What happened to member ab28?

• Admin Team

Let's see , Saturday night dink a liter of Jack add a few beers and get mad about 3:45 when I run out of cigarettes , pull off a major rant until 7AM and I'm outta here ? :)
Don't worry , Otis here has been throttled back by the ol war department ...

I actually read this one as a weird sign that things may be changing for the better.

Here's the thing. That post was around 0345CDT, and I don't think I booted him until around 1100. When I saw the post, I was worried that someone had reported it and no one noticed. I checked the reports and no one had reported it, yet. To my mind, that means y'all were making pancakes, out shooting or doing something. We love an active community, but I feel like several of the administrative decisions we've had to make over the last year or so were directly related to people just not having other outlets and thus spending maybe more time than is healthy on here.

So congratulations? I hope y'all were out shooting some .22LR bulk packs or something :)

Interesting, I'm the opposite of a gearhead, I try to own as little as possible. For the skill replacing gear thing, it doesn't work for everything, but I have found it works for a lot. Some examples are, I learned to trim my nails with a knife or scissors, so I don't need nail clippers. I sew with dental floss for repairs and making my own gear, so all I need is a needle, I use vise grips for heavy materials to push the needle through instead of buying an awl. 

Those are just a few examples, I'm sure you get the concept.

I will have an SD-C in my .300 BLK soon. I'm gonna use it for hunting but don't want it too light where an ND could be an issue, heaven forbid I forget the first two safeties. "Worth it" is such a subjective phrase that depends on how much money you have and how much you would like to have a better trigger pull. Unlike ab28 I don't #### in a bucket and pedal a bike to keep the lights on. I'm not rich but I can afford things if I desire, and enjoy the leisure of doing so.

I enjoyed this exchange between ab28 and another member. :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

The sad thing in losing this member was that he actually had some useful stuff to contribute.  He through hiked the Appalachian Trail with what most would consider ultralight gear.  From my perspective, being able to hike 2000 miles with less than 20lbs. on your back gives you some wisdom that a lot of folks on here could benefit from. 

I hope that he finds what he's looking for.

• Like 4

.... He through hiked the Appalachian Trail with what most would consider ultralight gear......

Well that was one of his claims....., sort of like him saying that he was such a great shooter that he didn't need a good trigger.  :ugh:

• Like 3
I saw the last post just minutes before he was booted and it was as out of line as anything I have seen on web. I mean jaw dropping bad. Thanks mods for keeping it....friendly. Edited by jtmaze

The sad thing in losing this member was that he actually had some useful stuff to contribute.  He through hiked the Appalachian Trail with what most would consider ultralight gear.  From my perspective, being able to hike 2000 miles with less than 20lbs. on your back gives you some wisdom that a lot of folks on here could benefit from. 

I think his problem was the he also wanted US to find what HE was looking for a little too much. But yeah I thought he seemed like a knowledgeable guy. 

• Like 1

The sad thing in losing this member was that he actually had some useful stuff to contribute. He through hiked the Appalachian Trail with what most would consider ultralight gear. From my perspective, being able to hike 2000 miles with less than 20lbs. on your back gives you some wisdom that a lot of folks on here could benefit from.

Yeah, I got a kick out of some of his posts, and he seemed knowledgable in some areas. It seemed like he was starting to troll threads but tolerable. I saw at least one of the two final posts, and he just didn't leave you any room. He had to know he would get the boot for what he said. Strange Edited by Batman
  • Like 1

I think his problem was the he also wanted US to find what HE was looking for a little too much. But yeah I thought he seemed like a knowledgeable guy.

He pushed it so hard, I thought maybe he was trying to sell a book or something on minimalistic living. I checked out a couple of his links briefly just to see if that was the case. Turns out, there wasn't enough info, and I put forth a minimum amount of effort so didn't find anything ;)
  • Like 1

Ab28 got his wish - TGO went "Minimalist" and got rid of a surplus member....FWIW, the guy came across to me as a bit of a narcissist- he always thought his way was the ONLY way - some of his meters were off for sure....

Agreed. His comments towards my opinions of a particular trigger were peculiar to say the least. That was my only brush with him.

I didn't really pay much attention to his posts and didn't see the last couple that got him sent to never never land but The few  did read seemed a bit off the wall kinda sorta. I have got to were I don't want to ever get booted from here and if I am getting ready to post something I have doubts about I will send on of the moderators a Pm and ask them about it and get their views on it before I go with it. I would never say anything racist because I am not a racist person. I love everyone equally, well almost that is. I do have an issue with some Muslims but not all. Just the ones that want to kill me and all other Americans. Those I have issues with that, but not racial ones, Terrorist ones.............. :shrug: :shrug:

Oh he probably will. When get gets out of school, gets a job, and has some disposable income he’ll find out that minimalist stuff sucks and he’s as materialistic as the rest of us.... And it’s more fun. biggrin.gif
  • Like 3

Remove previous post.  

Edited by Trekbike
The older I get, the more I realize time is precious.

The body breaks down from the abuse heaped on it over the years and adjustments have to be made psychologically. It was quite rough to make the decisions I made as a result of injuries I went through over the years.

While I agree with some of his minimalistic concepts, the role I play in society has demands. I worked hard to get there, sacrificed a lot. It is challenging and can be fun at times. That is what I hang on to. Living life as Jack Reacher in a Lee Child novel is not realistic.

While the engineering curriculum was the hardest and most challenging choice I ever made, it was the most rewarding decision. I was a B student and busted my butt to get those grades. Working with people that value those contributions confirms I made the right choice.

He's got some hard decisions to make and no one will make them for him. Encouraging hate and anger in one's life is symptomatic to some serious denial issues. Been there, done that ... taking ownership of what and who I am; good and bad led to my inner peace.

It's not what's out there, it's what's inside that matters.

Wish him the best.
[quote name="Lumber_Jack" post="1178598" timestamp="1407808733"]Yep, minimalism isn't worth much if you starve to death.[/quote] Most males are minimalists until they meet a woman. I suppose I'd be living in a tiny cockroach apartment if I was single. Hell, I did when I was single. Upgrading to a home and nice things isn't selling out. Every person had to change a little for the person we love. Otherwise I'd have crappy furniture and eating chili dogs and ramen noodles nonstop with a chaser of PBR. I changed some of my ways not because I sold out. I just value the wants and desires of my wife more than my own. Thinking that your needs are more important than having a meaningful relationship is a technique, but you'll miss out on a lot.
  • Like 2