I am in the process of a form 1 SBR and am thinking seriously about also getting a silencer. Specifically, a silencerco specwar 762, a silencerco sparrow and something else in .22 with k-baffles. Do any of you more experienced people know of any dealers within around a 200 mile drive to Nashville that has silencers to demo. I would really like to hear them before making that large of an investment. Thanks in advance.

I got my Specwar 7.62 from Guns and Leather in Greenbriar.  Give Robert a call.  They may have something to test, but not sure.  They had a SS Sparrow in stock last time I was there as well.  Also, get a trust and E-File for the Form 1 and give it a little time and E-File your form 4's when they come back online.  G&L supports E-File.

Edited by Hozzie

I got my Specwar 7.62 from Guns and Leather in Greenbriar.  Give Robert a call.  They may have something to test, but not sure.  They had a SS Sparrow in stock last time I was there as well.  Also, get a trust and E-File for the Form 1 and give it a little time and E-File your form 4's when they come back online.  G&L supports E-File.

I have talked to Robert several times. They have the silencers I want but no demos.

Sorry, but I won't do a trust as its just not worth the cost for my situation.

[quote name="Photoguy67" post="1173307" timestamp="1406645880"]I might take you up on that offer. Do you know how short of a barrel the SDN6 is rated for? I am planning on putting it on an 8 inch 300 blackout.[/quote] 300 BLK is fine for most suppressors down to 7" or so. Not much pressure issues with that caliber

If you have a good place to shoot I have a YHM Phantom M2 762 you can shoot. It's close db wise to the Specwar although I think the Specwar is 5db average quieter

Heck, if it isn't too far, I will bring my Specwar and we will do our own video comparison.  The Specwar is supposed to be good up to 300 Ultra Mag or some ridiculous caliber.

Edited by Hozzie

with this many people volunteering, I'm starting to think maybe we should get some people together and give a demonstration to some politicians about what silencers really are and maybe help turn the tide a little bit on some legislation.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the words.

Sorry for being late in the game here. Had some medical stuff earlier in the week.. just getting back on the saddle again and dusting things off.

Photoguy, if this is your first can I highly recommend you have a 22 in the mix. They're going to give you the biggest wow factor.  While the 30 cals will still be impressive, the 300 is actually a great round to suppress, with a 8" barrel it's still going to have a little pop. I've seen folks disappointed expected to hear the bullet hit the target.  It's doable but the host and round has just as much to do with the equation as the can does.  We shot my 338 Lapua DTA thru a Thunderbeast can a while back and it was as quiet as my 9mm setups are.

But I sell a bunch of YHM cans - phantom LTs, M2s, Mites, you name it... I personally feel they have one of the best bangs for the buck.  I know on a meter this can or that may be 3-4 decibels quieter but you'd be suprised standing beside them. I have trouble telling and in fact there's cans that physically sound quieter even when the meter tells otherwise.  Been doing this for a very long time ..

Silencershop did a 30 cal test a few months back on the meter.  I think the Specwar was on top, Phantom M2 I believe was 2nd with the SDN-6 or LT coming 3rd/4th... it's posted here on the forum but again, having shot them all I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could close their eyes and tell you which was which.  So past that it comes to weight, asthetics, etc... I like the looks of some cans over the weight of others... stuff like that. My suggestion is buy what you like and will work better for your platform.

Currently I have a lightly used YHM Phantom LT and a brand new Thunderbeast 30PSS Moderator here that I can demo/shoot. Just got a couple of YHM Mites in too.  We can pull one and demo it. 

I have new YHM M2 Phantoms and Silencerco Sparrows in route but they were just ordered last week.  It will be another 4-5 weeks before they're here.  I normally don't list inventory until it's here onsite but just a heads up.  I can get you just about anything you want pending availability. 

I also have several different 30 cal and 22 cans on hand in transfer (to customers).  If there's something you just really want to see let me know and if I have one I'll contact the customer and see if he/she is ok with me showing it to you here in the shop.  You could at least get a feel of the weight and the true looks. 

For 22, you'd mentioned the Sparrow. I sell the Sparrows, they're great cans.  The AAC Element II competes with it very well as well. They're in the $400 range and are good if you're thinking you'll be doing multi-caliber - they'll support the 22 mag, 17HRM and a few others.  A big seller for me is the YHM Mite.. it's a single core aluminum suppressor but it shoots well and I can't tell it apart from the others.  It's also priced so you can usually get it AND pay your ATF tax and still be cheaper than the cost on the others can alone.

I have several guys in your neck of the woods that I'm sure, if you can get a demo shoot location, would love me to bring their cans to them and let them have a little personal time with em ;o) ...sure they wouldn't mind you standing behind them and listening.

Kris and others have offered here to let you hear theirs.  If you've never heard a 30 cal, hearing a SDN or M2 or anything will give you an idea of what they all will sound like. 

I'm about 2.5-3 hrs from your area but I'd make a trip up to sling some lead. Even could bring a few of the toys I have in the safe and let you guys play a little.  Just need a location and the ammo...most my toys have a bad appetite ;o)

If there's anything else I can answer feel free to drop me a PM or give me a call. Be happy to check prices and availability.

Stay Safe!

• Like 1

Mike, I shot a friends silencer back in the 80's that was the old type with wipes and had to be repacked about every 500 shots or so and man that was quiet. I know modern silencers can't be that quiet because of no wipes but you also don't have to repack them anymore. :) I know, trade offs. I also recently shot another friends mite and honestly I was not impressed at all. way too loud, but to be honest, I don't know what ammo he had, may have been supersonic. So I am looking for a good (quiet) pistol silencer and some use on rifle. Thinking hard about something with k-baffles but I also really like the cleanable factor of the sparrow even though I know its NOT a very quiet pistol can. so there is my dilema. Starting to look at the specter II but still keeping an open mind. Also looking at the hunter town arms guardian. As far as a 30 cal silencer, I just want a good can with a quick detach because I plan on using it on my 300 blackout and 556 upper with a possibility of a future 308 bolt action. Clear as mud? Thanks for the reply. :)

Yeah we use to stick all kind of stuff down in there... you'd be surprised what a few drops of hand sanitizier will do on a dry can.  We've caught up in technology and the cans today are generally quieter. There's still cans you can shoot wet it just gets messy... but dry/wet does make a difference.

I'm sure ammo was the factor on the mite you heard. You need to slow any bullet down to 900-1000 FPS to get it subsonic.  Shooting a CCI Stinger through any of these cans will have you scratching your head but yeah to get hollywood quiet, it's the right ammo.  I can shoot a mite here and you hear the bullet hit the tree... I live in an all brick neigborhood, close neighbors and I have no issues shooting my 22's and 9mms in the back yard.. can't even hear them if shooting the right ammo. My 308 and 338 bolts are quiet too but I just don't have the back stop for them ... but the noise wouldn't be a probem;o)

The Sparrow gets the nods from the cleaning side but I honesly am not in love with that clam shell lock up they have... I find it's easy to over turn the outer shell... I really like the element II if you're looking for a nice K baffle system. they're nice cans.. come with an assembly/disassembly tool too ...

The 5.56 is a hard round to suppress as you can't get it subsonic and normally cycle the action - like on a gasser... but the 300 does wonderfully. I have some 208s that cycle my guns great and are super quiet...around 950 FPS...they even make heavier bullets .. I've shot a few 220s and I've heard of a new round coming out close to 300gr .. that's what I shoot with the 338!!!  All my 308s have been on bolt guns but I've standardized on my 30 cal rounds to the 208 AMAX ... it's nice to be able to load both 300 BlkOut and 308 for my DTA with the same bullet and powder.

The Phantom LT is a great small QD mounted suppressor... the M2 is slightly larger but does a little better in my opinion b/c of the increased volume. They come off and on quicker than many I've seen... the SND6 is nice but I can sell a phantom for $585 and the SND6 is $800+ ... some shops sell them for $1000.  I don't particularly like the SDN mount as you have to keep the ratchet depressed while it's being removed... not usually a big deal but if you ever have to do it hot it's a PITA.. the phantom your break it free with one turn and then you can baby it off if it's hot ...

308 wise, if you have a bolt action, I'd highly recommend Thunderbeast arms.. they're expensive but these boys do precision cans... I've had pretty good success with the GD on the 308s but if all depends on if the host is a gasser or bolt.  I try to use thread on cans as much as possible when I do bolt setups b/c of the accuracy. The QDs are great for popping on and off but if you want repeatability it takes a special can to pull that off.

Just some stuff to ponder.. you're on the right track and I'm sure with the members here we can find you an opportunity to see, hold and hear them all.. I want ya happy more than anything. Waiting sucks and nothing more heartbreaking than being disappointed on the other end of it.

Mike...like you load your own ammo to shoot subsonic... Hahaha.

I shot the SAS covert wet the other day... Holy smokes... Movie quiet. And I have some 556 subs that'll blow your mind, but won't cycle the gun. Tomorrow I'll work on uploading some videos of shooting suppressed. I did a comparison the other day with my osprey 45 on my 1911 next to my 8.5 300/221 with 208 subs and that was interesting. I have a bunch of stuff I can show ya. I just need to work on uploading it
  • Like 1

Mike...like you load your own ammo to shoot subsonic... Hahaha.

I shot the SAS covert wet the other day... Holy smokes... Movie quiet. And I have some 556 subs that'll blow your mind, but won't cycle the gun. Tomorrow I'll work on uploading some videos of shooting suppressed. I did a comparison the other day with my osprey 45 on my 1911 next to my 8.5 300/221 with 208 subs and that was interesting. I have a bunch of stuff I can show ya. I just need to work on uploading it

Ha right, I barely have time to load my mags with shelf ammo ;o) ... Mr Kris has done a ton of load development for me.  Only one I know outside of a "Type 10 FFL holder big boy name on the side of a box of ammo guy" that loads as much as he does ;o) 

You see I have cracks in my concrete because I have 15000 lbs of machinery sitting on it ... he probably has that much weight in primers alone ;o)   JK but I am expecting to hear about a huge sinkhole opening up in Hendersonville ;o)

In all seriousness he's done a lot of R&D with these cans and loads and is more than willing to share. 

Glad you're enjoying the AI ...Everytime I see you post a pic it makes me feel good I got her to right home!

Edited by LawEnforcementSalesTN
  • Like 1