, I have formed plenty from brass 7.62x39.  I can also use steel cases, but won't get the case capacity and velocity.  

I have not bought a single factory loaded round of either one and probably will not. 

Ballistically, I like the .300 Blk because it is efficient in a short, pistol barrel.  But it isn't a long-range round.  

I glommed on to the 6.5G because it has the best long range ballistics available in the AR-15 style rifle.  But it isn't efficient in a short barrel.

5.56 is a fair all-around round, but it isn't what I prefer for long-range, and it isn't as efficient in a short barrel.  

As an aside, my current home defense rifle is a 16" AR-style carbine in 5.56 with varmint bullets.

For long-term, or my "forever" round, as Dolomite stated above, I have chosen two (maybe three) rounds.  The .300 Blk (or 7.62 WT) and the 6.5G.  Because I don't need to concern myself with factory ammo.  I can make my own.  

BTW, Dolomite, where do you get your buckshot?  Is it local or do you order it.

I used to buy shot from Sports Unlimited, but they are loooong gone.  Haven't bought any in many years.

I appreciate the offer.  I was being lazy and hoping to find some to buy.  :)  

I think I have a mold, but I can't remember if it's .32 or .36 caliber.  Most likely .36 because I used to shoot cap-and-ball revolvers.

You use .330" dia. buck?  I may take you up on the offer.  I've been wanting to play around with some light plinker loads for 7.62x39 and .300 BLK.

Thanks,

Will

I appreciate the offer.  I was being lazy and hoping to find some to buy.   :)

I think I have a mold, but I can't remember if it's .32 or .36 caliber.  Most likely .36 because I used to shoot cap-and-ball revolvers.

You use .330" dia. buck?  I may take you up on the offer.  I've been wanting to play around with some light plinker loads for 7.62x39 and .300 BLK.

Thanks,

Will

Another good plinker bullet is the 100 grain 2R bullet.

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-311-100-2r.html