My AK-47 stock is too short. Advice welcome.

Guest CJRogue

Guest CJRogue

So, my AK is a fairly standard Yugo version. Fun little plinker, but the dang stock is built for a little bitty feller. Has me bending my head/neck over in a really awkward way to look through the sights. I'm thinking a stock about a foot longer would do the trick.

Anyone else have this experience with these guns? Are they made for little people or something?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you said a foot I was going to suggest that you unfold it. :P

Seriously, my advice is to leave it the way it is for a while. I think about everyone initially thinks AK stocks are too short. I know I did. But after I got used to it I actually came to prefer it.

Guest Todd@CIS

I suspect that you shoot from some sort of bladed stance.

Try squaring your knees, hips, and shoulders more to the target. This usually makes the AK's shorter LOP about perfect.

Guest bkelm18

From what I understand, many AK stocks were designed to be fired with thick winter coats on and having your body squared off to the target. The stock on mine is a Warsaw length stock. It's fairly short for my size. I might end up changing it out for a NATO length stock which is about 2 inches longer I believe.

Guest Wilson1

I changed out the stock on my SAR-1 with a black polymer NATO length stock purchased from K-Var. I'm 6' tall and it fit me very well. I have since purchased a Saiga-12, converted it, and robbed the K-Var stock from the SAR-1, put it on the S-12 and it fits me very well in this application as well. I think I'm going to a triangle side folder from K-Var for the SAR-1 next.

Mike

Guest TN.Frank
From what I understand, many AK stocks were designed to be fired with thick winter coats on and having your body squared off to the target.

Bingo, we have a winner. If it were proper length to fire in a t-shirt then when you put on your winter gear it'd be way too long. Since there's very little recoil a short stock isn't really much of a problem with an AK. Now if it were a 300wsm you'd have to worry,LOL. You'll get use to it after a bit then you'll love how compact that shorter stock makes the rifle.

Capitalist pigs! The Motherland equips her army with only the best equipment suitable for the world's premier fighting force! It is not the stock which is too short, it is your arms which are too long! Now, stop complaining and go charge that machine-gun nest...

:P

Seriously though, try squaring off your stance.

First. you actually aim those things?:up:

Capitalist pigs! The Motherland equips her army with only the best equipment suitable for the world's premier fighting force! It is not the stock which is too short, it is your arms which are too long! Now, stop complaining and go charge that machine-gun nest...

:devil:

Seriously though, try squaring off your stance.

Secondly, They should fit me perfect, all my dress shirts and long sleeve button downs are too long for my arms...or are my arms to short for my sleeves...:D

Guest Todd@CIS

They should fit me perfect, all my dress shirts and long sleeve button downs are too long for my arms...or are my arms to short for my sleeves...:devil:

So your "GunShow" has a couple of snub-noses? :up:

Guest earthworm

Todd@CIS is correct:squaring up to the target (think of it as an Isoceles pistol stance) should solve the problem.It feels awkward as hell & I find myself fighting stance & rifle when I should be concentrating on shooting but it DOES work.

Todd was nice enough to give me a 4-position collapsible (looks like the CAR) stock he wasn't using which allows me to adjust the LOP so I can use the traditional bladed-marksman stance:call me an old fogey but 40 years of habit are hard to break.Muchas Gracias el Todd-O!

www.centerfiresystems.com has a nice 3-mag chest rig for $9.99+s&h.Quality seems good & it beats the hell out of an over-the-shoulder-hanging-off-the-hip pouch or a shotgunner's vest (Todd,Dustin the attendees ta the last CIS Carbine class will know what I mean!).