Davidson County CLEO

To my understanding, the signature from the CLEO is to verify that there will be said class 3 item in their jurisdiction. I don't believe its another background check per say, but if you've got any outstanding warrants, felony charges, etc,  that passed your initial background check, it would allow the CLEO to essentially veto the request for the stamp. If I'm incorrect, please correct my information.

I like to drop off the paperwork in person. I get my fingerprinting done there as well before dropping off the paperwork. The assistant to the CLEO usually meets me at by the security desk and I hand over the envelope with my paperwork. I go back in person to pick it up. I like dealing face to face when it comes with these types of forms. 

To my understanding, the signature from the CLEO is to verify that there will be said class 3 item in their jurisdiction. I don't believe its another background check per say, but if you've got any outstanding warrants, felony charges, etc,  that passed your initial background check, it would allow the CLEO to essentially veto the request for the stamp. If I'm incorrect, please correct my information.

I like to drop off the paperwork in person. I get my fingerprinting done there as well before dropping off the paperwork. The assistant to the CLEO usually meets me at by the security desk and I hand over the envelope with my paperwork. I go back in person to pick it up. I like dealing face to face when it comes with these types of forms. 

Nope. No felonies, no warrants, etc. I legally buy all my guns through FFL dealers.

I was just asking because I was confused what role the CLEO is playing in all these hoops we have to go through to get a Suppressor or SBR.

So you're saying all the CLEO sign for is to be aware or allow these special class weapons and accessories in his jurisdiction and they do no background check or any other character investigation?

Edited by JohnC

I thought I read that the CLEO signature requirement was dropped by the ATF? Does the state of Tennessee require it?

ATF/DOJ has proposed that the CLEO signature be dropped.  At this time, it is just a proposed regulation change.  It has not happened yet............if at all.

Edited by Reservoir Dog

There is a background check done by the CLEO.

Interesting.

Now this raises more confusion for me.

If you pass a NICS/TBI background check already for local FFL purchases up to a 50 BMG, why the heck would a CLEO deny and not sign?

Just curious what grounds they would deny a person for if you already pass a 4473 NICS/TBI or whichever it is.

Interesting.

Now this raises more confusion for me.

If you pass a NICS/TBI background check already for local FFL purchases up to a 50 BMG, why the heck would a CLEO deny and not sign?

Just curious what grounds they would deny a person for if you already pass a 4473 NICS/TBI or whichever it is.

We are talking about NFA items here, there is no NICS or TICS check on a NFA item.  The background check is conducted by the ATF & FBI.

However, some local CLEOs will also do a background check on you before they will sign the NFA paperwork.  There is no requirement for that check, it is just something the CLEO will do just to check you out before they sign off.  Some CLEOs will do this background check, others will just sign the forms without any questions.  It just depends on the CLEO.

A trust would bypass all this and fingerprinting , confused again yet ?  :squint:

Only way I'd do that is if it is cheaper and easier. I doubt it is, but correct me if I'm wrong. :cool:

Edit: Found this http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/04/jim-barrett/idea-of-the-day-setting-up-an-nfa-gun-trust/

And this: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/02/jim-barrett/how-to-buy-a-suppressor-using-an-nfa-trust/

Edited by JohnC

The above article I edited in states "Setting up a gun trust will generally run you between $300 and $1000."

So that's added cost on top of the $200 stamp and the cost of the suppressor. But a trust does have a lot of positives, too.

I think you can go through this site and get hooked up with a trust: http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/states/tennessee/

Edited by JohnC
  • 3 weeks later...