Never buy a Stihl Chainsaw

I agree, Stihl is the stuff.  Of course emissions regs have made the new ones less powerful than the old ones.  According to a friend of mine who uses them more than I do, it may be better to find one a few years old in good condition.  

And, also according to him and the guys at ACE Hardware, the Pro models can be torn down and rebuilt, especially in the field, whereas the home models are not made quite as robust and serviceable.  Which makes sense.

I have an 025 I bought around 2002.  Ran like a champ until last year.  I thought the coil (magneto, whatever) had gone bad.  So I replaced it with an off-brand.  It ran for a few minutes then quit again.  I bought a Stihl brand and it still wouldn't start.  Took it to ACE and one of the guys took the carb off and messed with it a little bit.  Fired right up and hasn't quit since.

A friend of mine has an Alaskan mill.  So I'm going to try to find a good used 046 or 066 (or 440-whatever, or 660.  I've lost track of their model numbers now that I don't use them for a living anymore) pretty soon.

I've used a few Husqvarnas and they're good saws, but they're a PITA to tear down and clean.

• Like 1

I love buying stihl products at the pawn shop!

I hadn't even considered hitting the pawn shops. Great idea. :up:

Since the concept of redundancy is a hallmark of prepping, maybe I can convince the missus I need to check out a pawn shop for an extra Stihl product. Can't hurt to try.  :pleased: 

Great info and stories folks. Thanks for the input. Here I thought I was the only one that had this problem. LOL.

I've used a few Husqvarnas and they're good saws, but they're a PITA to tear down and clean.

I 2nd this^ I've got a 55 Rancher that I use around home and you almost need compressed air to get all the crap out. That is unless you have an hour to pick it all out of every nook and cranny. I really like this saw but it's not the same breed as the stihl saws I used to have.
[quote name="Luke E." post="1186273" timestamp="1409847410"]I 2nd this^ I've got a 55 Rancher that I use around home and you almost need compressed air to get all the crap out. That is unless you have an hour to pick it all out of every nook and cranny. I really like this saw but it's not the same breed as the stihl saws I used to have.[/quote] Yes. Only reason I would choose to not buy a husky is the way it comes apart. I was on a chainsaw squad with the Forest Service in Colorado and got nice and cosy with a Stihl 460. Got a job in TN and out "shop saw" was a Husky, and I hated cleaning that thing. I really hate how the cover plate and dogs aren't one piece like they are on Stihl

"I bought this thing in 1983. I was living outside of Kansas City, MO at the time. I lived in a barn loft"

You're name's not Dalton is it? Maybe I've watched Roadhouse too many times.

I think Stihl makes some good equipment but I currently have a Husquvarna 350 that I bought in '95, runs and cuts like a champ.

• Like 1