Help with shooting technique

Guest Lil'Shooter

Guest Lil'Shooter

I try not to, but when I shoot, i'm hitting to the left of the target, even though I'm lining up the sights to the center of the target. Hornet Handler says I'm turning the gun to the left just as I pull the trigger, but i'm not aware of doing that. Anyone here have any advice to correct that and get the shots center?

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To see if that really is the problem, which I think is pretty common:

If possible, borrow a laser sight from a friend and bore-sight it to your weapon, then dry fire it with the laser on to see if the muscles you contract as you squeeze the trigger are also causing you to shift the weapon to the left, since the laser dot will provide a visual reference for any movement of the weapon.

To fix it:

Nary a clue.

what I've done to help with that is to squeeze my whole hand...all 5 fingers as I pull the trigger...if you're still pulling to the side and can't figure out a way to fix it..I would suggest stoning the sear to lighten up the trigger pull.

thats about all I know to do.

Guest dotsun

If you've eliminated the ammo and the sights, then it sounds to me like you're anticipating recoil. (If you're right handed) I'd recommend having someone load up a dummy round somewhere in your mag the next time you're at the range and see if you push the gun when the dummy round goes click.

If that does show the problem, then lots of practice on trigger control and dry firing. Make sure you pull the trigger smoothly and let the gun surprise you when it discharges.

I'm sure there are much smarter peeps on here that can chime in with even better ideas, as I'm just a hack. :(

I'm sure there are much smarter peeps on here that can chime in with even better ideas, as I'm just a hack. :)

My HIND FOOT.

you're a dang good pistol shot..:up: Run that "I'm just a hack" game on someone else...:(

Don't make me publish proof of the above statement...:D

Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire.1. Unload your weapon.2. Place all ammunition and magazines in the next room3. Rack the slide of your weapon 5 times to ensure there is no live round in the chamber.4. Aim at your least favorite actor on the TV screen and pull the trigger.5. Check where the sights are once the gun goes click. If the gun went bang then you obviously missed steps 1-3 and now have to purchase a new TV, new underwear and some materials to fix any holes in the wall. If the gun went click you are okay.6. Repeat step 4-5 all night while watching different programs. I just love shooting at the local anchor people on the news or that chick in Medium. She couldn't act her way out of a room with an open door.P.S. If the gun went bang, you might be able to expect a few men in uniform to show up at your door shortly. Explain the situation and they might leave you alone, as long as the round didn't leave the confines of your dwelling.

Guest dotsun
My HIND FOOT.

you're a dang good pistol shot..:D Run that "I'm just a hack" game on someone else...:(

Don't make me publish proof of the above statement...:)

Hah, I have burned any evidence to the contrary of my opinion! :up: But thanks for the compliment. :D

Guest CrazyLincoln

Are you a lefty by chance? Righties can do it too, but I did the exact same thing when I started shooting handguns. I had a friend who helped me figure my technique.

I like the laser idea, but if you don't have access to one, next time you're at the range. Shoot a few rounds as you normally do, and see where they hit. Next fire a few shot using only the very tip of your finger to fire (make SURE you have a good grip on the gun when you do this, if you feel awkward, like you'll lose control, then skip this step) If they hit more accurately, then you are pulling the trigger not squeezing it. If this the the case, then follow this exercise:

Through the next box of ammo, don't worry about aim, just line up relative to the target mentally think you are squeezing the grip with your entire hand as smoothly and gradually as possible. One you get a good feel for the effort it takes to squeeze off a round, then try aiming while the muscle memory is still fresh. Once you get the squeeze down, you won't have to tense up your whole hand every time you shoot.

Do this the next 3 or 4 times you go to the range. Use your first box of ammo to get your trigger muscles good and warmed up, and then worry about aim.

If you have the luxury, start with a gun with a light pull, preferably single action (1911's are great for this exercise), get used to it, then get used to whatever gun you prefer.

This helped me perfect my trigger pull, and whenever I shoot a new gun I plan on shooting more than once, I always spend my first box of ammo on getting used to the trigger pull until I am comfortable with it.

Also, if this is your CCW, it conditions you to be more likely to get a clean trigger pull, from cold, in a self defense situation. This way you are more likely to hit your target rather than accidentally pull the trigger in haste and perhaps miss your target.

I hope this helps. This may or may not be your situation, but I hope my experiences can lead to more enjoyable range time. Happy shooting!

Guest bazookazilla

I live in Memphis and am having the same problem. I am interested in possibly taking a lesson or two. Can anyone recomend a good instructor in my area? (I am partial to Range USA)

Guest clemco51
I live in Memphis and am having the same problem. I am interested in possibly taking a lesson or two. Can anyone recomend a good instructor in my area? (I am partial to Range USA)

will dougan he is either at RANGE USA OR RANGE MASTER - TAKE HIM HE KNOWS HIS STUFF

Let me know how it turns out..

Happy shooting

Shooting for accuracy and consistency, the best thing to remember in terms of trigger control is to make your trigger finger contact the trigger midway between the first knuckle and the tip... then squeeeeeeze.

Jerking the trigger with your knuckle directly in line with it will cause movement in your poa during the pull.

Shooting for defense... the most important thing is to practice enough to know where you will hit, precise sight alignment be damned.

the best thing to remember in terms of trigger control is to make your trigger finger contact the trigger midway between the first knuckle and the tip...

This is the first thing I thought of. Keep the ball of your finger centered on the trigger. If you get into the joint, it will likely make you shoot left.

Sounds like to me that you are putting too much finger on your trigger. You don't happen to put the trigger behind the first joint of your trigger finger instead of using the pad of your finger do you?

Guest Phantom6
This is the first thing I thought of. Keep the ball of your finger centered on the trigger. If you get into the joint, it will likely make you shoot left.

Yup, if you are a right handed shooter and you are shooting a semi-auto, getting too deep (up to the knuckle) or too shallow (finger tip) will both push your shots off to the left.

Even if you are shooting with a fixed rear sight (provided that the rear sight itself is not a groove cut into the frame or slide) check your sights by shooting from a seated, bench rested position using a sand bag or two and concentrating on the placement of that trigger finger. In doing so, if your trigger finger seems aligned correctly, you are squeezing in a smooth and continuous motion and you are still pushing off to the left it could be that your rear sight needs to be adjusted and re-peened (shooting left, move rear sight to right).

I would submit that after trying the above mentioned "home remedies" and getting no better results then you should do as someone suggested and find a good instructor, trainer or coach and spend a buck or two to have them analyze your shooting. Remember, 80% of success in shooting is trigger squeeze and sight placement.

Guest Lil'Shooter

Thanks for all the advice. I May want to spend a few bucks to get some training. I am right handed, shooting a Bursa 380. My problem may be that anticipation of the recoil. I do need more shooting practice, I know.

Guest LegalRaptor
what I've done to help with that is to squeeze my whole hand...all 5 fingers as I pull the trigger...

I'm no expert, but I was taught NOT to squeeze with all 5 fingers, but rather to move ONLY the trigger finger. In fact, I was shown an exercise to practice keeping the other fingers totally immobile when pressing with the index finger TIP. Anyway, if it works for you, it works for you!:D

I'd echo all the sentiments about too much finger on the trigger. Somewhere is a target that diagnoses all the problems depending on where the bullet lands.

Squeeze the gun as hard as you can, as high up on the backstrap as you can hold it. Then pull the trigger smoothly back keeping alignment.

If that doesnt work, have someone else fire the gun and make sure that isnt the problem.

Guest BigBoostDSM

I use that target too when I screw up shooting. I have the same problem, low and left but nice groups. I don't know how to fix it though :confused:

correction_chart.gif