C&R license question

I've been doing a cost/benefit analysis into applying for a C&R license, and I have a question about purchases.

If I understand correctly, you can purchase a C&R firearm and have it shipped directly to you instead of going through an FFL.

My question is this-  does this apply only to C&R firearms, or does it include any firearms?

Thanks

C&R only. It’s not a dealer’s license.

I have never had a gun shipped to me on mine, but I have saved hundreds on purchases of other stuff. But that was mostly with Midway; I don’t think they give a dealers discount to C&R holders anymore. Edited by DaveTN

What DaveTN said. Still, it's pretty awesome to meet the UPS man and have him hand you a box if firearms.  :up:

Plus you get dealer pricing at some websites. Brownell's does that for us. I know there are others, but that's the only one I've used.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

Southern Ohio Gun will also set you up an account with your C&R.  As for cost / benefit analysis with the cost only $30 for three years if you only have one C&R firearm shipped to you saving the transfer fee (seems to average ~$25 at least 'round here) and background ($10) you're probably already ahead.

Yeah, Brownell's still offers an FFL discount.  Mine expired in '09 and I still get the discount.  I guess they haven't purged the system in a while.  But it does make me tend to favor Brownell's when I'm ordering.

Unfortunately, the era of the smoking deals on surplus arms is nearing its end.  You can't order automatic weapons with an 03.  And that's what the world's militaries started going to in the 50's and 60's.  

But, yes, if you find something you want and it is over 50 years old or otherwise classified as C&R, you can have it shipped to your door.  Not instead of going through an FFL, but because you hold an FFL.

You cannot "engage in the business".  Which means you can't buy a ton of old stuff and resell it at a profit.  Occasional buying and reselling is not forbidden.

Cost/benefit?  You'll probably save the $30 on your first Mosin Nagant.  So yeah.  Economically it's well worth it.

I'll echo others here. If you've got visions of low cost surplus weaponry floating in your head, the day has about passed. If you're looking to get a nice collection of older stuff it's certainly viable.

As to the whole discount deal, a few months back Brownells had a sale on JP adjustable gas blocks. Usually $70. But for "dealers" they were down to $45. I saved my entire cost in the first one I bought. Since I got 4-5 I figure I made money, sort of.

I try to only pull the online trigger from Brownells if I have $200 or more to buy, with that in mind I've saved either the entire cost, more, or just shy of $30 on near every order.

The only downside is having to keep a bound book for records, and that's no big deal, just something you have to remember to do.

If that doesn't sell it, the ATF sends out an impressive packet filled with useful information on all things gun legality related. I recon I could sell the packet for $30 if I really tried. Lol.

Yep, the mountains of surplus have just about gone away, I did manage to pick up a pair of Mosin carbines from J&G last winter for a pretty good price and they were in pretty good shape. No museum pieces, but not run over by a T-34 either. Aim Surplus usually has some OK prices on various C&R items. It seems like they usually have various Mosins around including the revolvers, plus Tokarev pistols. They had a bunch of Swiss rifles too, but I haven't seen them up there for a while.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I really don't have any visions of amassing an amazing collection of surplus arms-  I would imagine that if I pulled the plug, my 'book' would be pretty small. 

There are a few things I'd like to pick up along the way however- and having a C&R might be beneficial there.

I was unclear about the step-around to a regular FFL though, for non-C&R firearms. I didn't find that clear in my readings across the interwebs.  It would have certainly sweetened the pot.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.  :up:

• 2 weeks later...