Please explain internal locks on revolvers

RAJBCPA

I've been an auto guy mostly but I'm considering a new revolver - S&W or Ruger.  

Apparently, these makers are producing revolvers all with internal locks as a result of contractual obligations entered into during the Clinton gun-grab in the early 90s. 

How do the internal locks work?

I've seen a few complaints that the internal locking systems freeze up during use, apparently as a result of normal recoil.

Do most folks modify their guns to remove the locks;  "How To" videos are on the Web...?   

Depending on caliber, either get a Ruger or a pre-lock or no-lock Smith. The Ruger LCR is the only Ruger model with a locking mechanism and it's quite different than Smith and Wesson's (or Taurus's for that matter). Smith is making no-lock revolvers in high numbers again. However, in my opinion, you get more for your money with a Ruger.   

I've read a lot of rumors about problems with the internal locks but have no first hand experience because I've always refused to own one on principle. I've shot a few but never enough rounds to form an opinion. None of the folks I know who have an internal lock Smith have ever complained about any reliability problems.

Double action revolvers with transfer bars are inherently safe. I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with an internal lock mechanically. On Smith's, they are eye sores. Even Taurus does it better. Owning a Smith with an internal lock is like dating a fine woman with a herpes sore on her mouth.   

My Blackhawk has a lock. I haven't thought about it since I first saw it. It lives under the grips and doesn't bother me at all. I can't see how it could engage itself, but maybe.

I'd just look for a model with no lock if the idea is unsettling. FWIW I've never personally heard a verified story if any of them actually engaging themselves. I believe it's mostly gun store/ internets lore, but if anyone can prove otherwise I'd be interested to see it.

The locks did originally come about as part of the Clinton administrations deal with the gun makers. However, it was proved that any such agreement would not stand up in a court of law. The majority of internal locks on guns today are the direct result of over zealous lawyers and liability laws. 

Go over to the Smith & Wesson Forum and do a search. You'll find a number of recorded incidents where the internal lock enganged itself. Most often this happens in lightweight guns in fairly hard kicking calibers. But there are a few stories of it happening in guns you wouldn't normally expect it to. You will also find tales of the lock malfunctioning and locking up the gun to the point where it had to be disassembled in order to fix it.

In fact, complaining about the Lock as well as a few other changes S&W has made got so bad that the Admins had to make it against the rules to even mention it. 

There is also a guy over there who sells an item called "The Plug". It plugs the hole in the frame once the lock is removed.

Ruger also has a lock. As mentioned, its under the grip and I've never heard of any problems with it.

Taurus has a lock built into the hammer. A small key is inserted just below the hammer spur and lets a spring loaded spur pop up that prevents the hammer from moving. I have heard of one or two problems with this lock. However, it seems to be very rare and there's no real proof of it happening.

As much as I love my Springfield 1911s, they too have a lock. In their case its built into the mainspring housing. Very easy to get rid of by simply changing the mainspring housing which I normally do anyway. So I don't worry about it. 

I've been shooting and collecting guns for about 40 years now and its safe to say that I have "a few". None of my guns have internal locks and none ever will.