Smoke and Tobacco free!!!

Well, I have been smoke free for 35 days as of today. I smoked for 57 years and didn't think I would ever quit. I had tried a few times and made it a few days is all. Ya'll are gonna laugh at how I did it to this point but it's the truth. My old dog goes every time the Jeep moves and about the 4th of July we had been out running errands and she was in back seat with paws and front half of her up front on console looking out front window and I had a/c running and noticed the jeep was kinda full of smoke from Cigarette I was smoking and I realized that my old dog was breathing all that secondary smoke all the time both in the jeep and house. I made her a promise I would quit smoking and on July 3rd at 9:45 at night before going to sleep I smoked my last cigarette. Have not had one since. Had 3 packs on table in kitchen and gave them to a guy that smokes that came by the house. Gathered up all my ash trays, rinsed them out, put them in dishwasher and washed them and put all but one up in a cabinet. Left one out for company that stops in that smokes. Every so often I catch myself reaching for shirt pocket but not as much as that first week.  I am beginning to be able to smell things I had not smelled in sometime.  Foods are beginning to taste different. Still will miss them like after a meal or especially with morning coffee but it is getting easier. I don't plan on losing this fight or breaking my promise to my old dog................ :up:  :up:  :up: 

• Like 11

That's great! My grandpa chewed through about 5 gallons of saltwater taffy when he quit but you can do it! I didn't smoke or dip for but a few years but quit both of them cold turkey at the same time. You''ll feel 100% better in a month or two and wonder why you didn't quit sooner.

Congratulations, I have also stopped smoking cigarettes and it does get easier but, I now vapor. Went from 24mg to 6 mg of nicotine in less then two months. Next month I will get down to 3mg or 0. I am more into the flavors then the nicotine. I do German chocolate cake, caramel, cherry cake and some mixed fruit. It has gone from almost $100.00 a week to about $5.00 or $6.00 a week. Edited by joe45
  • Like 1

Well, I do have my challenges at times but this pass quick. I thought one of my biggest challenges would be if a friend stopped by and fired one up and was smoking but surprisingly that was not even an issue at all. Morning coffee was, after a meal was. Pouring baits was, but in all honesty the hardest one is watching some person light one up on the television. One of my favorite programs is Deadliest Catch and those guys are all chain smokers and that show was tough to watch but it's over for the season now thank goodness......... :up: :up: :rofl:

• Like 1

Congrats!  I quit several years ago and after trying a few times with a few different approaches cold turkey was the only thing that really worked.  Break the chemical addiction ASAP and get rid of ANYthing in your possession that could tempt you back.  Create barriers as well - don't hang out with the other smokers etc until you are SOLID otherwise the 2nd hand stuff is a killer temptation.

Edited by viscero
  • Like 1
You've done a great thing for yourself and your family (and, apparently, your dog!) I still love the smell of a cigarette almost eight years after quitting but have never been tempted to light one. Keep it up.. Each day is easier and life is better.

Congrats!  I quit several years ago and after trying a few times with a few different approaches cold turkey was the only thing that really worked.  Break the chemical addiction ASAP and get rid of ANYthing in your possession that could tempt you back.  Create barriers as well - don't hang out with the other smokers etc until you are SOLID otherwise the 2nd hand stuff is a killer temptation.

Well, I hav

Well I have seen all the TV ads about these help stop smoking drugs and hell, the smoking and cigarettes are safer than the drugs are to try and stop. Smoking has never made me want to kill someone or myself but those Chantix drugs do........ :shrug: I thought if that's the best they got to offer, A promise to my old dog and a bit of Cold Turkey will do it for me. So far I'm not having any issues to speak of. I can be around other smokers and not a problem. Most of my friends that no I have quit will stop by and visit a few minutes but when they need to light up they either go out side or just leave. I'm trying my best to not turn into the Good Year Blimp in the process. I am drinking a ton of water but I don't guess that will hurt. My Doctor will be thrilled as long as I don't gain 50 lbs but she said the weight won't be as bad as the smoking but I have only gained 1.5 lbs to date and i think that is water........ :rofl:

The only way to quit is to just stop and go through the first few days of hell then adapt to a lifestyle change for a couple of weeks.

Wish I could take my own advice.

Actually I didn't have Hell week when I quit. It was actually fairly easy and the only life style change was not emptying ash trays all over the house and just washing them and putting them in cabinet for company. I think that because my old dog stays close by and I made he a promise and I will not break a promise unless I am on my death bed that helps. It's like silent counseling just watch her facial expressions when I talk to her............. :rofl:  :rofl:  :up: 

Keep up the good work! My mom died of lung cancer at age 39. I've  hated the cancer sticks ever since. Put the money you spend on cigarettes into a jar every day for a year. At the end of a year you can celebrate by getting yourself a new toy. It has worked for several people i know that have quit. The money piles up pretty fast depending on how much you smoke. Added benefit, you will feel better and may save even more by not getting sick with cancer, COPD, emphysema and many other diseases. Good luck, I'm rooting for you.

.... I realized that my old dog was breathing all that secondary smoke all the time both in the jeep and house. I made her a promise I would quit smoking .... I don't plan on losing this fight or breaking my promise to my old dog................ :up:  :up:  :up:

There's a reason it's said that a man's best friend is a dog.