HCP/CCW - What are you preparing for?

5.....Don't forget the Muddy Mississippi! :D

I didn't. I assumed the 1st two were I-40 and the Old Man. Rail lines and I-55, which is the most direct road link between the great lakes and the gulf, make 4.

I still don't know anyone would notice, though. I suppose someone might think that the "after" was a city-wide beautification project.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
I'm more worried about ball cancer than I am about meeting AQ outside of their stomping grounds.

Of course they'll try to attack us again and probably succeed to some degree, but the chances of being a direct victim or being in a position to intervene is about as likely as Jennifer Anniston showing up at my door to service me and make a sammich. Not saying that I don't fantasize about that happening, and keep hope alive that it does, I'm just realistic about the odds.

I carry because it is my duty to protect my family, and a firearm is more effective than a broadsword, although not nearly as fashionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

The risk from a terrorist attack in the US is pretty small based on historic data. 9/11 was an anomaly and, honestly, that was 13 years ago now and occurred in a prime target. If it's ever going to be an issue around here, you'll get plenty of warning (and yes, IEDs, etc are the more likely mode of attack than "man with a gun" in any case.

Of the realistic reasons, they are more mundane. Robber, disgruntled co-worker, road-rage, mall shooter. There's really no reason not to be prepared for them all as a group than one in particular.

I prepare and maintain preparedness in order to protect the prescious lives of my loved ones.  Protecting my own life (being able to partner/provide as a husband and instruct/love as a parent) is a part of that.  

I don't want to be in a situation to have to employ deadly force; I would much rather Avoid, Evade, or Escape.  "Engage" remains the last option on that short, comprehensive list.  Gunfights are a nasty business, and there is nothing in me that needs to prove anything to anyone by choosing "Engage" when one of my other three options remain.  That's why Situational Awareness is my first defense employed... always.

• Like 2
My "worst case scenarios" that informed my choice of carry weapon are either a 1 or 2 bad guy armed robbery or a lunatic road rager. My normal carry gun is a j-frame .357. I like that it has no manual safety and is stupid simple. It's probably enough gun to get me through either scenario. I try to avoid rough areas and crazies.

I'm not Jack Bauer. Furthermore, Tennessee prohibits me from carrying the hardware needed to overwhelm zombie mutant Al Qa'ida sleeper cells. If things get that bad, I'm heading home, not duking it out in a parking lot. Thus, .357 for me.

I live where Loudon and Roane Counties meet.  I work in west Knoxville (and can't carry a gun where I work due both to state law and employer's rules) but spend the majority of my 'off time', when not at home, in towns like Loudon, Lenoir City, Kingston, Harriman, Rockwood and Sweetwater.  Therefore, I carry based on my perceived threat level and the most likely threats in the areas I generally frequent.  To me, such threats would be comprised of one or two robbers, meth heads, etc. and not a terrorist cell.  Because of that, most of the time I feel plenty 'armed' with a J-frame in .38+P with a speed strip reload or a Kel Tec P3AT with a spare mag.  Even when shopping, dining, etc. in Knoxville I usually feel that one of those two is sufficient.  I have a couple of other carry options that I exercise, sometimes (a CZ 82 or a Ruger P95) either because I might be headed somewhere I think I might 'need' more or simply just because I feel like it but the J-frame is my most often carried followed by the P3AT.  Part of the decision for me is that such small guns are very easy to conceal in the majority of situations and styles of dress while at the same time I think they would be 'up to' dealing with any threat I am likely to face.

The sort of situation I envision would be something like what actually happened in Loudon last Friday.  The local cops were chasing a stolen vehicle on I-75 and On-Star slowed the vehicle as the thief left the Interstate at exit 72 (the Loudon exit.)  The thief jumped out of the vehicle at a gas station, hi-jacked another, rammed yet another vehicle and hit a deputy while trying to escape.  I get off at exit 72 on my way home every work day and was there in time on Friday to see the ambulances and fire trucks still in the Weigels parking lot while the cops had both entrances blocked and police tape up.  I don't think the perp threatened the person whose car he hi-jacked - my impression is that he just jumped in while they were out of the car and took off - but I am not sure.  As I do not leave my keys in the car while I get gas, however, anyone looking to take my vehicle would have to come to me for the keys and threaten me in order to get them.  Those sorts of small, fairly isolated but entirely possible (and, unfortunately, more frequent) occurrences are the situations for which I feel the most need to be prepared.

In fact, I can say that the thing that most provoked me to get my HCP were the Christian-Newsom murders.  I had been 'thinking about' getting an HCP for a few years before but the terrible events surrounding their slayings really made me go from 'thinking about' to doing.  I have often wondered how things might have been different if one (or both) of the victims had a J-frame or a little .380 in their pocket.

Edited by JAB
Guest theconstitutionrocks

FWIW, the worst case is being in a place where you CAN'T carry, and having you, your wife, and kids, at gunpoint by a perfectly sane, committed killer. But I digress. A handgun is better than nothing but against a long gun you are already at a distinct disadvantage. It is just important, if not more so, to exercise common sense, have a plan, stay out of areas you don't belong in, and maintain situational awareness.

Guest theconstitutionrocks

I see some flap here about ISIS and an attack on the US....Couple of thoughts...

1. Since terror attacks, at least here in the US are rare, if and when they do occur, the bad guy is likely going to want a high payoff target for his efforts, therefore the chances of being in that one movie theater or walmart when he decides to act are pretty remote.

2. Short of frying the grid, or screwing up finances/infrastructure support, there is very little if anything they can do to seriously impact the US...IT IS OUR RESPONSE TO THE EVENT THAT CRIPPLES US.

3. ISIS cannot and will not conduct the type of attacks here that they do in Iraq and Syria...they don't have the instability, the logistics, or the apathy of the civilian population to allow that permissive environment.

Lastly, ISIS is a self limiting/terminal entity. There is a very small core group that is bent on power and self preservation. They do not care about the "workers/trigger pullers" Their support will last only as long as they are able to provide specific things the fighters want. Once the movement runs out of steam or their units get heavily prosecuted by large capable forces, you will see the organization fracture. tangible assets. 

I see some flap here about ISIS and an attack on the US....Couple of thoughts...

1. Since terror attacks, at least here in the US are rare, if and when they do occur, the bad guy is likely going to want a high payoff target for his efforts, therefore the chances of being in that one movie theater or walmart when he decides to act are pretty remote.

2. Short of frying the grid, or screwing up finances/infrastructure support, there is very little if anything they can do to seriously impact the US...IT IS OUR RESPONSE TO THE EVENT THAT CRIPPLES US.

3. ISIS cannot and will not conduct the type of attacks here that they do in Iraq and Syria...they don't have the instability, the logistics, or the apathy of the civilian population to allow that permissive environment.

Lastly, ISIS is a self limiting/terminal entity. There is a very small core group that is bent on power and self preservation. They do not care about the "workers/trigger pullers" Their support will last only as long as they are able to provide specific things the fighters want. Once the movement runs out of steam or their units get heavily prosecuted by large capable forces, you will see the organization fracture. tangible assets. 

For the most part, I agree with you.  But the left is working on the instability, and the apathy is well-established.

Could the logistics come from the drug cartels south of the border?

Well I don't know anything specific to prepare for these days, you don't have to live in the hood to be a home invasion victim or a car jack victim. I also am not going to walk around the house with my 870 or holster for my Glock 21 all the time. I do however keep my SP101 in a homemade pocket holster around the house so I do have a gun on me wherever i'm at. When i'm out i'll have my Glock holstered, if i'm on my bed sleeping or watching TV I have my 870 handy. If someday SHTF, i'll keep my MAK-90 with me and my Glock holstered.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JMH42/media/PocketHolster_zps9c73fbba.jpg.html]PocketHolster_zps9c73fbba.jpg[/URL]

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1

Well I don't know anything specific to prepare for these days, you don't have to live in the hood to be a home invasion victim or a car jack victim. I also am not going to walk around the house with my 870 or holster for my Glock 21 all the time. I do however keep my SP101 in a homemade pocket holster around the house so I do have a gun on me wherever i'm at. When i'm out i'll have my Glock holstered, if i'm on my bed sleeping or watching TV I have my 870 handy. If someday SHTF, i'll keep my MAK-90 with me and my Glock holstered.

PocketHolster_zps9c73fbba.jpg

Neat pocket holster! :up: