Geissele Triggers: Worth It?

So I just ordered a Geissele SSA trigger for my new BCM AR build. Was very hesitant putting that much money into just a trigger, but from the reviews I have seen, everyone that owns one says they are absolutely worth it.

Any of you guys have any personal experience with them?

I've never had an issue with the stock triggers on any firearm I've used. This seems like a whole "gear replacing skill" thing to me, honestly. If you are a good shooter, the trigger won't matter. 

I've never had an issue with the stock triggers on any firearm I've used. This seems like a whole "gear replacing skill" thing to me, honestly. If you are a good shooter, the trigger won't matter. 

On a handgun, maybe.

On a rifle.... no way.  The Geisselle is worth every penny.

• Like 1

Plenty of competitive shooters would disagree

Edited by leftyk82

On a handgun, maybe.

On a rifle.... no way.  The Geisselle is worth every penny.

Possibly, haven't tried one, I shot well with the rifles I've used though. I'd prefer to invest that money in ammo instead and get to the same level using practice as I would with a better trigger.

Plenty of competitive shooters would disagree

Sure, if I got a lot of money doing that, I'd definitely build a blinged out rifle with all top end parts for competitions. Not really needed for everyday things though. If it's cool and you like it, go for it. I'm sure it's a good piece of equipment. Supposed to be good for bullpups, they have crap triggers. 

I train to have skill replacing gear. I do fast point shooting with a rifle at close range, so I don't need optics. That's one example, might not work for everyone.

Sure, if I got a lot of money doing that, I'd definitely build a blinged out rifle with all top end parts for competitions. Not really needed for everyday things though. If it's cool and you like it, go for it. I'm sure it's a good piece of equipment. Supposed to be good for bullpups, they have crap triggers. 

I train to have skill replacing gear. I do fast point shooting with a rifle at close range, so I don't need optics. That's one example, might not work for everyone.

like the saying goes, not wrong just different.  

skill replacing gear, interesting subject and one worth thinking about.  i tend to be a gearhead in most of my interests......just the way i am.  i don't think, however, that skill can shave pounds or take grit out of a trigger pull, but you or others might be able to shoot just as well with a Geissele or any number of makers.  

to the OP's query.......you won't be disappointed.  and on the off chance you are, you'd have plenty of buyers for your slightly used trigger :)

Edited by leftyk82
  • Like 1

like the saying goes, not wrong just different.  

skill replacing gear, interesting subject and one worth thinking about.  i tend to be a gearhead in most of my interests......just the way i am.  i don't think, however, that skill can shave pounds or take grit out of a trigger pull, but you or others might be able to shoot just as well with a Geissele or any number of makers.  

to the OP's query.......you won't be disappointed.  and on the off chance you are, you'd have plenty of buyers for your slightly used trigger :)

Interesting, I'm the opposite of a gearhead, I try to own as little as possible. For the skill replacing gear thing, it doesn't work for everything, but I have found it works for a lot. Some examples are, I learned to trim my nails with a knife or scissors, so I don't need nail clippers. I sew with dental floss for repairs and making my own gear, so all I need is a needle, I use vise grips for heavy materials to push the needle through instead of buying an awl. 

Those are just a few examples, I'm sure you get the concept.

I run the SD-C in my duty gun and believe it's worth it. If I need to deploy it I would rather have the skill and the gear. Now if you are just buying the trigger to substitute for never practicing don't do it. I just know I will never need a gun and think "man I wish this trigger was worse" Edited by cch2a
  • Like 1

Again it kinda of depends on what your doing with your AR.   If your doing more target and benchrest stuff a good 2 stage trigger at a great price would be RRA NM.   I have 2 geissele SSA-E, a CMC drop in, hiperfire, RRA NM 2-stage, and a standard single stage AR trigger, and I use each one for different purposes.  That being said you can always get use to a standard single stage trigger, but the geissele's, ar gold, timney and other triggers are definitely more refined in break, reset.   I never get enough rounds down range anymore so my trigger control and timing improve with these upper end and cost triggers. That said the Geissele's are nice solid triggers, and you get what you pay for.

Edited by sigrug17

I grabbed a SSA-E for $184 from trading place pawn a few weeks back. Absolutely amazing trigger, well worth the money! However, I will argue that it is only worth the money if you are looking for precision. IMO, not worth the cost for a range toy - grab an ALC ACT trigger for $60 for that weapon.

I will have an SD-C in my .300 BLK soon. I'm gonna use it for hunting but don't want it too light where an ND could be an issue, heaven forbid I forget the first two safeties. "Worth it" is such a subjective phrase that depends on how much money you have and how much you would like to have a better trigger pull. Unlike ab28 I don't shit in a bucket and pedal a bike to keep the lights on. I'm not rich but I can afford things if I desire, and enjoy the leisure of doing so. Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 2

I would say a Geissele trigger isn't a necessity on an AR, but they do make them easier to shoot well, and more enjoyable to shoot. If that's worth $150-200 to you, go for it. If you are quite budget conscience, you can get by with a less expensive trigger. As other have stated, if you buy one and don't like it, it wouldn't be difficult to resell.

• Like 1

If you can feel the rifle, and marksmanship is important for you, Geissele triggers are a wonderful mod.  worth it?  depends. 

I will also add that the trigger is more than just how it feels on take-up, break, and reset.  The trigger is the juice/mojo behind your firing pin, so even though it is not rocket science, every part matters, and I like my triggers to be designed (and manufactured) by someone who cares.  

The trigger group is also what stands between every rifle holder and a malfunction ND.  

I have never used one in an AR, but it was worth every penny in my SCAR. I will say I have been really impressed with the Rock River NM two stage for AR's. They are about $100 shipped. Maybe someone here can compare one to a Geiselle.

RRA 2 Stage is definitely a good buy.  I had one on my HP service rifle and used it for a while before upgrading to a Geissele National Match.  The RRA was more gritty than the G; just wasn't as smooth.  

I had been told to never try a Geissele……because after that I wouldn't want anything else.

Possibly, haven't tried one, I shot well with the rifles I've used though. I'd prefer to invest that money in ammo instead and get to the same level using practice as I would with a better trigger.

Are you sure you can get to the same level without it though? I think you are underestimating the benefit of a crisp 4.5lb trigger vs 10-12lb trigger or what have you.  There is a certain amount of mechanics that are working against you when trying to maximize precision and speed,can you shoot a rifle with a 12 pound trigger as fast as one with a trigger almost a third of that... meh maybe but its going to be a workout(Even Jerry Miculek gets fatigued with a heavy trigger) but the more important question is can you shoot a heavy trigger as fast while maintaining the same precision as you would with the rifle of a lighter trigger and I would say I highly doubt it however Im sure there are people who are exceptions to the norm and you may be one of them, but I know professional shooters typically run light crisp triggers over heavy mushy ones for a reason. Thats not even taking into account that the heavy weight of most factory triggers is not typically even the main problem those triggers normally exhibit a lot of issues that just compound the problem.. to much travel,over travel,long resets,mushy breaks etc as to where most aftermarket triggers like Geissele or Timney are the opposite with minimal travel,over travel,crisp break, short reset. 

I do understand where you are coming from though,a nice trigger tends to have the ability to mask flaws in someones shooting ability etc...however if it can make someone with questionable shooting ability look good it has to be that much better for someone who has proper technique and understands the fundamentals of shooting.

To the OP I run either Geissele or Timneys in every rifle I have(Or atleast every rifle they are available for) with the exception of my KAC SR15 which came factory with a great 2 stage match trigger.

Edited by ~48_South~

Are you sure you can get to the same level without it though? I think you are underestimating the benefit of a crisp 4.5lb trigger vs 10-12lb trigger or what have you.  There is a certain amount of mechanics that are working against you when trying to maximize precision and speed,can you shoot a rifle with a 12 pound trigger as fast as one with a trigger almost a third of that... meh maybe but its going to be a workout(Even Jerry Miculek gets fatigued with a heavy trigger) but the more important question is can you shoot a heavy trigger as fast while maintaining the same precision as you would with the rifle of a lighter trigger and I would say I highly doubt it however Im sure there are people who are exceptions to the norm and you may be one of them, but I know professional shooters typically run light crisp triggers over heavy mushy ones for a reason. Thats not even taking into account that the heavy weight of most factory triggers is not typically even the main problem those triggers normally exhibit a lot of issues that just compound the problem.. to much travel,over travel,long resets,mushy breaks etc as to where most aftermarket triggers like Geissele or Timney are the opposite with minimal travel,over travel,crisp break, short reset. 

I do understand where you are coming from though,a nice trigger tends to have the ability to mask flaws in someones shooting ability etc...however if it can make someone with questionable shooting ability look good it has to be that much better for someone who has proper technique and understands the fundamentals of shooting.

To the OP I run either Geissele or Timneys in every rifle I have(Or atleast every rifle they are available for) with the exception of my KAC SR15 which came factory with a great 2 stage match trigger.

Yeah, that's true. If I was gonna put one mod on a rifle, it would probably be the trigger. 

I will have an SD-C in my .300 BLK soon. I'm gonna use it for hunting but don't want it too light where an ND could be an issue, heaven forbid I forget the first two safeties. "Worth it" is such a subjective phrase that depends on how much money you have and how much you would like to have a better trigger pull. Unlike ab28 I don't #### in a bucket and pedal a bike to keep the lights on. I'm not rich but I can afford things if I desire, and enjoy the leisure of doing so.

I don't have a problem paying the bills. The point in saving money is to retire earlier, or work less, have more free time, ect. The less money you spend, the more freedom you have. Due to my frugality, I don't have to work while I am in college, since I have GI Bill and student loans. I can focus on my studies instead. I considered mods for rifles when I had one, an AK and an AR, I looked at pretty much everything out there, ACOGs, triggers, ect. Though a good trigger would be one mod I would get, most/all of that stuff isn't necessary. A bone stock rifle is more than good enough to get the job done. You don't need a bunch of fancy equipment. 

I, personally, would rather spend that money on ammo and go to the range more. 
Edited by ab28