Pictures of the first thing in my trust

This is the M85 I picked up a few months ago. And after getting a trust from John Wells I decided to do the right thing and SBR it. First I refinished the stocks in a brown satin but it never really appealed to me. So over the past few days I decided to refinish the stocks. The new version is a lot more red and more glossy.

Here is what it used to look like
rIMG_0064_zpsee45dd03.jpg

And what it looks like now
rIMG_0040_zps15bf9490.jpg
1d249761-1c56-4eb6-a975-0f16b5f2fd16_zps
rIMG_0043_zpsc300698d.jpg
rIMG_0052_zps13f0b5fe.jpg64d9b4c9-3722-471e-94ce-817ada5b1845_zps

I purchased a M92, 7.62x39 version, and when it gets here it will get the full tactical treatment.

• Like 4

Dynomite, Dolomite. ;)

I've got a reddish pistol grip closer to the wood color I'll throw in the range bag case you want it.

- OS

Only if it is US made. I am kind of close on my parts count. I have steel magazines I cannot use until I get my US muzzle brake in. If I swap out this US made one for a foreign one I cannot use the steel magazines.

The one in the picture is a US made version of the original.

http://shop.roninsgrips.com/Russian-Tula-AK-74-mold-6-2-Russian-Tula-6-2.htm

He sells a ton of US made AK stuff:

http://shop.roninsgrips.com/main.sc

I really like that red color. What stain did you use, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks in advance.

Minwax Sedona red.

Only if it is US made. I am kind of close on my parts count. I have steel magazines I cannot use until I get my US muzzle brake in. If I swap out this US made one for a foreign one I cannot use the steel magazines.

Forgot about that. No, it's Romy or whatever.

- OS

I just bought a M92 last weekend and it is going to be my first NFA project .I hope mine turns out as nice as yours did. mind if I ask , what stock and folding mechanism did you use ? I have been looking at the Stormwerkz folding unit and a Manticore Arms triangle Stock. I also like the red on the wood .

[quote name="Dolomite_supafly" post="1186673" timestamp="1409961973"]Only if it is US made. I am kind of close on my parts count.[/quote] I thought NFA items didn't have to be compliant. Perhaps I didn't read that one correctly? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When making a rifle, even from a pistol, from foreign parts it must be 922r compliant if the end result is a gun that cannot be imported. I did some research then called the ATF to be 100% positive because it does add about several hundred dollars to the cost. And because I was making a "rifle" it must be 922r compliant. There is an ATF opinion on the net stating that as well.

I was looking into the Manticore stock but I hear it is heavy, it is also pretty expensive at $110. But as far as ease of assembly you cannot get any easier. Drill and tap a couple of holes in the receiver, screw the hinge to the receiver and then screw the Manticore stock to the hinge.

I also wanted something that looked authentic but the real stocks are $300+ and then you need to find a builder to install it. And that would have been far to much for me to justify.

I started looking around and came across this.

http://www.rpbindustries.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=rpbindustries&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AKKRST-E1

But it is designed to be installed in place of a fixed stock, not a folder. So what I did was cut the part of the stock off that goes inside of the receiver. Then I drilled into the end of the stock and installed some 10-32 threaded inserts like these so I can screw a mounting plate to.

Brass_Threaded_Inserts_for_Plastic.jpg

This is the plate I made to screw to the stock and screw to the ACE folding hinge.

IMG_0016_zpscec59aa3.jpg

This was not even close to being plug and play. It took several attempts to get everything right but now that it is I really like it.

The only thing I do not like is the ACE pushbutton hinge developed a wobble. I have had two ACE hinges, a standard and the push button, and both developed wobbles pretty quickly. I will probably pick up another hinge to try, perhaps the Stormwerks.

I looked at the Bonesteel hinge/stock combos as well but has heard of several complaints that it is below the receiver and digs into the hand.

I have another AK pistol coming and I will probably use a different hinge with the pignose adapter I already have with a buffer tube. It will be pretty straight forward and other than the hinge I already have everything I need.

[quote name="Dolomite_supafly" post="1188444" timestamp="1410354847"]When making a rifle, even from a pistol, from foreign parts it must be 922r compliant if the end result is a gun that cannot be imported. I did some research then called the ATF to be 100% positive because it does add about several hundred dollars to the cost. And because I was making a "rifle" it must be 922r compliant. There is an ATF opinion on the net stating that as well. [/quote] I'll have to look around for that. I know a few people who will be very disappointed. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It upset me because it meant I had to spend an extra $100 to be able to use the 8 steel magazines I bought.

Here is a opinion letter:

922r_NFA_July_2009.jpg

This does beg the question, how does someone meet 922r compliance when SBRing a pistol from another country where American made parts are not available? I know Glocks are pretty popular pistols to SBR but if you have one of the imported ones can enough US made parts be bought to bring it into compliance?

I thought NFA items didn't have to be compliant.

I was under the same impression.

You probably jumped through hoops to get the gun.

You definately jumped through hoops to legally SBR it.

And, at the end of all that, .gov is still hung up on the origin of some of the parts that do the exact same thing as US made parts.

Jeez, this crap is irritating.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1
[quote name="TN-popo" post="1188617" timestamp="1410387506"]I was under the same impression. You probably jumped through hoops to get the gun. You definately jumped through hoops to legally SBR it. And, at the end of all that, .gov is still hung up on the origin of some of the parts. Jeez, this crap is irritating...[/quote] It is. I have an AK74 from the 90s that I added stuff onto with parts from unknown origins. I wonder how the ATF could tell when I don't even know? Perhaps I need to start stamping my stocks and grips "made in USA"? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It is. I have an AK74 from the 90s that I added stuff onto with parts from unknown origins. I wonder how the ATF could tell when I don't even know? Perhaps I need to start stamping my stocks and grips "made in USA"?

In the practical sense, not sure that an individual owner has ever been prosecuted or much less convicted of a 922r charge since it was enacted.

Possession of a non-conforming firearm is not even an offense btw, although I guess you'd maybe lose the gun.Only doing the non-conforming modification itself is unlawful. I can see that a lot of detail work would have to go into prosecution for many guns to prove origin of parts and who did what to it when.

Maybe not so hard if you're the only owner and converted an imported gun to registered SBR though. ;) But in practical sense again, there are plenty of imported firearms that get SBRed, probably most of them ain't 922r complaint, and would be a ready made pool for ATF to dive into if they really wanted to.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1188723" timestamp="1410405674"]In the practical sense, not sure that an individual owner has ever been prosecuted or much less convicted of a 922r charge since it was enacted. Possession of a non-conforming firearm is not even an offense btw, although I guess you'd maybe lose the gun.Only doing the non-conforming modification itself is unlawful. I can see that a lot of detail work would have to go into prosecution for many guns to prove origin of parts and who did what to it when. Maybe not so hard if you're the only owner and converted an imported gun to registered SBR though. ;) But in practical sense again, there are plenty of imported firearms that get SBRed, probably most of them ain't 922r complaint, and would be a ready made pool for ATF to dive into if they really wanted to. - OS[/quote] Food for thought I suppose. Considering I bought it used, who knows where all the parts came from? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk