Remlin. Did not know I bought one.

94user

This is an offspring of my deer rifle thread. I try to research and find out everything I can about any gun I'm interested in, cuts way down on the buyer remorse. I decided to go with the Marlin 336 I bought because of my experience with them. I owned one in the early 90's and I know a few folks that have one. What I  didn't know was that the freedom group bought Marlin out back in 08. I found this out when I went and checked out Marlinowners .com. I read a lot about how the quality went downhill after the production of Marlin lever guns was moved from Connecticut to New York. They talk about wood that doesn't fit properly and isn't completely finished, front sights being off center, buggered screw heads, uneven finish on the metal, rough as hell actions and jamming and misfires. The 336 I bought has none of the cosmetic problems mentioned. The action is a little tight but smooth and that will work itself out I'm sure. Looking at my rifle that was made in November 2013 I'm guessing that these alleged QC problems have been worked out. I also belive that the bashing is being done by some Marlin snobs over there. It will be a couple of weeks before I take her to the range for the first time but I have full confidence that she'll work just fine.

The runs of poor crafted ones actually came out of the same old Marlin plant in North Haven where they had been made all along. I really think it was mostly due to their equipment line ailing toward the end up there after Remington bought them, and Rem being unwilling to throw the money at the problem in the old plant.

I too expect the rifles coming out of Ilion and Mayfield to be reasonably back up to snuff, and from what few I've seen and what I've read in the last year or so, seems they are. Though of course, we'll never see the same craftsmanship of Marlin in it's long heyday -- but you can say that about most manufacturers. It's cut some corners on spit and finish or charge so much they'd stay in the hole.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Love my lever guns, all of them. Marlins, Winchesters, Henry, and a Rossi. The Marlins did have alot of QC problems for several years, but I think they are "finally" turning the corner. But myself I wouldn't buy one of the newer ones without inspecting the heck out of it. Besides I can usually find a nice older one cheaper, "unless we are talkin 1894's, those things are going through the roof", and not have to worry whether it is problematic.

Good luck and let us know how she preforms.  What did you get 30-30?

The runs of poor crafted ones actually came out of the same old Marlin plant in North Haven where they had been made all along. I really think it was mostly due to their equipment line ailing toward the end up there after Remington bought them, and Rem being unwilling to throw the money at the problem in the old plant.

I too expect the rifles coming out of Ilion and Mayfield to be reasonably back up to snuff, and from what few I've seen and what I've read in the last year or so, seems they are. Though of course, we'll never see the same craftsmanship of Marlin in it's long heyday -- but you can say that about most manufacturers. It's cut some corners on spit and finish or charge so much they'd stay in the hole.

- OS

Maybe the snobs on Marlinowners.com don't realize this. I plan on getting at least 100 rounds of various ammo in the next week or two and I'm gonna shoot all of it to test her out.

Maybe the snobs on Marlinowners.com don't realize this. I plan on getting at least 100 rounds of various ammo in the next week or two and I'm gonna shoot all of it to test her out.

Yeah. And the "JM" vs "REP" barrel stamp is not necessarily indicative of "real Marlin" vs "Remlin" either. I mean, Remington bought them in '07 and they continued to produce guns at same factory for another 4 years. Some barrels during that period were marked REP, some weren't, depended on the rifle model and last time they purchased a barrel run for them. Seems the proof mark was not really always put on them as a last touch before shipping but when received.

There are also any number of left over barrels with the North Haven address on them that got shipped for assembly to Ilion and Mayfield too.

So anyway,  if you want to be an uber purist beyond reproach :),  you have to find one made before 12/07, when Remington bought Marlin.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I don't feel bad at all Maroon. I expect this 336w will perform just fine.  Mac, My barrel has the Remington date code RH on the left side just in front of the receiver. That's Nov 2013. It's a genuine Remlim made in Illion.

I don't feel bad at all Maroon. I expect this 336w will perform just fine.  Mac, My barrel has the Remington date code RH on the left side just in front of the receiver. That's Nov 2013. It's a genuine Remlim made in Illion.

I have a 336 and 1894 both made in New Haven, but after Remington bought them, both are proofed JM

But I have a Model 60 made in 2009 with North Haven marked barrel but with RE proof (or is that a Remington date code? It still has the Marlin SN convention) . It's unclear whether Remington was already assembling some of these in Ilion or not at that time or what. AFAIK all model 60s now come out of Mayfield.

At any rate, I feel fairly confident that Marlin/Remington will produce more than adequate firearms ongoing at least function wise. It goes without saying that if one wants the beauty of old time craftsmanship, no current iteration by any company can compare. But heck, just that beautiful deep bluing that used to be a standard for various manufacturers would add more than the cost of the rest of the gun these days.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="94user" post="1169215" timestamp="1405554892"]You're right Mac. Any rifle made with old style deep bluing and a real walnut stock will cost at least $200 more than one that has a matte finish and a birch stock. At least, maybe more.[/quote] And we can all thank the EPA for saving is from the horror of pretty guns at affordable price points.