Ultimate Hi-Point Pistol

Oh Shoot

How funny would it be to place against some high end rigs.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with Highpoints as far as reliability goes. They are a blowback, not locked breech, gun so they are going to be safe with any ammo you shoot out of them. And because they are blowback they are so much more reliable. I dare anyone to find someone who has actually owned a highpoint that says theirs wasn't reliable. Yes they are ugly as sin and cheap as hell but they are reliable.

• Like 5
  • Moderators
[quote name="Dolomite_supafly" post="1175804" timestamp="1407245371"]How funny would it be to place against some high end rigs. BTW, there is nothing wrong with Highpoints as far as reliability goes. They are a blowback, not locked breech, gun so they are going to be safe with any ammo you shoot out of them. And because they are blowback they are so much more reliable. I dare anyone to find someone who has actually owned a highpoint that says theirs wasn't reliable. Yes they are ugly as sin and cheap as hell but they are reliable.[/quote] The reliability issues don't stem from the blowback design, but from the magazine construction. My first handgun was a Hi-Point. It was not reliable at first. Then I purchased new magazines for it. At one time there was (and still may be) a thread devoted to the tweaking of the magazine feed lips to increase reliability as they had a tendency to spread over time when left loaded. The metal used to make the magazines is a bit thin & weak. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
[quote name="Dolomite_supafly" post="1175804" timestamp="1407245371"]How funny would it be to place against some high end rigs. BTW, there is nothing wrong with Highpoints as far as reliability goes. They are a blowback, not locked breech, gun so they are going to be safe with any ammo you shoot out of them. And because they are blowback they are so much more reliable. I dare anyone to find someone who has actually owned a highpoint that says theirs wasn't reliable. Yes they are ugly as sin and cheap as hell but they are reliable.[/quote] Have to agree. The first Christmas my wife and I were dating she bought me a Hipoint 9mm just because she didn't know what was what. I've never had a malfunction. It's one of the guns I'll never sell simply because it was a gift from her. I've since owned a couple of Hipoint carbines as well that remind me of an AK they run so well

The reliability issues don't stem from the blowback design, but from the magazine construction. My first handgun was a Hi-Point. It was not reliable at first. Then I purchased new magazines for it. At one time there was (and still may be) a thread devoted to the tweaking of the magazine feed lips to increase reliability as they had a tendency to spread over time when left loaded. The metal used to make the magazines is a bit thin & weak.

Yep, mags are the Achilles Heel. As soon as the next round sits too level instead of correct upward angle, fail. Learned that early on with the carbine, took it out new ran a couple hundred rounds flawlessly. Loaded mags up at home, next time out couldn't shoot 3 in a row without stoppage. Mistake was I had used Uplula to load and it had spread the feed lips.

I keep the feed lips on both pistol and carbine mags close enough together that they are a bit difficult to load, and I do them by hand. Bout time I limbered up my high end puppies on range rotation, come to think of it. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Concur on the observations pertaining to the HP magazines being less then optimal. I also concur on they're uglier than a junk yard dog at midnight. Still though people buy them as intro level guns and often as primary guns thus becoming a cult classic.

Have to agree. The first Christmas my wife and I were dating she bought me a Hipoint 9mm just because she didn't know what was what. I've never had a malfunction. It's one of the guns I'll never sell simply because it was a gift from her. I've since owned a couple of Hipoint carbines as well that remind me of an AK they run so well

Still though people buy them as intro level guns and often as primary guns thus becoming a cult classic.

My mom has been shooting for most of her life.  She probably had as much to do with me learning to shoot as my dad did.  Thing is, most of her experience was with rifles and the pistols she had owned/shot were mostly little, 'mouse gun' types.

At one point, a few years back, I decided to attempt to get her to try out something in 9mm.  I didn't think she'd make the leap, herself and at the time I didn't have a 'spare' 9mm to loan her so I wanted to buy her one to get her started.  However, I didn't want to spend a lot of $$$ in case she didn't like 9mm, at all.  I found a used (honestly, like new) Hi-Point at the LGS and figured that would get her started.  My thinking was that, after a month or two of owning it as a 'start up' pistol, she could trade it toward something 'better'.  Yeah, that ain't gonna happen because she loves the thing.  She shoots it better than any, other pistol I have seen her shoot (including my 5.5 inch barreled S&W 22A.)  When I convinced her to get her HCP she used it to qualify (she has since bought a Kel Tec P32 for carry.)  Apparently, she shot better than anyone else in her class and said that people saw how well she did and were asking what kind of gun she was using.  She likes it so well that when she saw a used Hi Point .45 pistol at the LGS, she bought it.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1