S&W SD9VE or Ruger SR9e

TnTurk

I am going to purchase one of these two guns for when I'm out and about, camping, and to just keep in my truck/home. I already have a Shield 9mm that gets used as my edc. I like that both have 4" barrels and high capacity round count. Plus, both seem to get good reviews and the price is hard to beat on both guns. So if anyone has any experience with either gun, good or bad, please feel free to share.  Thanks and God Bless

Edited by TnTurk

Ruger all the way.

+100

Actually I'm going to take this back simply because I didn't realize exactly what you were talking about. I skimmed through the noted choices and thought you meant SR9c. ( I still love Rugers though LOL)

Edited by rugerla1

The SR9e is brand new. Don't know anyone who has shot one yet. I have a S&W SD9VE and I can tell you that I LOVE it for the price. It had an ok trigger from the factory (after a lot of dry firing to smooth it out). I put a cheap Apex kit in it and it's the best trigger of any handgun I own other than my Model 10 revolver.

Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cleMs8xmqc

That particular gun had 100 rounds through it when he shot it and it was before I put the trigger kit in it.

I also have a shield and I like the trigger on the SD9VE after the apex kit better than the shield to be completely honest

• Like 1
The Ruger is new so no telling how it will stack up over a few months of use.

But I had the SD9VE and for $320 out the door (when I bought it) I was very happy. Trigger wasn't terrible, but an Apex kit really helped. Mine would eat any ammo I tried and was pretty accurate.
I'd go with the Ruger, even though it's new. For all practical purposes it's an SR9 with a few non-functional changes: 1) wider slide serrations and different dovetails fo the slide (less machining time), 2) removed loaded chamber indicator (an improvement IMO), replaced with inspection port, 3) less expensive matte finish, 4) cardboard box instead of plastic, and 5) one mag instead of 2. Those are the only changes I could find and they knocked about 25% off the price.
I had a 40VE and like everyone says, perfectly functioning gun, just a rough trigger. I had the trigger worked on and it was great after that!

I'm now a dedicated M&P man, but sometimes I still miss the ol' 40VE. If I found a smokin' deal on one in 9 or 40 I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I could always use another bug out bag pistol or 5.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm just not a Ruger fan. I agree they are great guns and I respect the company... have a 10/22 and still want another GP100, but those are the ONLY things they make that I want.

I say get whatever you like the most, or whatever you find the best deal on. :)

I had a 40VE and like everyone says, perfectly functioning gun, just a rough trigger. I had the trigger worked on and it was great after that!

I'm now a dedicated M&P man, but sometimes I still miss the ol' 40VE. If I found a smokin' deal on one in 9 or 40 I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I could always use another bug out bag pistol or 5.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm just not a Ruger fan. I agree they are great guns and I respect the company... have a 10/22 and still want another GP100, but those are the ONLY things they make that I want.

I say get whatever you like the most, or whatever you find the best deal on. :)

Just me, but the only SR series pistols I like enough to keep have been the SR45 and the SR1911.

I'd go with the Ruger, even though it's new. For all practical purposes it's an SR9 with a few non-functional changes: 1) wider slide serrations and different dovetails fo the slide (less machining time), 2) removed loaded chamber indicator (an improvement IMO), replaced with inspection port, 3) less expensive matte finish, 4) cardboard box instead of plastic, and 5) one mag instead of 2. Those are the only changes I could find and they knocked about 25% off the price.

This. And a really great trigger to begin with. No additional work or parts needed.

Of those two, I'd pick the S&W.

But before I bought I'd take at least look around the internet a bit for a police trade in Beretta or Glock or 3rd Gen S&W.

Exactly, I have been tempted on several occasions to pick up a new SD during one of the $299 sales but I can get a used Glock 22 for the same deal at GT's. By doing that I will be sticking with something that uses Glock 40 mags( I have dozens).
I was really excited about the SR9 when they came out 4 years ago. We took one apart inside the gun store and I was turned off by too many little moving parts. When we tried to put it back together we got the slide stuck and it had to go back to Ruger.

Wow. It ain't hard. It's NOT a MKII.

Well, it was my fault for two reasons: I was working the trigger mechanism while it was disassembled and when it wouldn't go back easily I forced it. Ruger actually said that the ejector got bent in the process. I was actually a lot bigger and stronger then and don't know if I could do it now or if the average person could force it, but I wasn't my gun.

Well, it was my fault for two reasons: I was working the trigger mechanism while it was disassembled and when it wouldn't go back easily I forced it. Ruger actually said that the ejector got bent in the process. I was actually a lot bigger and stronger then and don't know if I could do it now or if the average person could force it, but I wasn't my gun.

Gotcha.

I've shot both and own a SD9VE. Honestly it comes down to price for me since I don't care for rugers I picked up the SD. I've had 1200 trouble free rounds and still runs well. Trigger is a little tough but as mentioned above but its not horrible. I added the apex trigger not the spring kit. I wanted to reduce pre/over travel while maintaining factory springs. And after 1200 rounds the trigger has really smoothed out.

Also have you fired both pistols?

I've shot both and own a SD9VE. Honestly it comes down to price for me since I don't care for rugers I picked up the SD. I've had 1200 trouble free rounds and still runs well. Trigger is a little tough but as mentioned above but its not horrible. I added the apex trigger not the spring kit. I wanted to reduce pre/over travel while maintaining factory springs. And after 1200 rounds the trigger has really smoothed out.

Also have you fired both pistols?

I have had my hands on both but not actually fired the guns. My mind keeps saying go with the Smith, but that's probably because I really like my Shield 9mm a lot.

The Smith is about 3-4 ounces lighter and it does come with two mags.

How do you feel about the safety on the Ruger? That would lean me towards the Smith with it's extra mag and potentially lower price.

To me, it's a non issue. They've never been engaged on any of mine. Unnecessary. Plenty safe without them. BUT, for those of a mind to, it's there.