New to Middle TN - I have some Q's

Hello,

My wife and I recently moved to Middle Tennessee from Massachusetts a couple of months ago.  She is glad to be living closer to her family and so far I'm enjoying the area and am glad we made the move.  I switched over to a TN Handgun Carry Permit and have some questions I was hoping to get some advice on.

What are the best gun stores in the Smyrna/Murfreesboro area, or give or take a  30 minutes drive?

Where should I have my transfers completed in the same area as above?  I used to pay $25 per transfer back home and was wondering what the going rate is.

I could also use some advice about ranges.  From what I've read online most charge by the hour which is an awesome system, but some recommendations from members would be great.  I'd rather check out recommended ranges than pick some at random and try my luck.  I don't mind driving 40-60 minutes if the range is worth it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jonathan

Guest Cogent Design

For a gun shop, I'd go to Outpost Armory near the 'boro. I've never had a bad experience there.

As for a range, I used to frequent Owl Hollow Gun Range in Spring Hill. It's not too far off 840. I think they only have targets out to 100 yards though.

Welcome to Tennessee & TGO.

I live in the Murfreesboro area. As far as selection goes, for stand-alone gun shops Outpost Armory is a gunner's wet dream. However, If you shop around you'll probably find better prices on a lot of things-- that's not a poke at them-- they've never claimed to be the cheapest. Even so, the selection is pretty hard to beat, and most of the staff is quite knowledgeable, so it all depends on what you want to spend. In most cases, if they don't have it in stock, they can get it.

There are plenty of other shops in the area with varying selection, each serving its own little niche in the market... On-Target Arms in Murfreesboro, Specialty Arms in LaVergne,Mid-Tenn Pawn in Murfreesboro, and a few others. Obviously, as far as big box stores go, the Academy Sports in Smyrna is a good bet and stays well-stocked in the firearms/ammo dept.

If you're willing to drive a bit, there are many others in the Nashville area who can fill just about any firearms need you might have.

As far as transfers go, I haven't found anyone in Rutherford County who is cheaper than Mid-Tenn Pawn in Murfreesboro. $25 bucks.

As far as ranges go, my favorite is still OK Corral in Woodbury-- about 15-20 miles east of Murfreesboro. It's an all-outdoor range with several separate pistol ranges, a 10-bay covered 200-yd rifle range, two trap ranges, a hi-power/shotgun berm, and they're still expanding... You can bring your own targets (recommended), shoot your own loads, and no membership is required.

The price? How about $5.00 for all ranges-- all day long? (The trap range has a separate charge for clays).

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 2

Welcome to Tennessee. My wife is a refugee from Massachusetts and I feel like I'm gasping for air every time I'm up that way.

Hope you are enjoying free America... what's left of it. This is one of the best forums on the planet.

What area of MA are you from?

Edited by Glock30

Welcome to TGO, My favorite gunshop is in Lebanon, The Armory, great folks great prices and have always treated me right. Just drive straight up 231. after you cross over I-40, it's on the left just past white castle. I live between the Boro and Lebanon, just off of 231.

Wow, thanks for all of the replies.  There is some great information above and pretty much all of my questions were answered.

I'll have to check out Outpost Armory the next time in that part of town.  I'll check out the other options as well and shop around.

Welcome to Tennessee. My wife is a refugee from Massachusetts and I feel like I'm gasping for air every time I'm up that way.

Hope you are enjoying free America... what's left of it. This is one of the best forums on the planet.

What area of MA are you from?

I grew up in the Worcester area (Central MA).  What part is your wife from?

The laws here are great and while it is nice to be able to buy any gun I want (without having to buy from the secondary market), have ammo shipped to my house, and can own standard capacity mags for newer guns the carry laws in MA are better if you live in a town/city that will give you a non-restricted LTC.  You can pretty much carry anyplace you want, and signage is non-binding (which itself is pretty rare) so worst case is the store can ask you to leave, but that is true if you have a gun or not.

the carry laws in MA are better if you live in a town/city that will give you a non-restricted LTC.  You can pretty much carry anyplace you want, and signage is non-binding (which itself is pretty rare) so worst case is the store can ask you to leave, but that is true if you have a gun or not.

Be patient... we're working on that... but Rome wasn't built in a day. We have several folks in the legislature and executive branch that haven't quite "got it" yet, so it's going to take some time and effort to get things changed for the better.

But hey, this year we just got 50+yr. old restrictions on knives removed, so there's always hope for the better.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

There's a new skeet range coming to the Chapel Hill area too. It's between Triune and Henry Horton State Park. Still under construction, but as of 2 weeks ago, it was dang close to being finished. Plus there's a skeet range at Henry Horton State Park.

Is that the one on the left heading south on 41,past the paintball range!??
I've seen it if it is,looks nice but has some scholastic sign out front on the fence.....
Welcome. I'm from TN but lived in MA for 5 years. Met my wife there. Now we are back in tn. I'm glad to be back home but I miss the seafood on the coast and the Italian food from the northend.