Giving a Gun As a Gift

fizik

So my b rother's birthday is coming up in the next month or so. He's turning 21, and I want to buy him a handgun. I'm wanting to do it legally, but still surprise him. If I were to buy a gun, then give it to him ala FTF sale, but free, would I be legal? Since he's not a felon or anything it wouldn't be a straw sale since I'm buying directly for someone else right? I just don't want to have to bring him into the shop with me and let him know in advance what I'm getting him. Thanks.

Edited by fizik
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

I dont think you should have any issues with it. It would be similiar to a Non ffl ftf purchase I would imagine. Sel it to him for a 1.00 if your worried about any type of legal recourse & use the form from this forum.

Perfectly legal as long as he is a TN resident. There is a spot on the 4473 that clearly states you may purchase a firearm as a gift. You are going to be the actual buyer and it's only a straw purchase if you KNOW that the person you are buying it for would not be able to otherwise purchase a firearm.

No problems.

Perfectly legal as long as he is a TN resident. There is a spot on the 4473 that clearly states you may purchase a firearm as a gift. You are going to be the actual buyer and it's only a straw purchase if you KNOW that the person you are buying it for would not be able to otherwise purchase a firearm.

No problems.

i thought i remembered that gift clause, but wanted to check. does anyone have a link to a printable 4473 form or pdf for reference?

thanks guys.

Guest Verbal Kint
ah, thank you mister kobayashi...er, kint.

another late night helper i see.

Insomnia sufferers unite! :D

Speaking of... I may actually stick that movie in and watch it. ;)

it's a helluva flick. mine went missing a while back. i have a feeling it went in the blockbuster box and that's where my extra copy of natural born killers marked'blockbuster' came from. just a suspicion but i'm kinda convinced.

yep yep yep. at least it's available cheaply in bins as a movie no one buys. why, i have no clue. i'd just pirate it a guess. argh matey!

now i'm off to lay down and try to sleep again. it's bad when even benadryl won't knock me out lol. 3:30 and i've been up since 6. grr i think i've got an alien chip in my neck controlling my sleep cycle. :tinfoil:and making me crave brains....mmm, brains!:D

Edited by fizik
yep yep yep. at least it's available cheaply in bins as a movie no one buys. why, i have no clue. i'd just pirate it a guess. argh matey!

now i'm off to lay down and try to sleep again. it's bad when even benadryl won't knock me out lol. 3:30 and i've been up since 6. grr i think i've got an alien chip in my neck controlling my sleep cycle. :tinfoil:and making me crave brains....mmm, brains!:D

Welp I just posted some insomnia pics in the ready room that will put ya right out ;)

Wow guys I thought I had sleep issues but after reading you guys post I will take my 4-5hrs of sleep and won't complain anymore.:D

Back to your post, another idea which we did for my pastor was. I bought him a gift cert. from Coal Creek, which I will add JWP took great care of me. And he was able to go out and shoot any of the guns that he had any interest in and make sure it was the right one for him. So that killed many birds with one stone.

Guest TinkerBell

Its totally ok. Having a bf work at Classic Arms Ive heard that question come up a lot. The recomended thing to do is have a letter wrote up and signed by both of you stating you gave it to him as a gift that way if the gun gets stolen the last place the gun will be legally located is with u and that way you have proof of why its not in your posession.

Guest Verbal Kint

:up:

Yeah, stole "Verbal Kint" from the movie. I've also been known to use "Keyser Söze" as an alias in various online games that I've played. :drool:

:lol:

Yeah, stole "Verbal Kint" from the movie. I've also been known to use "Keyser Söze" as an alias in various online games that I've played. ;)

well that's certainly a fitting alias. but do you add or subtract the linp/gimp thing when you alternate?:cool:

anyway, thanks for the info guys.