New rifle caliber???

SALK

Leopold Vx-3 on the 06 and a vx-1 on the 30-30. Optics do make a big difference.

I always hear this, but I haven't broke $200 on a scope.  I just can't bring myself to put a $800 optic an a $600 rifle.  Though I have graduated from the $40 scopes, I still use mid grade scopes, I just need decent non-fog glass and one that stays on zero.  Nikon, Leapers UTG, Bushnell, and Redfield round out the brands currently being used on my rifles.  I have seen and used some of the higher end scopes, but just could not justify getting one.

Elk at 600yds?
.300winmag or .338winmag only
Im not a fan of the WSM calibers, too uncommon.

I agree on all.

I shoot a hand loaded Nosler Accubond out of my '06. Nosler recommends a min velocity of 1800fps to achieve reliable expansion. With my chronographed loads calculated at 9000' elevation and temp of 40* (typical for where I'll be hunting elk), the velocity should drop to 1805fps @ 525yds. I've only practiced to 400yds, so that's my limit. I think pushing a faster bullet combined with the practice at distance would be required for reliable 600yd elk. An '06 could certainly do it, but it's running out of steam for bullet expansion at that distance. Edited by Batman

I always hear this, but I haven't broke $200 on a scope.  I just can't bring myself to put a $800 optic an a $600 rifle.  Though I have graduated from the $40 scopes, I still use mid grade scopes, I just need decent non-fog glass and one that stays on zero.  Nikon, Leapers UTG, Bushnell, and Redfield round out the brands currently being used on my rifles.  I have seen and used some of the higher end scopes, but just could not justify getting one.

I went to practice with some folks that shoot "sniper matches" a few years ago... these guys were scary... shooter/spotter teams hitting man-sized targets at 1000-1200 yards with shocking speed and regularity.

I saw quite a few $1500 scopes mounted on $500 rifles.... it was pretty eye-opening. 

I went to practice with some folks that shoot "sniper matches" a few years ago... these guys were scary... shooter/spotter teams hitting man-sized targets at 1000-1200 yards with shocking speed and regularity.

I saw quite a few $1500 scopes mounted on $500 rifles.... it was pretty eye-opening. 

Oh, I seen this too.  And if I am competing, making money off of, or get sponsored (even by the army) then heck yea send me that TrackingPoint system.  But when I can keep most rounds in the 10 ring with my cheaper scopes I can't see spending more.  For hunting, all I need to see is the vitals, even a $40 scope did that.  I don't begrudge anyone for using better scopes, and never claim to be the best shot or anything but my needs are met with what I have.

I have the 300 WSM and love it. I have a Browning A bolt stalker stainless with a BOSS. Same ballistics as the 300 Win mag but less powder and a short action. Never had trouble finding ammo either.

I recently debated the caliber change myself with my 308. I had a Remington 700 SPS and it didn't shoot worth a crap. No matter what ammo or conditions. I decided the 30 cal bullets weren't ideal at longer ranges and started looking at 7mm  and 6.5mm ballistics. I went with a 260 Remington for me. The 7mm-08 was another great choice. Don't limit yourself in your options. I wouldn't use the 260 on elk or anything like that, but for deer it'll take them easy. Plus with superior ballistics to the 308, it will take them at farther distances.

I will take a 300wm over the 300wsm due to ammo availability & being able to shoot over a 180g bullet without any mods,from what I have read the mags wont handle the longer higher weights without some type of modification & maybe chamber work? .100fs isn't enuf to make me change my mind.the xtra hp of a wm cant be overcome by a 3006 no matter the ammo imo

Ignoring the "sniper" hoopla in the video, this guy has a fairly straightforward and logical selection procedure to choose a long-range cartridge based on YOUR criteria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7bOIB2Zk-E

Skip to about 4:30 for the useful info:

He uses the procedure here to select a few cartridges based on different criteria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlwoNCNnFA

Personally, if I were looking for a magnum-level long-range rifle, I'd go with the tried-and-true 7mm Rem Mag for anything on this continent (maybe go larger diameter for grizzly).

• 3 weeks later...

if you load your own, get the biggest thing you might want -- the 300 or whatever.   You can almost always find a decent light load that will cover the weaker choices you passed over; pretty sure for example that you could make a 300 load that mimics 06 or 308 but you can't make an 06 match a full bore 300. 

If you don't load your own, get the round that does the job at the lowest cost; 308 looks mighty good when talking economics. 

or if you don't care about economics, get the coolest thing that appeals to your fun factor. 

Edited by Jonnin