Another Reason To Stock Water in America, Toledo Water

I like this setup!

Do you have any filtration on the water and if so, what do you use?  I ask because I've been considering doing something like this (albeit on a smaller scale) and have been looking at barrels designed for catching rain water off the roof that have filters included that, among other things, filter out the granules that come off the shingles.  My intent would be to use for both drinking (after passing through my Big Berky) and perhaps other uses where filtering wouldn't be as big of a concern.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Right now i have a one of them "mr.coffee" type permanent filters for the main filter, they are a 100 micron filter( http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LDoOfCqEL._SX300_.jpg )..I cut a hole in the big red screw top to fit the filter exactly...So far this has worked very well filtering out most all junk, the only down fall to this filter is you have to clean it out at least weekly.....Currently, i use this catchment system to water my little garden, and wash all the vehicles..The system is not currently setup for completely safe consumption of the water right out of the tote(technically)....In a emergency situation, I can quickly and easily make it consumable by simply pouring about 1/2 cup of bleach into the tote, then the entire 275 gallons would be (technically) safe to consume in about 24 hours...I plan on buying a complete filtering setup for it as i can afford to... :)

here is a great video on how to make a portable filter system...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVI9YDsOZj8

Edited by Someotherguy
[quote name="Someotherguy" post="1175347" timestamp="1407114157"]Here is the pump...So far the thing works great... [url="http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-utility-pump-65836.html"]http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-utility-pump-65836.html[/url][/quote] Thanks for the link. Again very nice setup.
  • Like 1
I'm liking that portable filter system linked above but I would substitute a rotary hand pump to eliminate the power requirement. If I had one of these that would be the ticket for longer term water needs since I'm about 1/4 mile from the Harpeth River. While not ideal, at least it would provide a large supply of water. Water straight from the river could be a gray water source. I do need to add to my rain barrel capacity. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Guest cchelsoi

This is a good point, I have some water but I definitely don't have enough and I need to get more. I also have a good water filter, but still I don't think that would help in a case like this.