Joy Church in Mt Juliet

none

Anyone attend there? Being new here we have already tried a church and found they were not a good fit based on several factors. I have been in touch with the executive pastor there and they seem to be consistent with our beliefs and they appear to be con cerned about the safety of those attending services.

So I was just wondering if any one attended there and if they were willing to share any information.

Thank you

In TN, churches are like any other address. Unless posted, carry on.

Thanks carrying for me never really an issue. Although I did ask their firearms policy to which they have no prohibition. One of the churches we attended was very clicky and it seemed that new people were almost discouraged from attending. So I guess we will keep looking.
Wife and I have been looking for a new church in Hermitage/MJ area as well. Tried a few in Herm and were in-impressed. Tried one other in MJ and it was too "old-school." We've been to Joy the last 4 weeks and have really enjoyed. Everyone seems really friendly, but we haven't tried anything else to connect with other people just besides going to the service. They have several groups we plan to attend at some point when our schedule allows. Music: pretty "modern" ... no piano, organ, and choir here; praise team band with several singers Service length: 1.0 - 1.5 hours; kind of a "typical" planned service ... singing, stand and welcome, announcements, tithe, sermon, invocation Preaching: the guy is a good speaker and can hold your attention, sometimes gets a little off point telling stories; doesn't hold back and will tell you things straight, but one gripe I have is often when he tells you something that might make people uncomfortable, he'll quickly cover it with something more light-hearted (a joke or something) ... which to me sometimes draws attention away from the point he just made. As someone who knows a thing or two about presenting to groups, he follows a good "prescription" to his sermons ... 6-10 minutes of talking, then a distraction (video, demonstration, etc.), then more talking ... this helps hold attention over a long period Topics/Beliefs: right now doing a series on parenting, which is good for is as were new parents ... doesn't just tell you "what" you need to do, but practical ways to accomplish those things ... General feelings: congregation can sometimes be a bit charismatic ("amen-ing" things or clapping for things that I don't know why there doing such); but as a whole it's a really nice place, friendly people Service times: Sat night and Sunday morning. We've only been Sunday morning. They also have a Wednesday night offering of some sorts. Outreach: they have a lot going on from a mobile food truck they feed people with a few times a season to a very in depth and involved ministry to local police forces. I know they seem to do a lot with MJPD and MJ Swat (may have something to do with selling their old building to MJPD), but also some Metro stuff also. Financial: they preach to be debt free and also are debt free, paid for current building cash outright (may not be a big deal to everyone, but I appreciate this aspect) Kids: new children's minister hired (their first to serve on a full-time basis), fairly well developed children's ministry on-going I'd say give it a go. We've enJOYed (see what I did there?) the times we've gone and plan to go back. Also, as a first time guest you get special parking (they'll put a candy bar on your window during service) and a coupon for free coffee at their coffee shop. Our family really likes Brentwood Baptist and their Tuesday night Kairos offering. For us, this is closer and Dailey equivalent so this is where we will probably land long-term. Oh with regards to carrying ... it's not posted. I've always carried and never had an issue (although I conceal). You're likely to run into several uniformed and un-uniformed officers at the church, they have all been very friendly to me. Sorry to be long-winded. It's probably the whiskey starting to talk.
  • Like 2

Wife and I have been looking for a new church in Hermitage/MJ area as well. Tried a few in Herm and were in-impressed. Tried one other in MJ and it was too "old-school." We've been to Joy the last 4 weeks and have really enjoyed. Everyone seems really friendly, but we haven't tried anything else to connect with other people just besides going to the service. They have several groups we plan to attend at some point when our schedule allows.

Music: pretty "modern" ... no piano, organ, and choir here; praise team band with several singers

Service length: 1.0 - 1.5 hours; kind of a "typical" planned service ... singing, stand and welcome, announcements, tithe, sermon, invocation

Preaching: the guy is a good speaker and can hold your attention, sometimes gets a little off point telling stories; doesn't hold back and will tell you things straight, but one gripe I have is often when he tells you something that might make people uncomfortable, he'll quickly cover it with something more light-hearted (a joke or something) ... which to me sometimes draws attention away from the point he just made. As someone who knows a thing or two about presenting to groups, he follows a good "prescription" to his sermons ... 6-10 minutes of talking, then a distraction (video, demonstration, etc.), then more talking ... this helps hold attention over a long period

Topics/Beliefs: right now doing a series on parenting, which is good for is as were new parents ... doesn't just tell you "what" you need to do, but practical ways to accomplish those things ...

General feelings: congregation can sometimes be a bit charismatic ("amen-ing" things or clapping for things that I don't know why there doing such); but as a whole it's a really nice place, friendly people
Service times: Sat night and Sunday morning. We've only been Sunday morning. They also have a Wednesday night offering of some sorts.

Outreach: they have a lot going on from a mobile food truck they feed people with a few times a season to a very in depth and involved ministry to local police forces. I know they seem to do a lot with MJPD and MJ Swat (may have something to do with selling their old building to MJPD), but also some Metro stuff also.

Financial: they preach to be debt free and also are debt free, paid for current building cash outright (may not be a big deal to everyone, but I appreciate this aspect)

Kids: new children's minister hired (their first to serve on a full-time basis), fairly well developed children's ministry on-going

I'd say give it a go. We've enJOYed (see what I did there?) the times we've gone and plan to go back. Also, as a first time guest you get special parking (they'll put a candy bar on your window during service) and a coupon for free coffee at their coffee shop.

Our family really likes Brentwood Baptist and their Tuesday night Kairos offering. For us, this is closer and Dailey equivalent so this is where we will probably land long-term.

Oh with regards to carrying ... it's not posted. I've always carried and never had an issue (although I conceal). You're likely to run into several uniformed and un-uniformed officers at the church, they have all been very friendly to me.

Sorry to be long-winded. It's probably the whiskey starting to talk.

Thank you very much. I exchanged a few emails with the pastor there. He was very helpful and did not shy away from direct and to the point questions. I had inquirered about their firearm policy and he advised that there were fellow leos that attended on a regular basis as well as members that carried as well. Understanding that church should be a safe place where one should beable to trust that nothing would happen however history has shown that not to always be the case. As one of the pastors I knew would say "trust in God but row to shore in a storm"

Thanks again your response was very helpful and thoughtful. Edited by wcd