What to look for in a tent?

I've used tarptents in winter, down to zero on the Appalachian Trail. The key is to sleep with your water bottle and filter inside the bag so they don't freeze, and have a winter closed cell foam pad and a good winter bag. 

If a tent doesn't stop rain, it's worthless.

Our scout troop uses the model that came just before these. They hold 3 adults and gear (in the vestibule) - its close but you're not rubbing elbows. 2 fit great with a walkway down the middle. 4 boys can fit, but it's extremely tight. They've held up very well for the last 7-8 years ( 10-12 outings a year, 2-3 nights per outing).

We just replaced the shock cording last year, and have a few broken zippers on the "cooler access door" the older version had. I don't think these newer models have that. Instead they've got generous webbing which should help with the poorer ventilation of the older model.

Of course, one of our adults is a civil war re-enactor - he brings his A frame to EVERY outing. I think he got his from Fall Creek Sutlery, it's a 6ft tall 9 foot long single door (back door added).

These are more expensive, but it's really great for camping.

The captain in their group uses a wall tent with a fly pitched in front. It makes for a very spacious tent.

A note about canvas: it sheds water very well, even in a downpour - but you can get a fine mist inside the tent. Wool blankets and synthetic sleeping bags will keep you warm. Down and or cotton will not. It gets wet, and you get cold...

$120 with the extra %25 off.

excellent tent and REI will always make it right if theres a problem.

http://www.rei.com/product/878559/kelty-grand-mesa-3-tent-2014-closeout

roomy and good ventilation with a full fly make this an excellent 3 season 2 person plus gear tent.

also, it's rugged and is not particularly garish with the colors, as some tents are.

the REI brand tents are excellent as well... i have one over 20 years old and it's still bombproof.
a bit more money, but i don't think you can buy a better tent than the Halfdome or the quarter dome for the money. Edited by crashgordan

$120 with the extra %25 off.

excellent tent and REI will always make it right if theres a problem.

http://www.rei.com/product/878559/kelty-grand-mesa-3-tent-2014-closeout

roomy and good ventilation with a full fly make this an excellent 3 season 2 person plus gear tent.

also, it's rugged and is not particularly garish with the colors, as some tents are.

the REI brand tents are excellent as well... i have one over 20 years old and it's still bombproof.
a bit more money, but i don't think you can buy a better tent than the Halfdome or the quarter dome for the money.

Yeah, that's a good tent for car camping, would be way too damn heavy for backpacking though. If you are hiking, I wouldn't get a tent any heavier than 3 lbs. 

REI makes good gear, also, the coleman gear is getting a lot better. It used to be heavy as hell, getting lighter now. Nice to see more companies getting into the ultralight thing. See too many people hate hiking and give it up because they go out in the woods with a 50+ lb pack and it is a chore. Mine is generally about 18lbs fully loaded, that's gear, food and water. 

Heh, yeah. I went camping with some work buddies a while back and 2 or 3 of them had gone for military sized backpacks and loaded them to the gills and suffered for it. Mine was about half the size and weight of theirs and I still think I could have left some stuff out (though there were a couple of things I would have liked to have added in too). I don't shave ounces like some do but it all adds up.
Guest ryates217
Always double the size for your needs. If you need to sleep 2 get a 4 person tent, if you need it for 3 get a 6 person tent. Make sure the rainfly covers the windows. Nothing ruins a camping trip like a wet tent and water comes in three ways, a hole in the material, mesh at the windows, and at the seams. The best thing you can do for vany tent is apply seam sealer, seam sealer, and a little more seam sealer.

It really depends on what kind of camping you and your wife want to do.  We have a family of 6 (with the future son-in-law). We dump/car camp.  If all of us go, we take a large Coleman Evanstan and a Kelty 4 person tent.  We also take a Eno Double Nest Hammack and a lightweight polypro tarp.  Both are mine for backpacking, but my son usually claims the hammack when we are just camping. We also have sleep on air mattresses.  No sleeping on the ground anymore for me.  I'm too old.  Besides, I have nothing else to prove.  I know I am a wimp.  :D

I'm not one that is much on small tents, especially when it's raining and I'm stuck in a tent.  For three or four of us, the Evanstan is perfect, for two queen sized air mattresses.  We also usually hang a large polyurethane tarp over the top of the tent for added rain protection, so we bring plenty bungee cords and jute twine with us.  The kelty will handle one queen size air mattress. I usually just use a sleeping bag or quilt in the hammack.

We got the Coleman Evanstan on sale at the Coleman outlet store in Sevierville, (next to the New Bud's Guns ;) ).  The Kelty came form REI and we caught it on sale too.  REI and Sierra almost always run a sale on the weekend.  Just go on their website.