Bud's is open in Sevierville

I think until someone post otherwise, if Buds regardless if the entity name is different, you will be paying sales tax. For example, I ordered my father in law a deer antler chandler from Kotula's and was charged sales tax even though their is not one in Tennessee. They are owned by Northern Tool, and since Northern Tool is in our state, you must pay sales tax. They are a separate entity, but the parent company is all the same. I believe same will hold true for Bud's.

There are other choices, Kentucky Gun Company, PSA, JGSales, Ables, Centerfire Systems, CDNN Sports, Impact Guns, and of course you can hold your nose and order from Cheaper Than Dirt;   

The issue of whether a company has to collect and pay sales tax in a given state is based on the determination of "nexus", which is a complex and somewhat controversial matter as there are many factors which can be argued in favor of or against the existence of a nexus relationship. There are also different rules for nexus which result in certain taxes being handled differently, such as sales tax vs. income tax. The following is a pretty good summary of the main nexus factors, however a detailed review is required by certified accountants and/or state revenue boards to be certain whether or not a specific company has a nexus relationship and is in compliance with state tax laws. http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/Issues/2010/Nov/20102904.htm

The person that I consulted with felt that BUDS would have a nexus because they are operating under the same business name, they are advertising together via the same forums (web, facebook, etc.), and all 3 companies were registered out of the same area in Kentucky with the same officers or related officers serving within each company. It also seemed likely that the companies are sharing certain resources such as the trade name, financial accounts, employees, customer lists, distributor accounts, and/or other resources such as customer service reps and service/return privileges. But this person did a quick informal review, agreeing to keep it off the record so as not to start any formal review or inquiry. Thus it is quite possible that BUDS has done their homework and setup the 3 companies in such a way that they can operate in both states without charging sales tax to TN customers that purchase via the internet. It is also possible that BUDS is treading on thin ice here, and may be required to collect and pay TN sales tax at a later date if/when BUDS or the TN state revenue department determines that a nexus relationship exists.

For now I will remain hopeful that BUDS' legal entity shell game is sufficient to allow TN residents to purchase via the web without paying sales tax. I will also hope that if BUDS is later deemed to have a nexus within TN and is required to collect sales tax from all TN residents in the future, that BUDS or the State of TN will not be allowed to charge BUDS customers retroactively for tax on purchases made when BUDS was not collecting the sales tax.

I actually did call, spoke to a lady named Paige, she stated "all online orders are out of the state of Kentucky and we do not charge sales tax on online orders". SO I was wrong. I even confirmed with her that I am a resident of Tennessee and since they now have a brick and mortar store in Tennessee, typically online orders will now have sales tax, she then replied the same stated answer and said they have had multiple calls on this since opening in Sevierville... 

[quote name="contendershooter" post="1174653" timestamp="1406915497"]I actually did call, spoke to a lady named Paige, she stated "all online orders are out of the state of Kentucky and we do not charge sales tax on online orders". SO I was wrong. I even confirmed with her that I am a resident of Tennessee and since they now have a brick and mortar store in Tennessee, typically online orders will now have sales tax, she then replied the same stated answer and said they have had multiple calls on this since opening in Sevierville... [/quote] Guess you didn't read my earlier post above (http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?/topic/80569-Bud's-is-open-in-Sevierville#entry1173514) where I had called both BUDS and a TN State Department of Revenue contact, with BUDS claiming they did not have to collect tax but TN rep saying they should be collecting it. Bottom line: it depends on whether they are deemed to have nexus in TN, and only qualified CPAs and the TN state reps can determine that for certain.

Stopped by on Monday (7/28) on my way for a 5 day vacation with the family, and I was impressed with the facility potential and current over-all gun inventory.  When the store is fully operational and fully stocked with accessories, this will be good mecca pilgrimage for the serious gun folk!  I did like the gals at the registers that said "Welcome to Buds!"  this is a change from other gun stores. 

However, I was not impressed with the hired counter helped, or at least two different sales guys.  First, I was wanting to fondle and handle a Sig P320, since I am in the market.  An older upper 60ish gun PhD counter help gentleman finally helped me, after a 5 min wait.  He was not familiar with what I asking for, he had to ask someone vs. looking himself.  The inventory expert or manager said no they did not have one, but while he was saying that, I spotted one on the wall to the left of the P250.  Hmmmm???   The sales guy handed it to me, after saying I guess we do have one.  Very nice gun to my hand.  As soon as he perceived I was not going to buy the mid $550ish gun, he became impatient and moved on to the next guy to my left who was looking at cheap $250ish gun, even before I handed him back the gun Hmmmmm?  He did not even offer to show me anything else, or ask or push the basic sales 101 questions.  Oh well........... new opening, new employee, busy counter, old guy, he is excused.  Then I casually walked over to the AR section, a young salesman who was more interested in his cell phone than me, finally broke away to help me.  I wanted to see a Colt AR15-A4 if they had one, since I know the KY website usually has some.  Well, he did know it was a 20" barrel rifle (I'm impressed), but that was about it.  He had to call someone on the phone to ask if they had one, which took about 2 min, vs. looking at the inventory.  This time I could not spot one, though those 20" rifles stick out, but they had maybe ~5 on the wall, and none appeared to have the standard Colt hand guard.  Well, none in stock per the mystery person on the phone, and the sales guy took his word and so did I.  New store, new guy, 20 year old, more interested in his cell phone, and I'm in a good mood, he is excused too.

I do need to say the store was very busy with people galking at the pistols, but none at the long guns.  The time was around ~12:30pm.  Not sure if some of you TGO folk were there are not, I did look for TGO decals on the rear of cars and trucks, but none to be found other than my own.  This place when 100% will be nice, once the store is fully operational, stocked and the hired help finds their sales skills and product knowledge.  I give them :up:  :up:  :up: + for potential and I am usually very critical of gun stores.  My :2cents: for what it is worth.

For now I will remain hopeful that BUDS' legal entity shell game is sufficient to allow TN residents to purchase via the web without paying sales tax. I will also hope that if BUDS is later deemed to have a nexus within TN and is required to collect sales tax from all TN residents in the future, that BUDS or the State of TN will not be allowed to charge BUDS customers retroactively for tax on purchases made when BUDS was not collecting the sales tax.

Hate to throw another entity into the shell game, but there is also Budspolicesupply (for the LEO side) and wonder where that site will figure in on the tax issue. Luckily, I had just bought from there a week before the TN store opened, so I didn't have to find out this time. :pleased:

Have any of you people read the posts from the guy who obviously works at the Bud's in Sevierville?  They are a different entity.  If you want to pay tax, as you are "legally" obligated to, do then do so when ordering from KY. 

• Like 1

Stopped by on Monday (7/28) on my way for a 5 day vacation with the family, and I was impressed with the facility potential and current over-all gun inventory.  When the store is fully operational and fully stocked with accessories, this will be good mecca pilgrimage for the serious gun folk!  I did like the gals at the registers that said "Welcome to Buds!"  this is a change from other gun stores. 

However, I was not impressed with the hired counter helped, or at least two different sales guys.  First, I was wanting to fondle and handle a Sig P320, since I am in the market.  An older upper 60ish gun PhD counter help gentleman finally helped me, after a 5 min wait.  He was not familiar with what I asking for, he had to ask someone vs. looking himself.  The inventory expert or manager said no they did not have one, but while he was saying that, I spotted one on the wall to the left of the P250.  Hmmmm???   The sales guy handed it to me, after saying I guess we do have one.  Very nice gun to my hand.  As soon as he perceived I was not going to buy the mid $550ish gun, he became impatient and moved on to the next guy to my left who was looking at cheap $250ish gun, even before I handed him back the gun Hmmmmm?  He did not even offer to show me anything else, or ask or push the basic sales 101 questions.  Oh well........... new opening, new employee, busy counter, old guy, he is excused.  Then I casually walked over to the AR section, a young salesman who was more interested in his cell phone than me, finally broke away to help me.  I wanted to see a Colt AR15-A4 if they had one, since I know the KY website usually has some.  Well, he did know it was a 20" barrel rifle (I'm impressed), but that was about it.  He had to call someone on the phone to ask if they had one, which took about 2 min, vs. looking at the inventory.  This time I could not spot one, though those 20" rifles stick out, but they had maybe ~5 on the wall, and none appeared to have the standard Colt hand guard.  Well, none in stock per the mystery person on the phone, and the sales guy took his word and so did I.  New store, new guy, 20 year old, more interested in his cell phone, and I'm in a good mood, he is excused too.

I do need to say the store was very busy with people galking at the pistols, but none at the long guns.  The time was around ~12:30pm.  Not sure if some of you TGO folk were there are not, I did look for TGO decals on the rear of cars and trucks, but none to be found other than my own.  This place when 100% will be nice, once the store is fully operational, stocked and the hired help finds their sales skills and product knowledge.  I give them :up:  :up:  :up: + for potential and I am usually very critical of gun stores.  My :2cents: for what it is wort

Edited by ghawk249

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, mark it on your calendar, Hickok45 will be at Buds Sevierville on Sept 20th from 12pm to 3pm.  I will be there! 

[url=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/HICKok45_zps02defa4b.jpg.html]HICKok45_zps02defa4b.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Runco
Guest Xring04

I went by today. I think it's gonna be a great place to have in our area. I went to check out the store and pick up some AR goodies.

It did not go as planed.....

They did not have many parts in stock, but what a selection of guns. I ended up picking up a lower as planed, and continued walking around. Then I made a mistake. I did not leave when I found my lower and well, this happened unexpectedly.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xring04/media/DSCF1489_zpscfc51d91.jpg.html]DSCF1489_zpscfc51d91.jpg[/URL] 

Have any of you people read the posts from the guy who obviously works at the Bud's in Sevierville?  They are a different entity.  If you want to pay tax, as you are "legally" obligated to, do then do so when ordering from KY. 

+1. Talked to an employee today & he said they were a franchise store & independent from "The Gun Warehouse" in KY. Ordering online from Bud's has not changed in any way.

Guess you didn't read my earlier post above (http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?/topic/80569-Bud's-is-open-in-Sevierville#entry1173514) where I had called both BUDS and a TN State Department of Revenue contact, with BUDS claiming they did not have to collect tax but TN rep saying they should be collecting it. Bottom line: it depends on whether they are deemed to have nexus in TN, and only qualified CPAs and the TN state reps can determine that for certain.

Its not that difficult to understand, unsure why Bud's is saying that except for the fact they don't want to lose the TN online business.  If they have a physical presence in TN, without regard to where their 'main office' or business is located, they MUST collect sales tax.

<edit> the ONLY way they could get away with it is if these were two completely separate companies, but I think there will be a lot of grey area in that one and when that happens, the tax man always wins.

Edited by Sam1

So in addition to Sevier Indoor, we also have Bud's & Smoky Mountain Firearms.  Competition is a good thing :pleased: Any word on when the range at Bud's will be open?

They told me they were going to try to have the range open before Labor Day.

Edited by jimmydeuce
  • Like 1
Stopped in today to check out the new store. I was impressed with the selection and the the sales staff . I think very employee in the store asked us how we were doing and if they could help us. I ended up buying a couple boxes of 22lr and 22mag just because I hadn't seen any in the wild in a couple years. I was looking for a ruger American compact 7mm-08 for my son but they only had 308 and 243 in stock. I can see this place causing trouble for my marriage and Sons college fund.
We'll consider me unimpressed. I don't know that the hubby and myself will return honestly. He sent me there yesterday to get some .223 ammo that was being advertised in an email. 120 round mini ammo cans for $39.99. After walking around the store and peeking through the glass to see how the range was coming along I made my way to the counter in search of the ammo. They had about 6 of them sitting on the shelf behind the counter. I asked the guy if I could see one to confirm it was what I was there for and after comparing tho the email I said I'd take two. Hubby was on the phone with me and freaked when he heard the guy say the price was $54.99. He swore I had the wrong thing which I assured him was not the case. Course the guy who handed me the ammo had basically dropped it and ran off after mumbling something that vaguely sounded like "pay up front". So I'm standing there, two boxes of ammo and my phone in my hand when another dude walks up and says "if you're looking at the online price it doesn't work here." Umm what?? He proceeded to tell me that "we aren't buds online, we're like cousins of theirs and we don't have the same sales. If you want that price you'll have to order it online and pay shipping so it'll still cost more." At this point I just stared at him... Really.. I drove over an hour to get here, to pay $30over the advertised price. He then GRABBED my phone out of my hand and started clicking the links in the email to show me how much I'd have to pay for shipping and fees to get that ammo from buds online. When he couldn't find it, he dropped my phone back on the counter. I told him he could put those back up because I wasn't playing those games. He was still looking at his phone when I walked out the door. So yeah. They're playing the "we are not the same company" card for more than just sales tax. Buyer beware, add in the local tax at the store to the fact that they basically charge whatever they want regardless of Buds prices and it may not be as great as it sounds. We'd rather support the local guy in our own county anyway.

For the previous post, this is good news.  I for one am a big Buds fan.  I still like the Sevierville store, however and this will sound weird, I doubt I will ever buy anything from the store because, why buy there and when I can buy from their competitor Buds on line?  I got rid of the impulse buy thing years ago, so I have a ton of patience, and though I may like their brick and mortar store, I will always check pricing and will buy from online.  Why buy there when I can save a buck from the online store.  If you have read my other posts on support your local gun store, you will know why. 

Edited by Runco

We'll consider me unimpressed. I don't know that the hubby and myself will return honestly. He sent me there yesterday to get some .223 ammo that was being advertised in an email. 120 round mini ammo cans for $39.99. After walking around the store and peeking through the glass to see how the range was coming along I made my way to the counter in search of the ammo. They had about 6 of them sitting on the shelf behind the counter. I asked the guy if I could see one to confirm it was what I was there for and after comparing tho the email I said I'd take two. Hubby was on the phone with me and freaked when he heard the guy say the price was $54.99. He swore I had the wrong thing which I assured him was not the case. Course the guy who handed me the ammo had basically dropped it and ran off after mumbling something that vaguely sounded like "pay up front". So I'm standing there, two boxes of ammo and my phone in my hand when another dude walks up and says "if you're looking at the online price it doesn't work here." Umm what?? He proceeded to tell me that "we aren't buds online, we're like cousins of theirs and we don't have the same sales. If you want that price you'll have to order it online and pay shipping so it'll still cost more." At this point I just stared at him... Really.. I drove over an hour to get here, to pay $30over the advertised price. He then GRABBED my phone out of my hand and started clicking the links in the email to show me how much I'd have to pay for shipping and fees to get that ammo from buds online. When he couldn't find it, he dropped my phone back on the counter. I told him he could put those back up because I wasn't playing those games. He was still looking at his phone when I walked out the door. So yeah. They're playing the "we are not the same company" card for more than just sales tax. Buyer beware, add in the local tax at the store to the fact that they basically charge whatever they want regardless of Buds prices and it may not be as great as it sounds. We'd rather support the local guy in our own county anyway.

I agree that it sucks, but this is true of most companies. Even Walmart, for example, doesn't price match or honor their own online prices. They don't even price match with other Walmart stores. I've been telling people for years that Bud's online prices sometimes differ from in store prices. Sometimes certain items like guns are often cheaper in the store (online shipping really isn't free...it's just included in the online price) & sometimes items are higher. I learned a long time ago to make a call & ask questions before driving 2-3 hours round trip for something.

Oh so they rode the “Buds is opening a store in Tennessee” train, but when ask for a Buds Special it’s “We aren’t Buds”? Let’s see how that pans out in the future.

Good to see the ordering process for the real Buds has remained unchanged.

I agree that it sucks, but this is true of most companies. Even Walmart, for example, doesn't price match or honor their own online prices.

Target and Best Buy with price match their web sites, even with on-line competitors like Amazon.

Sears, Lowes and Home Depot will price match their web sites.

Walmart, J.C Penny’s and Kohl’s are three that won’t. They will fall in line with the others.