Brinks commercial

the TV just showed the Brinks commercial where I bad guy busts through the door and the alarm goes off scaring him away as the teenage daughter screams in fear.

I know there was a thread about this previously. What a stupid commercial. If the BG had wanted to the teen girl is dead a possum in the middle of the road. The Brinks guy tells her to stay on the line as he calls for help. A hard core criminal would have already cut the phone line and the Brinks call would have never happened anyway.

we have ADT, I know it is a waste of money, but it makes the boss(wife) feel better. I know from experience that a security breech takes about three minutes for them to call. Not mere seconds as dipicted in the commercial. What can a determined criminal do in 3 minutes? And how many more minutes until John E. Law shows up?

No thanks, I will keep the .357 handy.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that if the guy was going to bust down the glass front door, he probably doesn't care if people are home, or if there is an alarm. He ain't after the silver if he's busting in like Jack in The Shining.

Well, they CAN be set up to call your cell if they cannot get on the landline, and the newer systems have battery backups.

But the time is just unacceptable. The only thing I see going for them is a loud alarm, and the capability of calling police while you are not home.

I don't feel that alarms are useless, but they do have limited value. I think they serve more to discourage the hassle of breaking into a house where the burglars know there is an alarm than actually causing the cops to show up with guns drawn to catch the bad guys. Sure, a pro can easily defeat an alarm, but the average thug may move on. Somebody cut our phone line on New Year's Eve two years ago (apparently attempting to disable the alarm), but did not break in. My theory is that they chickened out or got spooked and changed their minds. Why else would someone slice your phone line in broad daylight? If they had broken in, the cellular backup would have allowed the alarm to work normally.

Guest Boomhower

I have searched a little on the subjects of alarms. We don't have a land line so we only have 2 options. Cell phone (which I don't want to pay for) or Fleenor security which is a wireless system in itself. I've never taken my search any farther than the internet though, so i don't know anything else about them.

Well, they CAN be set up to call your cell if they cannot get on the landline, and the newer systems have battery backups.

But the time is just unacceptable. The only thing I see going for them is a loud alarm, and the capability of calling police while you are not home.

If someone cuts the land line,the alarm will have no commutation to the alarm service,thus making it useless.

I have searched a little on the subjects of alarms. We don't have a land line so we only have 2 options. Cell phone (which I don't want to pay for) or Fleenor security which is a wireless system in itself. I've never taken my search any farther than the internet though, so i don't know anything else about them.

Our job trailers use the Fleenor Radio alarm system. It has a battery backup that will last one to two days. The only problem with the battery backup system is that Fleenor is required to call you when your power goes out, which is all well and good til its four in the morning. At least you live at the location. I am required to drive to the jobsite and meet the police. I wait half an hour, get a coffee or two to go at Pilot, then wait at the job trailer for forty-five minutes to an hour and a half from my arrival time for them to show up. Good times. Especially when you are approached as the one who "broke" into the trailer over two hours ago and decided to take a coffee break at the scene of the crime. No, I don't think the alarms do anything but help with insurance. YMMV.

If you're getting an alarm system, get one with the cell or FleeNet. The response time on phone calls when I do an alarm test are under one minute. Sorry about the rant posted above...I did that little number five times this year. There are more pressing concerns for officers than a job trailer located in the middle of a mud pit.

the "iffyness" of whether or not one has a cell backup was a big seeling point from the salesman who dealt with me. as I remember it though it was like a 30 dollar a month option. I figure the ADT signs are a better deterrent than the actual service.

The only time our alarm sounded I got a call from ADT, drove home, and beat the cops here. It took me 40 minutes to get here from work.

Guest Verbal Kint

2-3 Dobermans, trained, with signs posted around the perimeter. 8 foot high fence, with the top angled inward toward the property (reason becoming clear to any moron that tries to enter said property and then flee when met by dogs). Problem solved.

Dogs still remain the best alarm and deterrent, IMO. A large, powerful, streamlined breed such as a Doberman... coupled with proper training... is the best answer. Even better when there are multiple dogs to work as a team. :tough:

Barring a moat filled with sharks "with frickin' laser beams" on their heads... this is the best option.

Barring a moat filled with sharks "with frickin' laser beams" on their heads... this is the best option.

Alligators would be more cost effective.Sharks would require salt water and a larger area to swim around than a moat could provide.:P

the TV just showed the Brinks commercial where I bad guy busts through the door and the alarm goes off scaring him away as the teenage daughter screams in fear.

I know there was a thread about this previously. What a stupid commercial. If the BG had wanted to the teen girl is dead a possum in the middle of the road. The Brinks guy tells her to stay on the line as he calls for help. A hard core criminal would have already cut the phone line and the Brinks call would have never happened anyway.

we have ADT, I know it is a waste of money, but it makes the boss(wife) feel better. I know from experience that a security breech takes about three minutes for them to call. Not mere seconds as dipicted in the commercial. What can a determined criminal do in 3 minutes? And how many more minutes until John E. Law shows up?

No thanks, I will keep the .357 handy.

That's the first problem, ADT has the slowest response time (from what I have been told by previous ADT customers), my alarm central station usually has the customer on the phone in under a minute and if it's cellular forget it, it's more like 15 to 25 seconds. I can fix the problem you are having and save you money in the long run.:P

The cell phone option is not really expensive, the monthly service is 10.95, less than 1/2 of the cost of a phone line. Fleenor is long range radio, which you will pay for also but not as much.

Guest bkelm18
Dobermans? Shepherds? No good.

This is the way to go.

Wow that guy is brave. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a chimp when he decides to let his instincts take over and end your life very painfully.

I dunno, I have a Border Collie that that could probably rack,aim and fire at the bad guys. If we were hunting he could also do the field dressing.:P

One of my first jobs as a kid was being a volunteer zookeeper. I too wouldn't want to be near a chimp if it decides to have a bad day.

Nothing left but pieces parts!

Alarms only allow you a few split seconds to get a gun.

Edited by tedbo
Guest canynracer

I have the alarm, it calls nobody, but it is loud as hell to wake me up, also my lab mix (not a guard dog, but a damn good watchdog)...then I have my German Shepherd that reacts very nicely (guard dog)...then me

My 25lb Lahsa Apsho is a great alarm. They were actually used in Tibet as guard dogs. He sounds a lot bigger than he is, he will go after anyone that comes to the door, like he is going to eat them and he is quick. Only problem is that he has a lot of false alarms. I can fart and he will start barking...he is getting better or use to it, he is starting to just look at me and leave the room!

I have an alarm, but no phone line! I have vonage, I need to get the cell back up plan..wife will be happy again. More important to me is the Fire protection my alarm has.

you guys need help.

best deterrent is to make it look like you have nothing to steal.

Couple of old junk cars on blocks full of trashbags, front porch falling off due to weight of even mpore trashbags, mangy arsed dogs everywhere digging around in even MORE trashbags, Fat nekkid hillbilly sitting on the falling down froint porch full of trashbags and empty beer bittlers (feel free to use a mannequin here, PLEASE!). then when yoiu walk in the kitchen FILLED WITH TRASHBAGS, and pull the chair away from the table, an elevvator is revealed leading to the Playboy Mansion

LMAO

Guest bkelm18
you guys need help.

best deterrent is to make it look like you have nothing to steal.

Couple of old junk cars on blocks full of trashbags, front porch falling off due to weight of even mpore trashbags, mangy arsed dogs everywhere digging around in even MORE trashbags, Fat nekkid hillbilly sitting on the falling down froint porch full of trashbags and empty beer bittlers (feel free to use a mannequin here, PLEASE!). then when yoiu walk in the kitchen FILLED WITH TRASHBAGS, and pull the chair away from the table, an elevvator is revealed leading to the Playboy Mansion

LMAO

Screw that, just don't own anything worth stealing. Like me, haha.:koolaid:

Screw that, just don't own anything worth stealing. Like me, haha.:cool:

My thought is that if I get robbed, I am going to turn the tables, I am going to rob him. Take his money, take his gun, tie him up and go drop him in the middle of no where.