Suppresed rifle and night vision? Depending on your neighborhood you could either let a coon hunter come run his dogs there a few nights, or you could set live traps. If other animals (dogs, cats etc,) aren't a concern than leg traps followed by a shot to the head will work. I can't comment on the legality of any of the above actions.

We killed four out of Dad's garden last year, into our corn.

Large Havahart trap,

take a can of cat food, drill some holes through it, then wire wrap it to the inside rear corner.

Shoot the $$$tard *before* opening the cage.

Yeah, you might get a cat or two the first night or so, but they learn quickly.

BTW, stake /chain the trap down.

We had one (that we did not get) nearly walk off with the trap.  It was HUGE. The trap door would not close.

Edited by R_Bert

I was hoping to avoid the hassle of setting traps and burying dead coons but that may be my only real option. We don't have any hounds any more. I've heard that if you tie a hound up, the coons will learn the limits of his reach and s***wreck the garden with him standing there barking his a** off. I don't live within earshot of the garden so I wouldn't know when he barked. I've seen some electric devices that emit a high frequency sound that repels animals. I thought about trying one but it seemed a little too good to be true. Anyone had any experience with anything like that?

R_Bert, that's a GIGANTIC coon!

I was hoping to avoid the hassle of setting traps and burying dead coons but that may be my only real option. We don't have any hounds any more. I've heard that if you tie a hound up, the coons will learn the limits of his reach and s***wreck the garden with him standing there barking his a** off. I don't live within earshot of the garden so I wouldn't know when he barked. I've seen some electric devices that emit a high frequency sound that repels animals. I thought about trying one but it seemed a little too good to be true. Anyone had any experience with anything like that?

R_Bert, that's a GIGANTIC coon!

At first, in the game cam, we thought it was a coyote.  It was about 15" at the shoulder (It was ~3" taller than the trap). I will have to check Mom's computer.  She may still have that video.

We caught and dispatched one at 25 lbs, and the rest were over 20 (after eating 5 or 6 rows of corn, they should be big...).

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1
Electric fence.......Havaheart makes one that runs off d cells designed for dogs... .....or, if you've got power close TSC has units that start pretty cheap.... Edited by Mongo

Never had this problem, but why not poisoned field corn? No burying them there since they die somewhere else.

Because other critters eat the corn and/or the poisoned carcasses and die too. 

Trapping followed by high speed lead poisoning works well enough. 

I had this problem with my Quail barn. A few late nights of SSS and a 6 pack and it cleared up fairly well JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

Trapping them is the only way I've been able to get rid of them. If you don't want to kill them, simply drive them several miles away and put them out. You could also give the coon to someone who is training a coondog.

I tie a honey bun to the back of the trap with wire for bait. They LOVE honey buns.

Edited by gregintenn

Trapping them is the only way I've been able to get rid of them. If you don't want to kill them, simply drive them several miles away and put them out. You could also give the coon to someone who is training a coondog.

I tie a honey bun to the back of the trap with wire for bait. They LOVE honey buns.

hmmmmm.  I dunno.....

One who chooses to do this should not advertise it.  I think It is a felony, certainly a misdemeanor.

TWRA will treat it the same as poaching and other violations of regulations, and will result in offender's hunting rights, etc being removed. I don't know anything about transfer to a coon hunter, but suggest making &#%! sure all permits and licenses are in place before a live-trapped animal is released in any fashion.

also - for me personally, the last place in the world I want to be is anywhere near a very-pissed-off raccoon.  That thing'll bite your nutz off in a heartbeat.  And you ain't gonna outrun it.

Edited by R_Bert