Why should I buy a more expensive AR-15?

Old Man

I am very new into AR-15s.  I have a S&W M&P15 Sport.  What would I get from spending more on another AR?  The one I have has not had any troubles and seems to be accurate enough for what I want it for - shooting for fun and for home defense.  I do not plan to compete nor will I fire 10,000 rounds through it.  Any thoughts?

I am very new into AR-15s.  I have a S&W M&P15 Sport.  What would I get from spending more on another AR?  The one I have has not had any troubles and seems to be accurate enough for what I want it for - shooting for fun and for home defense.  I do not plan to compete nor will I fire 10,000 rounds through it.  Any thoughts?

I'd say keep shooting your S&W until you feel that it isn't a thrill anymore and you want something a bit higher end.  If you are using it for home defense, your training and maintenance of the weapon will matter more than the brand it was sold under should worst case come to pass.  It's on you to make sure that gun can be put on target properly, go bang when required and not put anybody else in danger except the bad guy while doing so.

The day may well come where you feel you have outgrown your first AR.  You'll know when that time comes.  I wouldn't recommend an impulse purchase that could set you back like a high name brand AR can unless you have that much disposable income.  There is nothing wrong with buying a Colt, Daniel Defense or BCM to just go with three off the top of my head, but if you are comfortable shooting your S&W, have at it until you are ready to change brands.

• Like 1
[quote name="Lowpower" post="1178659" timestamp="1407817546"]You'd be spending more money for the same thing only in .223? [/quote] I think you're getting confused on the models. The M&P15 is the .223, the M&P22 is the 22LR. To the OP, it sounds like your Sport is doing everything you're asking it to right now so I'd wait until it no longer does that before looking to upgrade. Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 1
Look for the things that please in any gun purchase- fit, finish, aestetics, trigger pull, accuracy, weight, ergonomics, balance and handling, recoil & recovery, the ability to accesorize, and the integrated accessories themselves

Why dont you build one to and add experience, knowledge, satisfaction and ownership?

My PSA shoots as good as my spikes and as good as my BCM and as good as my del ton. Or at least I shoot equally poor with all of them... Honestly function and accuracy wise I can't tell a difference.

Everything I've gotten from PSA has been excellent. I'd say every one I have will out shoot me too. :up:

I'm building an AR now, but very slowly. The problem I'm having is figuring out what I want it to do that my M&P Sport can't do in MY hands.

A better handguard design (thinner and lighter), a better stock (I prefer fixed over carbine), or a better trigger (something like a Geissele would be cool) would make it more fun to shoot. I can upgrade my existing gun with these features and still be under $1000.

Owning a $4000 LWRC or even a $2000 Colt just doesn't do anything for me. It won't transform me into 2X or 4X as good of a shooter or be 2X or 4X as fun to shoot.

• Like 2

First of all, an AR-15 is completely modular. Other than the slick side upper receiver, the sport will take any of the parts you wanna put on it. I doubt seriously that Smith and Wesson made any of the parts to begin with.

So... if you want a nicer handguard, just change it out. Until you want something with lots more accuracy, there's no need to upgrade to another gun. All you "may" gain is better reliability in battlefield conditions. For no frills, home defense reliability and accuracy, you would have a tough time fulfilling your needs any better with ANY other rifle.

• Like 2
I have 3 ARs and have owned 6 over the last 2 years. Each one was either an attempt to achieve a purpose or served a purpose. My ARs are a 10.5" pistol that I use for fun and home defense; A 16" sig with magpul as my go to rifle for fun and small game hunting; and a 16" colt comp for competition shooting and shooting small groups. I shoot the sig most, the pistol second most and the colt least. Each had a different cost and serves a different purpose. That said, my sig is my favorite and is my SHTF go to gun. All are solid and reliable. My other three were attempts to achieve what the colt achieved. Small groups. I miss each of them but sacrifices had to be made. I have built all but two of my rifles. So, decide for yourself what you are trying to accomplish and built/buy for that end. If you feel you have already accomplished it, there are a ton more guns out there to spend your cash on. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So... if you want a nicer handguard, just change it out. Until you want something with lots more accuracy, there's no need to upgrade to another gun. ...

If that Sport is the first iteration with the 5R 1:8 barrel, it's already a cut above the average 16", so you'd have to bump up a good bit with config to significantly improve things in that regard.

- OS

If that Sport is the first iteration with the 5R 1:8 barrel, it's already a cut above the average 16", so you'd have to bump up a good bit with config to significantly improve things in that regard.

- OS

I'm talking match grade barrels and stuff. Of course, a free float handguard will improve the accuracy on most guns with a standard handguard.

You will get MUCH more entertaining answers by posting this question on some of the Arfcom boards ...

• Like 1

You will get MUCH more entertaining answers by posting this question on some of the Arfcom boards ...

Ain't that the truth...the first 10 replies would be 'you're an idiot if you buy an AR that costs under $3K'

• Like 1
One more for the OP. The rifle you have is really great for the price. In fact, if I was forced to only own one AR15, that would be in the top few I'd be choosing from. Getting a super whizzbang AR15 is really just for show, kinda folks who have a classic car they keep looking nice, or the dude who spends his weekend getting his lawn and flower bed looking absolutely perfect. With the exception of people who are involved in shooting sports, you don't need much gun. Most of us here can't afford the amount of ammo it takes to shoot out a barrel, and if we did we could just buy a new barrel for a couple hundred bucks. So there is no logical reason why you need a more expensive AR. The one you have is not only nice, it will do everything you'll ever need it to do, except for look as cool as some of the douchebags on arfcom. Nothing wrong with having an expensive, cool looking AR. Many of us here do. But none of us will say that there is a logical purpose other than it being a friggin awesome dispenser of freedom sounds which make chicks hot and liberals wet their pants.
  • Like 5

After I was a member here for a while, I kept hearing how Arfcom was so I went over to check it out........

Like leaving a meat and 3 (TGO) here in middle TN then going to a New York City bar (Arfcom)

Yep, it's that different. They do have a lot of info and pictures/videos, so I do occasionally use it but I'm quiet because it's illegal to drive somewhere and throat punch them for saying you're a <insert your choice of what they call everyone>.