Home made tannerite

The problem is additional cost of buying commercially available targets.

Commercially sold "tannerite" is ~$5 a pound while the components to make your own is well under $1 per pound.  Last time I bought some AN, which was about 4 years ago, it cost me $17 for 50 pounds. The aluminum powder is $5 per pound. So for $12 you can make 20 pounds of exploding targets. That same 20 pounds is $170 through a popular retailer.

Another HUGE problem I have is the unnecessary regulation of things that should not be regulated at all.

If I can legally own the firearm to shoot the exploding target then the target itself should not be a problem. No matter how heavily they regulate it, or how illegal they make it, as long as it is used as fertilizer it can get into the hands of those who are going to do harm using it. It is perfectly legal to make your own explosives, regardless of what the ingredients are, so until it is proven that I should not be allowed to buy it then I should be allowed to buy what I want and in whatever amount I can afford. 

I am tired of legislators, and lawmakers, deciding the best way to protect myself from myself. These are the same people who tell me what I can't have yet demand that they are allowed to have the same items I can't. There are all kinds of things that are regulated that should not be in any way shape or form. I should be allowed to ingest anything I want in my own home yet those who control us only allow us to have the freedoms they give us permission to have. Our freedoms are being taken away daily in the name of protecting people from themselves and this is just another instance of taking yet another freedom from a law abiding citizen. BTW, if they made the sale of AN illegal to the general public the criminals intent on using it will still be able to steal it or obtain it legally with a few, easy to obtain, licenses.

I would like to hear about the last time "Tannerite" type of explosives were used in the commission of a crime. I am not talking about those who were arrested for exploding a target deemed "too large" by LE either.

Don't misunderstand my comments above. I'm in full agreement with your sentiment. If you knew me you would agree. I'm just pointing out the world we live in now. You buy enough of something or ask about certain things, tabs are being kept, I can assure you.

I need to ask my friend how and why he got charged by the ATF for "Illegal manufacture of explosives" when he got caught making and using homemade M-80 fire crackers. Just real curious now, that y'all are saying it's legal to make your own explosives. Inquiring minds just have to know!

Dave

I need to ask my friend how and why he got charged by the ATF for "Illegal manufacture of explosives" when he got caught making and using homemade M-80 fire crackers. Just real curious now, that y'all are saying it's legal to make your own explosives. Inquiring minds just have to know!

Dave

Maybe his "home made M-80's" had steel casings. Or maybe he was making them for sale because it is illegal to use explosives to make money without a manufacturing license. Also, if a person is in possession of a certain amount of black powder it must be stored IAW ATF regulations.

As long as any explosive is not designed or used in an offensive manner it is legal.

Where on earth can you find a 50 lb bag of AL powder?
I don't need to make any tannerite, but I'd like to make a little thermite on occasion.

I bought 50 1# bags

Picked up some AN today at coop but it's 33-0-0 not the 34-0-0 not sure if it'll work or not maybe someone with experience can chime in if not I'll just put it on the yard and find some 34-0-0 Edited by jphillips63

I bought 10 1# bags

Picked up some AN today at coop but it's 33-0-0 not the 34-0-0 not sure if it'll work or not maybe someone with experience can chime in if not I'll just put it on the yard and find some 34-0-0

You know, I just had a thought. Be careful on the containers you use to mix the AN and AL. They should be the kind of plastic that won't create static. I'm pretty sure the containers that tannerite comes in is coated with something to prevent static discharge. Once you add that aluminum powder that stuff is sensitized and a static discharge could set it off. Mixing those compounds together, just like mixing anything else, could create static electricity. Just remembering back to my days learning about explosives and remembered something like this when I was sitting through an anfo class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

From the ATF....

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/how-to/fireworks-safety-and-security.html

Federal explosives regulations promulgated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) define two general categories of fireworks sold in the United States: “display fireworks” and “consumer fireworks.”

Display fireworks are the large fireworks used in shows, generally under the supervision of a trained pyrotechnician. The regulations at 27 CFR, Part 555, require that any person engaging in the business of importing, manufacturing, dealing in, or otherwise receiving display fireworks must first obtain a Federal explosives license or permit from ATF for the specific activity.

Consumer fireworks are the small fireworks usually sold at stands around the Fourth of July holiday. ATF does not regulate the importation, distribution, or storage of completed consumer fireworks, but other Federal, State, and local agencies do regulate these items to a varying degree. Because consumer fireworks contain pyrotechnic compositions classified by ATF as explosive materials, the manufacturing of consumer fireworks requires a Federal explosives license from ATF.

• Like 1

From the ATF....

Thanks Dave. Good info. I found out last night that what he was doing was making these so called M-80's in plastic bottles and small diameter PVC pipe. He was setting this stuff off in his back yard and was reported by a neighbor. Deputies found alot of stuff in his basement, contacted the ATF, and they carried several boxes full of stuff out of his basement. He wasn't using Black Powder in his recipes. He got his recipes for explosives from a book called "The Anarchists Handbook". Some he had made I would assume would be similar to Tannerite, as it would detonate when shot.

After my reloading accident, there isn't enough money in the world that would coax me into picking up and mixing Tannerite bought in the store. Good luck to all you Chemists out there!

Dave

Both the AN and the AP are available from Amazon in bulk.  I don't know what list that may put you on. 

It's all automated now by the NSA. In fact, we're all on a list for viewing this thread. 

"The NSA: Finally a government agency that listens." 

• Like 3

you can't regulate chemistry.  They try, but it is way, way too easy to make horrid things with simple ingredients and a bit of know-how.  

think about our pioneers who made their own black powder.

or if you want to lose sleep for a week, consider this gem:

Phosgene was synthesized by the British chemist John Davy (1790–1868) in 1812 by exposing a mixture of carbon monoxide and chlorine to sunlight.  Of course, anyone fool enough to make it is likely to die in the process, but its not complicated... Much more scary than a few hundred pounds of ANFO.