[quote name="whitewolf001" post="1166840" timestamp="1404872717"]I entered this thread thinking, "no fregin way is someone on this board a racist like this." I'm glad I was wrong but your post cracked me up and reminded me why I was curious about this thread in the first place.[/quote] So you are accusing me of something?
[quote name="glowdotGlock" post="1166845" timestamp="1404873615"]So you are accusing me of something?[/quote] No, that was actually poor wording on my part. No insult nor underlying intent was implied. Truly pure humor on my part as I knew your intentions. Sorry for the confusion. :P Edited by whitewolf001
[quote name="whitewolf001" post="1166876" timestamp="1404878444"]No, that was actually poor wording on my part. No insult nor underlying intent was implied. Truly pure humor on my part as I knew your intentions. Sorry for the confusion. :P[/quote] I thought after reading that again that was probably what happened. I was quick to get defensive. Bad on my part too. Sorry about that. No problems here : )

hmmmmm.  I dunno.....

One who chooses to do this should not advertise it.  I think It is a felony, certainly a misdemeanor.

TWRA will treat it the same as poaching and other violations of regulations, and will result in offender's hunting rights, etc being removed. I don't know anything about transfer to a coon hunter, but suggest making &#%! sure all permits and licenses are in place before a live-trapped animal is released in any fashion.

also - for me personally, the last place in the world I want to be is anywhere near a very-pissed-off raccoon.  That thing'll bite your nutz off in a heartbeat.  And you ain't gonna outrun it.

Felony? REALLY??!!?? What is the proper thing to do? Allow them to eat my garden?

hmmmmm.  I dunno.....

One who chooses to do this should not advertise it.  I think It is a felony, certainly a misdemeanor.

TWRA will treat it the same as poaching and other violations of regulations, and will result in offender's hunting rights, etc being removed. I don't know anything about transfer to a coon hunter, but suggest making &#%! sure all permits and licenses are in place before a live-trapped animal is released in any fashion.

also - for me personally, the last place in the world I want to be is anywhere near a very-pissed-off raccoon.  That thing'll bite your nutz off in a heartbeat.  And you ain't gonna outrun it.

Felony? REALLY??!!?? What is the proper thing to do? Allow them to eat my garden?

Yup.

and you SSS, or trap, shoot, & shovel (TSS).  That's legal for the property owner to do.  Just cant relocate them.

Yup.

and you SSS, or trap, shoot, & shovel (TSS).  That's legal for the property owner to do.  Just cant relocate them.

Thanks. I had no idea. I figured the whole resaon behind a "LIVE" trap would be to not cause harm to the animal.

Edited by gregintenn

Thanks. I had no idea. I figured the whole resaon behind a "LIVE" trap would be to not cause harm to the animal.

Ironic, no doubt.

As I understand TN law, the only people that can relocate wildlife in TN are TWRA wildlife officers.  From what I understand, unless a protected species, even the Nuisance Wildlife licensed guys will put them down (not totally sure on that).  But I AM sure about what a property owner can do with them.  (we had tons of experience with that one, thanks to neighbors calling the popo & TWRA on immediate relatives). 

BTW, you have to call TWRA first on big game, and I am sure that you cannot harm errant bears at all, and they take a dim view on turkey (I,e, don't).  They do as warranted, allow dispatch of deer (most folks (but not all) call a NWO on those cases)

https://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1660/1660-01/1660-01-16.pdf Rules governing trap and release Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pretty restrictive. 

"

The term “wildlife,” for the purpose of these regulations only, is defined as red fox, gray fox, raccoon,

and bobwhite quail."

I will admit I did not know raccoon was included, but good luck getting a permit.

BTW, they are very abundant around this neighborhood. I see them all over the place nearby.  Had one in the back yard a few weeks ago. A few years ago, one of the little %%%####s turned on my water spigot several nights in a row.  (and went bye-bye as a result)

Edited by R_Bert

Talking about needing relocation, all this brings to mind a few years ago where a flock of turkeys was being fed by the hoodnicks in the Clinton/ Eagle Bend area .  I pulled into the entrance with my vehicle , and was surrounded by them (maybe 30-40 in the roundabout).  Immediately, 3-4 residents came out and watched me with suspicion to meke sure I did not run over one of their "pets". Interesting experience.

I can't find anything that states transporting class 2 wildlife is a felony.  Everything related to this says it's a Class C misdemeanor.  It does say that they can basically confiscate darn near everything used in the process (your truck or boat and everything in it, etc.)

70-6-102.  Each unlawful taking and device deemed separate offense -- Penalty.

Each wild animal, wild bird, wild fowl, or fish caught, taken, killed, captured, destroyed, shipped, offered or received for shipment, transported, bought, sold or bartered, or had in possession, and each trap, snare, net or other device used or attempted to be used in violation of this title constitutes a separate offense and, unless a specific penalty is otherwise provided, is punishable by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25.00) nor more than fifty dollars ($50.00) for each offense.

70-6-103.  Penalties for violation of title.

(a) The violation of any of the provisions of § 70-1-206, § 70-1-302(a) and (b), § 70-1-304(1), (2) and (4), § 70-1-305, § 70-1-306(c)-(h), § 70-1-307, § 70-1-308(a), § 70-2-206, chapter 3 of this title, § 70-4-105 or § 70-5-103, is a Class C misdemeanor.

(b) The violation of any provisions of this title for which a penalty has not been expressly provided is a Class C misdemeanor, and in case of a corporation, every participating officer or agent, or both, of the corporation shall be guilty and punished as stated in this section.

70-4-203.  Transportation of protected game or fish out of the state -- Duty of transporters -- Penalty.

(a) Any person who desires to take protected game or fish out of the state may do so under the following conditions, but not otherwise:

(1) Such person must have in possession at the time of such taking out of the state, or at the time of transporting within the state, a hunting and fishing license, duly issued to such person under this title; and

(2) Such person cannot take from the state more than two days' bag or creel limit on ducks or other migratory birds or protected game or fish.

(b) Any officer of the wildlife resources agency, or assistant officer of the wildlife resources agency, sheriff, deputy sheriff, constable or other officer has the right to demand of any person possessing game and proposing to take it out of the state an inspection of such person's license. A refusal on the part of the person to exhibit the license is a Class C misdemeanor.

(c) Any resident hunter may have game or fish transported home by filing with the common carrier a written statement with name and address, the number of such person's hunting license, and the number of game or fish to be so transported, and that the game or fish was legally killed by such person and is not for sale. A copy of the statement shall be attached to such person's game, or to whatever the game may be enclosed in.

(d) It is unlawful for any person, company or common carrier to ship or transport any birds, game fish or animals as mentioned in this section, except as otherwise provided in this title, without having ascertained that the person offering the same for shipment was then and there in possession of a hunting and fishing license duly issued and covering the period when the shipment was offered, and without requiring such person to accompany the shipment.

(e) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

70-6-201.  Confiscation and disposal of wildlife and other articles illegally taken or used.

(a) All officers of the wildlife resources agency, sheriffs and their deputies shall seize and take possession of any and all furs, fish, wild animals, wild birds, guns, rods, reels, nets, creels, boats or other instruments, tackle or devices that have been used, transported or possessed contrary to any laws or regulations promulgated by the fish and wildlife commission, and impound and take them before the court trying the person arrested.

(b) Upon complaint showing probable cause for believing that any of the wild animals, wild birds or fish protected by any law or regulation are being illegally kept in any building, car or receptacle, any court having jurisdiction may issue a search warrant and cause such building, car or receptacle to be searched. Any wild bird, wild animal, fish, articles, instruments, or devices seized in accordance with this section, shall be impounded by the arresting officer and taken before the court trying the person arrested.

(c)  (1) Upon conviction, the court or jury trying the case shall, except as provided in §§ 70-4-116 -- 70-4-118, determine whether or not the things seized shall be declared contraband.

(2) When any item is declared contraband, the court shall enter an order accordingly and the contraband property shall be placed in the custody of the arresting officer, to be delivered to the executive director for disposition. The executive director shall destroy or cause to be destroyed any prohibited device or any device deemed by the executive director to be in a dangerous condition. Any contraband property that is not destroyed shall be transferred to the commissioner of general services to be sold at public sale in the manner authorized for surplus property by title 12, chapter 2.

(3) All proceeds from the sale of confiscated articles shall be deposited in the wildlife resources fund.

70-6-202.  Property used in violation of §§ 70-4-116 -- 70-4-118 declared contraband -- Seizure and sale.

(a) Any firearm, equipment, appliance or conveyance used in violation of §§ 70-4-116 -- 70-4-118, including any truck, automobile, boat, airplane, or other vehicle, other than a common carrier, and in which any deer or bear is located, or that is used in transporting such animals in violation of this title, is hereby declared contraband property and shall be confiscated and forfeited to the state upon seizure.

(b) Any motor vehicle that is seized as contraband property, that has been finally forfeited to the state of Tennessee, and that has not been ordered by any court or competent authority to be returned to any claimant shall be sold at public sale by the commissioner of general services when the same has been turned over to the commissioner by the executive director as now authorized by law; provided, that, notwithstanding any other provision of the law to the contrary, any truck, automobile, boat, airplane or other vehicle seized and forfeited under subsection (a) may be used, with the approval of the executive director, by wildlife officers, to enforce the fish and wildlife laws, for a period not to exceed two (2) years; and provided further, that the seized item is similar in kind and not substantially greater in value than like equipment that is procured and used by the wildlife resources agency in its operations.

(c) When any seizure results in an arrest and the person charged is found to be not guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction, such property shall be returned by the trial court. When the verdict of not guilty is rendered by a court of general sessions, the executive director shall have the right to appeal to the circuit court of the county where such verdict was rendered for a hearing de novo solely on the question of the propriety of the seizure of any property so seized as contraband and make disposition accordingly.

(d) The court or jury determining whether a violation of § 70-4-116, § 70-4-117, or § 70-4-118, occurred shall also determine, in the same manner as provided in § 70-6-201, whether property seized pursuant to this section is contraband and should be forfeited to the state.

We killed four out of Dad's garden last year, into our corn.

Large Havahart trap,

take a can of cat food, drill some holes through it, then wire wrap it to the inside rear corner.

Shoot the $$$tard *before* opening the cage.

Yeah, you might get a cat or two the first night or so, but they learn quickly.

BTW, stake /chain the trap down.

We had one (that we did not get) nearly walk off with the trap.  It was HUGE. The trap door would not close.

Sardines are great bait, and animal can smell them for a long distance.

• Admin Team

Years ago my father had an ongoing problem with raccoons getting into his garden... 

He ended up buying a lot of BBQ sauce to overcome the gamey taste.

I remember joy in survival school of trapping a raccoon.  I can remember the exact words of our instructor when he told me, "a raccoon can feed a man for a week."

I don't know that I'd seek one out, but it sure was good then.

• 1 month later...