Grail alert.

I couldn't believe what I found last Friday.  I found my grail knife in almost the exact configuration I had talked to the maker about making for me.  I bought it today.  This will be the last knife, outside of Graham's next midtech, that I will buy for quite a while.  I should have it Wednesday, and I will post pics when I get it.  I am very excited.  Anyone want to take a guess on what it is?

Yuna  Assassin?

Nah. I canceled my Yuna order.  He makes really nice stuff, but there are so many makers out there that make more appealing stuff to me.

This probably won't be of help (maybe to a few it might be).  The maker is somewhat considered a legend in the custom knife community and he lives in Florida.

[quote name="mav" post="1175788" timestamp="1407241717"]Nah. I canceled my Yuna order. He makes really nice stuff, but there are so many makers out there that make more appealing stuff to me. This probably won't be of help (maybe to a few it might be). The maker is somewhat considered a legend in the custom knife community and he lives in Florida.[/quote] Randall? Edited by Lumber_Jack

Nope, not Randall. 

The knife coming is a folder.

(edit) - I would also add that his son makes knives too and they are in very high demand.

Edited by mav

I've made some pretty serviceable knives out of 1/4" steel plate, scrap metal, ect. I just couldn't justify spending that much on a knife when I could just make one with a few tools. Not that mine is equal quality of course, but more than good enough for any task you would need a knife for, including survival. I would trust my life with any of the blades I've made. I've also knapped primitive stone knives, stomped a tin can flat and sharpened the edge with a diamond rod to make a knife. 

I've made some pretty serviceable knives out of 1/4" steel plate, scrap metal, ect. I just couldn't justify spending that much on a knife when I could just make one with a few tools. Not that mine is equal quality of course, but more than good enough for any task you would need a knife for, including survival. I would trust my life with any of the blades I've made. I've also knapped primitive stone knives, stomped a tin can flat and sharpened the edge with a diamond rod to make a knife.

Dude what is up with you lately? Every post I see from you is basically saying that nothing is worth it. In the shotgun thread you were going on and on about how it was pointless, and how there was no need for expensive things. In the thread about eggs you were going on about buying cheap beaters since nice cars are useless. Now you are carrying on about how buying a nice knife is useless since you can make do with a serviceable one you make. Which, btw, won't be very serviceable unless its made from a high carbon steel and heat treated. Otherwise its just a k ife shaped object that will never hold an edge and will bend easily. I'm not picking on you, just saying there is no need to constantly run down people spending money on things they want. Its starting to be like hanging out with Eeyore.

To Mav, hurry up and post pics. The suspense is killing us lol.
  • Like 5

Dude what is up with you lately? Every post I see from you is basically saying that nothing is worth it. In the shotgun thread you were going on and on about how it was pointless, and how there was no need for expensive things. In the thread about eggs you were going on about buying cheap beaters since nice cars are useless. Now you are carrying on about how buying a nice knife is useless since you can make do with a serviceable one you make. Which, btw, won't be very serviceable unless its made from a high carbon steel and heat treated. Otherwise its just a k ife shaped object that will never hold an edge and will bend easily. I'm not picking on you, just saying there is no need to constantly run down people spending money on things they want. Its starting to be like hanging out with Eeyore.

To Mav, hurry up and post pics. The suspense is killing us lol.

Wasn't running people down, just showing that there is better things than spending money and chaining yourself to material possessions. And the knife was serviceable, I did all kinds of things with it, split wood, ect, everything I'd use a knife for, and I kept an edge on it with a pocket diamond rod. I gave it to a friend and he still uses it. 

I'm trying to open people's eyes to freedom from possessions. I know this goes against the grain of our brainwashed society, but there is freedom in it. 

Well...Nobody correctly guessed on what I got.  That is okay as I am sure that only a few people on the forum have ever heard of this maker.  Those in the custom knife community know him well, and he has been sought out for decades by top collectors.  His knives are pretty much considered top shelf; you really can't get any better.  He is Todd Fischer, and the knife I got is an Archangel XL.

I became familiar with the Archangel a little over a year ago when a fellow coworker showed me his 3.25" Archangel.  I was absolutely floored at the precision.  I have never seen any folder that well machined.  It was an incredibly overbuilt knife, but it was also a meticulous piece of art as well.  It was a little on the small side for my taste at 3.25".  However, when I found out he made an almost 5" XL version, I had to have one.  I tried getting Mr. Fischer to make me one, but unfortunately his books are closed until 2017.  I was sort of surprised by that at the time considering his table price is a lot higher than most (Marsh and Rexford are two that I can think are higher).  Now, it doesn't surprise me at all.  These knives are entirely made by Mr. Fischer, and he puts a lot of time in their manufacture.

Here are the specs on my knife:

Blade length: 4.75"

Closed length: 6.5"

Overall length:  11.25"  (Holy cow)

Blade steel:  S90V  :)

Handle material:  Sheep horn with orange peel titanium bolsters

Weight: 12.7 oz

Guys, I wish I had a better camera and knew how to take better pictures so you could really appreciate the quality of this knife.  Anyway, enough of my rambling, here are some pics.

20140806_122038_zpsf583f7fa.jpg

20140806_122123_zpsdb0e9383.jpg

20140806_122221_zpsaa1458ff.jpg

20140806_122240_zps4c7b8f50.jpg

20140806_122307_zps8f03487f.jpg

20140806_122336_zpsb2902bfb.jpg

20140806_122450_zpsc03acdf6.jpg

20140806_122540_zpsd37bf06e.jpg

20140806_122605_zps385fce60.jpg

20140806_122659_zpsdf9b6e3f.jpg

20140806_122839_zps99d6dc0b.jpg

I wish I had a few other knives with me to compare this too, but I am at work so these pics will have to do.  This is the largest and most precise folder I have seen.  Enjoy.

• Like 5

I'm trying to open people's eyes to freedom from possessions. I know this goes against the grain of our brainwashed society, but there is freedom in it. 

That is all fine and good, and I honestly respect your ability to make knives from scrap material (I can't do that).  However, stop thread crapping.  This thread is not for that discussion.

• Like 2

That's a really cool looking knife. I love the shape of that blade.

Me too.  The blade shape is what attracted me to the knife in the first place.  It is just really appealing to my eye.