Picked up an H&K

Guest Rooster

Guest Rooster

Last Friday I picked up an H&K P2000. Its 9mm with the LE trigger action. Very sweet gun. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet, but im sure its gonna be sweet. The Price tag was a little ugly but im sure its gonna be worth every penny. Anyone else have one? How do you like it?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Voodoo_1

Congratulations! You have purchased a very high quality firearm that will serve you well. I own a USPc in 9mm, the P2000's older brother. :( Welcome to the HK'ers.:D

Guest Rooster
Sweet... Want pictures!!!

I'll answer you last questions by the end of the year, I hope.

I will try and post some Pics this afternoon.

Guest Phantom6

Nice pics. I didn't realize HK was puttin' that Fuzzy fininsh on their P2000's :)

Just kidding. That's a nice pistol. It should bring a lot of shooting enjoyment. :up:

Guest macho999
Nice pics. I didn't realize HK was puttin' that Fuzzy fininsh on their P2000's :)

Just kidding. That's a nice pistol. It should bring a lot of shooting enjoyment. :up:

:D Looks like he got the suede model. Be sure to keep it out of the rain.

Guest Phantom6
OK, now we need a shooting report. :up:

That may be a while in coming.

Originally posted by Rooster >

The Price tag was a little ugly but im sure its gonna be worth every penny.

He spent so much on the pistol that he can't afford to buy the ammunition. :D

Actually, I'd guess its kinda like the old Curtis Mathis Television set ads used to say, "Expensive and darned well worth it".:)

You know, H&Ks are expensive. Then again their construction, and research and development, make them more expensive to produce. Lots of little things that you don't notice until you really start looking carefully at them.

Guest Rooster
That may be a while in coming.

He spent so much on the pistol that he can't afford to buy the ammunition. :)

Actually, I'd guess its kinda like the old Curtis Mathis Television set ads used to say, "Expensive and darned well worth it".:up:

I actually had every intention of testing it out on Saturday. I bought ammo loaded up the car and went to Owl Hollow but they were closed this weekend. I then called a buddy who lives on 20 acres in the middle of nowhere hoping I could shoot there but he was at work. So I tried, I will be shooting this weekend if the weather is nice. If its not nice I will go to On Target, it will be shot this weekend.

Guest Rooster
Can you give a feel for how big the P2000 is compared to say the XD40 Service, or the Glock 26?

I would say roughly the H&K is a half inch shorter in the grip and slide than the XD40 Service and about a half inch longer slide than the G26 and the grip is a little more than half an inch longer than the G26. Im gonna say it will be just fine for a carry gun. Just have to buy a good holster for it now.

Can you give a feel for how big the P2000 is compared to say the XD40 Service, or the Glock 26?

Tungs... err.. Broadside, the regular P2000 is probably comparable in size to your wife's M&P compact, perhaps slightly larger.

There was one in the suppressor case at On-Target last time I was there.

The P2000SK is just a bit smaller than a Sub-Compact XD, definitely narrower though.

I had a break in what I was doing at the VA in Johnson City yesterday, so had time to run down to Jonesborough to see an old friend and hit a couple of gun shops.

Crowder's, as usual, is "getting in a P2000 - tomorrow".... Tim is always getting in what you want - tomorrow.

But Byrd's had a used P2000 I could play with. They have an excellent selection of H&Ks as well as other brands.

Obviously the gun is designed as an updated and safe version of a Glock-like handgun for the LE market. Compared to a Glock, it has a fully supported chamber, much better rail support and construction (much of it hidden by the polymer frame), and gets rid of the weird, in my experience, Austrian ergonomics. (Your mileage may differ :stare: ) It also has a hammer that doesn't scare the peasants by being obviously cocked until it is needed. A big selling point for Gaston's guns. That makes it a gun LE honchos and their PR department's should be able to live with. It does NOT have to be dry-fired to field strip which prevents ND problems. It also has the long-throw initial trigger action that should pretty much eliminate the Glock type AD problem (Glock leg/Glock Butt).

The trigger action was a bit different than I expected. Again, this was an older gun, without a de-cocker, and I suspect the trigger action has been tweaked some in current guns.

The long throw on the trigger's initial pull phase that cocks the trigger felt like more than the 2# in current specifications. Regardless of the force required, the pull cocked the hammer fully and came to an obvious stopping point just before hammer release. I liked that. As usual with H&K, there was no question about when the hammer would release. I had to manually rack the slide, since I wasn't actually firing, but found trigger reset to be short and clearly defined. This is a really nice feature.

Once fired, the DA / re-strike mode was pretty horrible. Felt more like a 50 pound trigger pull than the specified 11.47 lbs. Again, I suspect the current production may feel better. Regardless, it's nice to have double-strike capability. I've used some ammunition that needed that.

Just pulling the trigger in the shop felt odd. I'm used to USP and Beretta SA/DA triggers. I've learned over the years to not judge a gun by dry firing in a shop. The P7M8 feels really odd and clunky when dry-fired. Get it on the range and it is very natural. So, I'll have to reserve my conclusions on the P2000 action until I get a chance to shoot one.

It is different than my USP. Not worse, just different. Certainly a handgun I'll seriously consider if I decide to go to the steroidal 9mm - 357 SIG round for non-field use.

Prices on the P2000 seem to be in the $650 - low $700s range, depending on how much they want to make a sale. As you can figure out, I think H&Ks are well worth the extra cost. After a lot of gun trading, I've ended up keeping the H&Ks.

I've heard that some of the earlier LEM trigger had a stiffer trigger pull than the newer ones... Or perhaps the pull weight is an option. I have seen two different specs, 11.5# to 7.5#... I have felt the lighter trigger, and it felt really good.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rooster

I remembered that I never gave a shooting report for my P2000. Well here it is.............shoots like butter. You point and fire and you hit what your aiming at. Thats pretty much it. I will say that taking it apart for cleaning left a little to be desired. While not complicated to take apart it was rather stubborn to actually come apart. The pin that is part of the slide release was a biatch to get out. That may have been beacuse it was the first time. Other than that I couldn't be happier.

Guest Rooster
Most guns loosen up a bit on the takedown pin after a while.

Glad to hear it's a natural shooter for you. Makes me want to go get a P2000 soon.

Get one you won't be sorry you did. Also I cant say enough about there being a slide release on both sides of the gun. Being a left handed shooter, its great.