Any of you guys cook and eat armadillos?

Guest HillyKarma

This seems like a very strange thing. I've heard the leprosy rumors my whole life, and now I hear about them being full of gristle, so Idk if I would try it to be honest. Rare that I say that as a culinary student, but that's my stance for now.

I don't know, but I hit one on state roue 69 last night.  (that's not code)   I saw it and - while telling it to pick a direction, I eased over the line so that I would straddle it - missing it.... much to my and my son's surprise, it was so big it clocked the undercarriage of our truck.  Bummer for it.  That was one, big Armadillo.   You could've fed the whole family.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I don't know, but I hit one on state roue 69 last night.  (that's not code)   I saw it and - while telling it to pick a direction, I eased over the line so that I would straddle it - missing it.... much to my and my son's surprise, it was so big it clocked the undercarriage of our truck.  Bummer for it.  That was one, big Armadillo.   You could've fed the whole family.

Three reasons. First, armadillos will eat carrion, which in the US is often roadkill. Animals that eat roadkill often become roadkill themselves, because they are on the road more often than other animals are. Second, armadillos are nocturnal. It is hard to see animals by the side of the road at night, so it is harder for motorists to avoid hitting them. Third, armadillos jump up in the air when they feel threatened. This often works to startle a predator, but against an automobile it doesn’t work; they just end up jumping right into the front or underside of the car, with disastrous results.

It hit your truck's undercarriage because it jumped!

My dad went to a wild game supper. He thought he was eating barbequed coon and it turned out to be opossum.

He said it was pretty good. Armadilllos are getting common around here. I guess it's just a matter of time before it's a delicacy.

Ok, I guess I'm the only one that's willing to admit to eating armadillo. I grew up in south Mississippi and killed a bunch of the darn things over the years because they were so destructive in the yard and fields. Finally decided one day to see how they tasted since I heard some folks in Texas barbecued them. Anyway, they do taste a lot like pork and there is a lot of fat between the "shell" and carcass. They also have scent glands or something that I didn't realize, and didn't get them out before cooking it, so it stunk up the kitchen pretty bad. My mother told me it would never be cooked in her kitchen again because of the smell, but it actually didn't taste too bad. I do think if the glands are removed properly, that they would be OK, but I am also still a little concerned about the leprosy issue because I don't think that has been completely debunked but is probably not a huge concern if you wear disposable gloves while handling. I am also not aware of them being carrion eaters...they typically eat grubs, worms and insects. That's why they tear up the ground just like hogs. So, I'd eat them again if I had to, but I wouldn't intentionally go hunting for them for that purpose, and I would want to know how to properly remove any musk glands before cooking them again. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk