Kroger assault incident

How is this not being classified as a hate crime? How would you have handled this situation?

http://wreg.com/2014/09/07/teens-attack-people-in-parking-lot/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Three people were attacked by a large "group of teenagers Saturday night.

The incident happened around 9:15 p.m. in the parking lot of the Kroger at Highland and Poplar.

A store employee caught video of the attack.

A 25-year-old man said he was attacked by the group as he walked to his car. Two Kroger employees, 17 and 18, ran to help the man. Both were repeatedly hit in the head and face.

The teens told police pumpkins “in excess of 20 pounds” were thrown on their heads while they were on the ground.

Police say both teens lost consciousness. Eventually, a security guard stopped the attack.

Kroger confirmed two of their male employees were attacked in the parking lot, taken to the hospital and released to their parents.

The video has spread via Facebook and other social media sites.

Memphis Police Director Toney Director Armstrong released a statement to the media saying “We are fully aware of last night’s incidents. It is extremely troubling to see how many young people were involved, especially on the heels of last week’s youth forum”.

“A lot of our citizens are working to provide safe and productive alternatives for our youth. For those that choose not to take advantage of these opportunities, we will work tirelessly to identify, locate and hold you accountable”.

“Last night’s events clearly demonstrates a lack of parental controls and if warranted these parents will also be held accountable”.

Investigators with Tilman Station’s are working hard to identify the ones responsible for this crime.

If any one has any information concerning this incident is asked to contact the Tillman station at 901-636-3214 or Crime Stoppers at 901-528-CASH.

WREG is working to get more details on this story.

Edited by lunarpowered
  • Like 1

This is happening, and has been happening all over the country. For a while. I think it started several years ago, was it in Virginia, where the reporter and his girlfriend (or her boyfriend, the details are fuzzy) were attacked in the middle of the street while in their car.

Here in Louisville last year, or earlier this year, we had several days where they would just block the streets and attack folks. 

I hate to say that no one did anything, because the police did go and arrest three random teens after the waterfront attacks, who all three had solid alibis, and weren't even close to the description of any of the teens involved, except for one major identifier. LMPD has been kissing a lot of ass after that incident and it seems they are scared to make any arrests afterward.

Events like this that are being video recorded will eventually be used in a defense trial when somebody actually levels the field and drops multiple targets because he/she knows and understands the threat.  These events are becoming so common you would think that people would exert more diligence in their situational awareness.

Be ready, be vigilant in your carry, and don't be a victim.

• Like 4
the

So what is your solution instead of a post ladled with sarcasm?

What's left but sarcasm when we see so many elected officials cave in to mob stupidity that's inspired by crap like Facebook and Twitter.

Edited by Raoul

Upside: no less than a half dozen friends have posted on Facebook that they want to get their permits now. They don't think I am so crazy anymore.

I was about a mile or so east of Highland last night on Poplar...could have easily been where I was...things are definitely bad.  Just tired of hearing the race rhetoric, from both sides....

• Like 5

Those in the video are attacking because of one thing, their victim is not like them. It should be a hate crime but it will not be because, according to race baiters, minorities cannot be racists but there are plenty of attacks that prove that some minorities are racist. And the reason why a lot of them are racist is because of the race baiters, like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, have told them they have a right to hate everyone else except themselves for the sad socio-economic situation that they have put themselves in. I suspect from a very early age a lot of minorities are told to hate those that are not like them and this hate is starting to boil over in the form of violence because those racists are attacking more and more often. It is these types, the race baiters and those who follow them, that will continue to attack because they are not being held accountable. Every single person involved should be charged and in a case like that the shooter trying to defend himself should not be charged if any member of the mob is killed.

This will not get a single second of air time. And if by some freak chance it is aired the race baiters will come along to down play it, make excuses and then blame those being attacked for provoking it.

• Like 9

Shouldn't the people we elect to office be held accountable for that?

No. They should be held accountable of coming up with a stupid idea like "hate crime".

How can you adjudicate thought or intent? Actions and outcomes should be the only thing judged in assault type crimes.

I guess I would be more clear in stating that emotion should not be accounted for in the courtroom.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3

Those in the video are attacking because of one thing, their victim is not like them.

There were 2 other victims.  Reports were that one of those 2 were black, you can see him toward the end of the video in a safety vest being pulled back by a Kroger employee.  I don't disagree with the fact that this kid was jumped because he was white.  And you are right, these kids (and the parents) should be held accountable for the violence they handed out.  My point is that both the black and white community have their fair share of ignorance.  I have seen PLENTY of comments today made by whites that are just as stupid and ignorant as those that were made by ignorant black people in Ferguson, MO.  There is a deeper issue here at play than just the color of someone's skin being different and you addressed it; this is learned behavior.  And it comes from all sides, not just from the black community....

• Like 6

There were 2 other victims.  Reports were that one of those 2 were black, you can see him toward the end of the video in a safety vest being pulled back by a Kroger employee.  I don't disagree with the fact that this kid was jumped because he was white.  And you are right, these kids (and the parents) should be held accountable for the violence they handed out.  My point is that both the black and white community have their fair share of ignorance.  I have seen PLENTY of comments today made by whites that are just as stupid and ignorant as those that were made by ignorant black people in Ferguson, MO.  There is a deeper issue here at play than just the color of someone's skin being different and you addressed it; this is learned behavior.  And it comes from all sides, not just from the black community....

....and it's been thoroughly promoted by our federal government officials.

• Like 2
  • Authorized Vendor

They are true animals in every sense of the word.

I can honestly say that I would go to prison if it were me, or anyone I loved, being attacked like that. The reason is because I would try to kill everyone involved even if they are not attacking because being there supporting those who are attacking should carry the same consequences as those doing the attacking. Don't want to die then don't hang around those that should be killed.

That is the exact reason why I roll around armed like I am in a warzone, because you never know when you might find yourself in one. And because I am white I will be crucified if I have to kill a minority that is killing me.

You and me both my friend. These dirt bag animals deserve nothing more than the treatment they deal out. Anything more would be a total injustice. As far as a hate crime......see post #2.

• Like 1