New pre-lock 642?

otnman

Ok, forgive me if this is sme common knowledge...this is the first revolver I have ever owned. Anyway, been wanting a j-frame for quite some time and decided to stop in the new buds tennessee location today. They had a 642 on the wall and decided I would go for it. They went in the back and brought one out, but they said when they scanned it in the back that it showed $10 cheaper than the display...I said even better! They looked at it closer and it was a pre-lock 642. I couldn't believe the news was even better! I even asked if they had anymore, they didn't, but they offered to buy the one in my hand! Got to the car and checked the spent shell and it was dated 4-29-14. I thought all new j frames had the locks, did I just get real lucky or is this common? Btw, put about 50 rounds down range with it on the way home...sweet pistol! Otnman
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="otnman" post="1174011" timestamp="1406769981"]Ok, forgive me if this is sme common knowledge...this is the first revolver I have ever owned. Anyway, been wanting a j-frame for quite some time and decided to stop in the new buds tennessee location today. They had a 642 on the wall and decided I would go for it. They went in the back and brought one out, but they said when they scanned it in the back that it showed $10 cheaper than the display...I said even better! They looked at it closer and it was a pre-lock 642. I couldn't believe the news was even better! I even asked if they had anymore, they didn't, but they offered to buy the one in my hand! Got to the car and checked the spent shell and it was dated 4-29-14. I thought all new j frames had the locks, did I just get real lucky or is this common? Btw, put about 50 rounds down range with it on the way home...sweet pistol!Otnman[/quote] I bought one 4 or 5 years ago brand new that was pretty lock. You could get them either way then just depended on what - it had. Sold mine because money got tight in college. Have regretted it ever since. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

They are still readily available for law enforcement. (624-1). I just bought one from Budspolice (online) a couple weeks ago.

Do not know if they are strictly for LEO, but do not think so. If ypu look at Buds regular site, it shows both lock & non lock versions.

[quote name="Trekbike" post="1174070" timestamp="1406774827"] It's still a current model which is linked below. It can be ordered if your LGS doesn't have one. [url="http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766181_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y"]http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766181_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y[/url][/quote] Yep, I was just about to chime in with this. I recently sold a 642-1 and bought a current model 442-1 (also readily available). I read that S&W keep producing them because they're so popular among LEOs for BUG use. Edited by cptdean

No lock 442/642's are very common now.  They weren't when I bought my 442 back in 2009.  Typical of my luck they dropped the price and started offering the choice after that.  :wall:

For $350 new, they just can't be beat. I think they are one of the best values on the market.

• Like 2
[quote name="jh225" post="1174799" timestamp="1406940613"]For $350 new, they just can't be beat. I think they are one of the best values on the market.[/quote] I haven't priced one recently but I seem to remember the current pricing is higher than that. I was thinking low $400 ' s but could be wrong.

I haven't priced one recently but I seem to remember the current pricing is higher than that. I was thinking low $400 ' s but could be wrong.

Smith dropped the price considerably for a while.  Don't know what the going rate is now but $350 is what the price fell to in the past couple of years but it may be creeping back up.  That is reality price, not LGS price.

I haven't priced one recently but I seem to remember the current pricing is higher than that. I was thinking low $400 ' s but could be wrong.

Smith dropped the price considerably for a while.  Don't know what the going rate is now but $350 is what the price fell to in the past couple of years but it may be creeping back up.  That is reality price, not LGS price.

I paid $340 shipped not 3 weeks ago for a non-lock 642. Add $25 for transfer and l was out the door.

Yes, they are producing new 642s both with and without the internal lock.  The going rate seems to be about $400 for either model, before taxes and fees.

103810 is the SKU# for the no-lock version, 163810 is the SKU# with the internal lock.