Tell me your favorite .44 mag loads.

I am gonna work up some loads for a buddy's Ruger 96/44 that I'm gonna do some short range pig and possibly bear hunting with this fall. Do any of you guys have any pet loads for such a critter? I'm thinking probably 275-300 grain bullets, not sure on brand. He also wants me to load some rounds for his super blackhawk as well. I'm sure it will need a different load out. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny how nobody wants to develop their own loads anymore. When I was learning to reload, it was fun to experiment with different loads till I found the one my gun liked. Now I see this on all kinds of gun boards. People asking for the best load for their gun.

My opinion. Start with the suggested starting load and work up till you find one that you like.

• Like 3
For heavy bullets and/or long barrels, I like H110/W296 (same difference). Look up some loads at the Hodgdon website. Max or near-max loads and a good crimp like leroy said. Work it up properly, of course.

I think H110 tends to be a bit forgiving at max charges, but don't try to go too light with it.
  • Like 1

+2  H110  for hot magnum loads.  Accurate No9 for playing.  if anyone knows where i can find H110 please pm me i am about out :-(

Try Nosler jacketed hollow point to help with feeding since they more of a rounded point.  i shot 240gn FTX in 20" marlin, but didn't have feeding issues with FN bullets.  if you are near gallatin i would offer ten 240 FTX Leveroution(sp?) and ten 200gn Nosler if you want to try cycling before you try spending; pm me.

I won't offer my loading info on mag rounds,  but the old out of print midway data i have posted on here before is a nice reference.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/rz2g5raah15ccc7/MidwayUsa_LoadMap_44RemingtonMagnum.pdf

Edited by ohell

+2  H110  for hot magnum loads.  Accurate No9 for playing.  if anyone knows where i can find H110 please pm me i am about out :-(

Try Nosler jacketed hollow point to help with feeding since they more of a rounded point.  i shot 240gn FTX in 20" marlin, but didn't have feeding issues with FN bullets.  if you are near gallatin i would offer ten 240 FTX Leveroution(sp?) and ten 200gn Nosler if you want to try cycling before you try spending; pm me.

I won't offer my loading info on mag rounds,  but the old out of print midway data i have posted on here before is a nice reference.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/rz2g5raah15ccc7/MidwayUsa_LoadMap_44RemingtonMagnum.pdf

I think I saw some H110 at David's tables at the gun show this past weekend.  Maybe he'll have some wherever he sets up next.  

HEY!  There he is ^

Edited by Clod Stomper