Anybody here play SOCOM?

Seaslug

For those who don't know, the SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs games are widely considered to be the finest online-multiplayer tactical shooters out there. They are Playstation exclusives, and they are now in their 5th iteration.

So, Confrontation came out this week (finally), and despite some moderate early release issues, I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time in front of my PS3 for the foreseeable future. If anyone else is a fan of the franchise, just shoot me a friend invite. My PSN handle is Seaslug23.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest superdrew4000

Right now the flavor of the month with my friends is Team Fortress 2, but we've played everything from the Call of Duty series, to most of the Battlefield games, and Counter-Strike. Ah, mispent youth.

SOCOM licks Call of Duty 4's balls. :)

Wow. And here I thought the Navy would've taught you about this little concept I like to call "tactics". :) COD4 is great if you like running around by yourself and being a bullet magnet, but SOCOM requires the 3 C's: cooperation, coordination, and communication. Anybody can run and gun, but working together as a team to achieve a common objective has much more appeal to me. Just my $0.02.

Guest Mugster
I guess I'm weird. I haven't played aa action video game in over 4 years. Nothing against them, just don't really play them. I do, however, play tennis and bowling on my Wii from time to time!

Do that hula thing and post a video :)

So looking forward to World at War coming out! Less than a month!

Course, I've also picked EverQuest back up after 2 years of little or no MMO's, so thats taking most my time too =(

The only mmo ive played is Lineage 2.

its a grindfest so it turns alot of people off. I quit after like 3 years.

oh, I play PC cod4 at this server

8.12.68.185:28960

I go by Daniel.

its the TYL clans server. its on hardcore with mostly TDM but one sabotage.

the server is always full so if you have trouble connecting just keep at it.

My xfire name is Junglist745

Wow. And here I thought the Navy would've taught you about this little concept I like to call "tactics". :) COD4 is great if you like running around by yourself and being a bullet magnet, but SOCOM requires the 3 C's: cooperation, coordination, and communication. Anybody can run and gun, but working together as a team to achieve a common objective has much more appeal to me. Just my $0.02.
I completely see your point. for teamwork I play the Battlefield series. Most recently Battlefield 2 up to a few months ago. If they release another decent one as opposed to 2142 I may play that series again. I just don't personally care for socom.
Guest Verbal Kint
So looking forward to World at War coming out! Less than a month!

[NERD MODE ON]

So burned out on WoW. Bunch of nerds (what I referred to them b4 I go sucked into the game) at my last base played it. Seemed the entire AF population at Langley played it, actually, so I gave it a shot. Spent the next 2.5 years grinding out content, to the point that it became a second job.

We became the top {A} guild on the server, 2nd overall to a {H} guild... and cleared all content a few months before Sunwell was ever released. By that point everyone was so burned out that the guild disbanded and people went back to their real lives. Some still play the game, but transferred off to different servers.

But yeah... it was a fun game... and I've always been in the top 5 guilds on the 4 servers I played on. But, IMO, Blizzard ruined the game for me when TBC came out and they capped the raid limit to 25. Was way more fun back in the 40-man raid days of MC, BWL, AQ40, Naxx, etc.

[NERD MODE OFF]

I remember seeing a study stating that 70% of the WoW players become addicted to the game. And I'm sure a few of us have seen the video of the teenage kid throwing a huge fit, before collapsing on the floor crying, because his parents decided to cancel his gaming and internet. :screwy:

Looking back, I wasted so much time playing that damn game... and it truly was like a 2nd job. I would work with these guys in the military during the day, then play WoW all damn night with them. There were times where we would stop raiding and only have 2 hours before we needed to shower and be back at work. It was retarded. And God forbid you missed a raid night... people were actually bitched at and would lose their raid spot.

I honestly don't miss the game, and am much better off without it. The game was/is like crack. Sure, I had fun playing it... but you guys are mental. Have fun with the expack. :lol:

Guest Verbal Kint

Back to the topic... haven't played SOCOM in years. Played COD4 for awhile, while I was up at Langley. Seemed it was the popular thing at the time. Ended up selling my XBox though, and all my games, to my supervisor. Was sick of gaming in general, and he was looking to pick up a system, so it worked out. Made some cash and saved him quite a bit of money, since it was a practically new system and had a bunch of stuff with it. :screwy:

Guest superslacker

I've been too busy to even get tired of battlefield: bad company. How does socom compare to battlefield? I haven't played socom since the second version for the ps2.

Guest Verbal Kint
thats how lineage 2 was but harder to level up. like ten times harder.

Yeah, had friends that played it. I leveled up several characters in WoW, up to 60 and then up to 70. And all of them were in the best gear in the game. Always top tier weapons and armor. Which helped when it came time to quit the game and sell them. Easily sold them for like $400 and up. Sold probably 8 different "toons" throughout my time playing. Most profit I made was $800 on one character. :lol:

However, I've also seen people sell their accounts for upwards of $2500, and people actually pay it. :screwy:

Played Lineage 2 for... 2 weeks and couldnt stand it. 75% of the server population were automated bots, not to mention the time sink it requires to level once. Played WoW for a year, and while fun, it lost its luster after the 400th "Bring me 10 rat anus's" type quests. Played Age of Conan for a week when it came out, and it was terrible. Also played Warhammer for a week when it came out - its a mirror copy of WoW with a smaller world and more emphesis on PvP, which was bugged all to hell.

Keep going back to good ol' EQ :screwy:.