Hornet Nest

imagejpg1_zps4f33421d.jpg

This hornet nest is at my son's house about 30 feet from his front door and only about 8 feet above his driveway. It seemed to appear in only about 3 days. It is much bigger than a basketball. What is the best way to get rid of it besides swinging a big stick and running like Hell ? :) Edited by Fourtyfive
Semi auto 12 ga, a beekeeper hat and a few cans of bug spray!

Another option is to put an add out, I had a guy knock on my door one day and ask if he could grab one of these off my tree. It was about 30' up and I never even noticed it. I let him have it so I'm sure there are folks out there that make money off of em. It's just a matter of finding them. Good luck

Too bad it is so close to the house or I would say Tannerite. 

In seriousness, there are some good tips just by googling how to remove a hornets nest.  Basically, get the most potent hornet spray you can.  At night, use a red filter over a flashlight and quietly find the opening in the nest.  Spray as much as you can into the hole.  Get the extended reach spray.  Basically spray into the hole for as long as you can, at least 10 seconds, and then get the heck out of there.  Stay away for a day and then go back and do the same thing.  That should kill most of them.

Dang! It be cool it you could get rid of them and keep the nest intact. Try a fogger. Homedepot and Lowes sells a propane black flag insect fogger. I chased away some bees like that once. Never got stung but a hornet sting is much worse.
Wait till its cool out, cover with a black plastic bag, seal (very important), cut tree branch, set aside until they settle back down. Then open bag, drop bug bomb, seal bag. Wait 1 week, open bag take nest out, put in clean bag and stuff in freezer, leave 60 days. Viola, you have a nest with no hornets.
  • Like 1

The ones I had succumbed to a can of lineman's wasp spray. If there were any survivors, they were torched the next evening, using Kerosene in a bug sprayer (and above mentioned Bic Butane). 

If you really want to have fun, hit it with a bush-hog or weed-eater.

I just encountered the same problem last month, my nest was about the size of a volleyball.
follow these steps and you'll survive.
step 1. drink 1 beer, maybe 2
2. wait for dusk, I wanted to see them..
3. tools needed: fresh can of Hornet spray and a pool skimmer net.
4. don't pussy foot around, raise net to nest and pull it straight to the ground with the nest still in net, (beware my nest was soft).
5. run like hell to a safe distance.
6. when you think it's safe, start using your can of VX and spray through the net, run and return as needed.
HTH.
  • Like 1
If they were within reach, I use a shop vac. Start vacuum and place the end of the wand an inch or two from the entrance and tie it down. Grab a chair to watch the festivities.

You know you're winning when they are carrying their grubs out of the nest.

When done ... couple hours later, spray a couple shots of wasp killer in the hose.

This is also a great way to get them out of vinyl siding.

Move very slowly when near the nest and they ignore you. Edited by Currently

If they were within reach, I use a shop vac. Start vacuum and place the end of the wand an inch or two from the entrance and tie it down. Grab a chair to watch the festivities.

You know you're winning when they are carrying their grubs out of the nest.

When done ... couple hours later, spray a couple shots of wasp killer in the hose.

This is also a great way to get them out of vinyl siding.

Move very slowly when near the nest and they ignore you.

I did this with a yellow-jacket nest a time or so.  Remember....Easy on  the wasp spray into the shop vac. The base solution is kerosene.

Just move, abandon the house, RUN!!!

That's what I was thinking. Time to find a new home.

A guy I work with kills several rattlesnakes in his yard each year. I told him there was something he could plant int he yard to help the situation......A For Sale sign! :panic:

• Like 7