Apple Anouncements

KahrMan

First off, yes I am an Apple fan boy.  Now that's out of the way, what did y'all think about the announcements today?

I like the new size of the iPhone 6.  I think the 6+ is to big.  I know some will like it but seems to cumbersome for me.

The two big announcements in my opinion were the Apple Pay and Apple Watch.  Take some time and read up on them  I think they are going to have big impacts on your daily life.

With Apple Pay all you have to do is touch your phone or watch to a sensor and the payment is made.  Here is a little info on it:

Every time you hand over your credit or debit card to pay, your card number and identity are visible. With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone and Apple Watch. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number alongside a transaction-specific dynamic security code is used to process your payment. So your actual credit or debit card numbers are never shared with merchants or transmitted with payment.
  • Like 2

YEA! Now that feeling of panic that I get when I reach in my pocket for my phone and it's not there will be combined with that feeling of panic that I get when I reach in my other pocket for my wallet and it's not there.  :panic:

Seriously though, I think it will finally make alternative pay methods take off. We've had various non-cash/non-swipe-card things available, but they haven't been widely adopted by retailers or consumers. This will change that.

As far as the iWatch, at first it seems a bit gimmicky to me, but I can see how in 10 years we'll have wearable technology everywhere and we'll look back at the iWatch and see how it was the first widely adopted wearable. One big problem that I can see is that it will make it easier/more tempting to read texts/emails while driving.....

Edited by monkeylizard

The two big announcements in my opinion were the Apple Pay and Apple Watch.  Take some time and read up on them  I think they are going to have big impacts on your daily life.

Whatever Apple does, Google will do just as intrusively on privacy, but more user friendly.  No way only one company gets a monopoly on a digital payment system like that.

I don't own iAnything, but I also don't like the Google Knows Best attitude they have.  But I use Android products since I can alter the OS as I please.  I run Cyanogenmod on my phone in place of Android OS and also have my tablet rooted.

I'll never give up a real wrist watch for some fancy gadget like watch, though.  That's one idea I'm just not going to get on-board with.

• Like 1

I predict the AppleWatch will be the biggest technology bust of the 21st century.

Maybe. Lots of people said that about the iPad.

Apple did have the Newton, so they're not perfect. We'll have to wait and see. With the cult of Apple being as strong as ever, I say they could put a turd in a white box and people would buy it.

FYI for those of you that still flip your phone open, this topic is not for you.... 

The watch looks interesting.  I think it is only a matter of time before something like the watch can handle all of your basic text/phone stuffs when used with a bluetooth headset.  

I was disappointed not to see the sapphire screens that were rumored.  I would love to have a phone that I didn't need to put a case on and it would survive everyday life.

^^  Agreed about the Sapphire screens and/or warranted water-proof, etc.  That would bring value to the product.  

A friend texted me today and asked if I was watching (because he knows I used to...)   I told him that I miss the Apple that no one (other than creative types) knew about or cared about.  They did very few things very well.   They still have a simple mission statement.  They still essentially do only one thing very well. ... generate revenue  (by continuing to produce data harvesting devices - for which the public pays for the privilage of having their lives mined and molded for the marketplace).

I type this from my MacBook Pro with an iPhone not 3 feet from me.  If it proves to be useful, I may purchase it.  If/when Apple comes up with something that makes life or work better, I would love to know about it, but I have long grown tired of Apple's Tonic-Salesman/MagicMan, over-hyping presentations.

Edited by Peace

Maybe. Lots of people said that about the iPad.

Apple did have the Newton, so they're not perfect. We'll have to wait and see. With the cult of Apple being as strong as ever, I say they could put a turd in a white box and people would buy it.

. But they have the best white boxes on the planet ! :) Edited by Fourtyfive

ok so let me sum up this cultural altering announcement:

Apple released a bigger screen - All the other phone manufacturers did that 7 years ago.

Apple released a smartwatch - Other manufacturers have had these on the market for 2+ years now

Apple released a new awesome payment system - called NFC - has been out for years on a bunch of other manufacturer's phones

I love Mac's but forgive me if I don't seem too impressed with Apple "inventing" these awesome new technologies that have all been around for years and years already.

• Like 7

The difference is that the existing platforms for those thing tend to be disparate and if not difficult to use, then certainly were never mainstream, aside from the growing screens.

Apple doesn't really invent much new stuff. What they do is package up different things together and make them play really well with one another in an interface that's clean, simple, and intuitive. Add in a clever control or two, and it's pure marketable gold. They didn't invent the mouse or the GUI, but they were the first to put them together in a format that was easy to use by people who aren't programmers. They didn't invent the portable MP3 player, but the iPod became the standard by which all others were judged. Why? It was easier to use. They didn't invent the smartphone, but the iPhone is what took that concept to the masses. My parents can use an iPhone. They can also use their iPad mini because *surprise* it works just like their iPhones, which work exactly like every other iPhone and iPad in the world. I can hand my dad my iPhone and he knows how to use it. I can't say that's always true about any 2 android phones/tablets.

Nothing today surprised me. Nothing was a technological breakthrough on its own. But put them all together and the Apple Watch may be the first real wearable that gets widely accepted. We know Google Glass isn't going to be it. The watch and iPhone 6 will certainly be major factors in advancing digital payment methods.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2
I am with Sam1, apple has never impressed me. Their macs were always way too expensive and proprietary, I had to wait forever to install software available on pc.
I got an iPhone when a&tt was about to get rid of unlimited data plans but rooted it almost immediately due to proprietary apps. I upgraded to a Samsung galaxy s3 phone and galaxy 10" tablet, which play great together, and haven't looked back since.
  • Like 1

I don't get the watch really... $350 wrist strap with a screen that has to be paired to a iPhone in my pocket?

I'm not a fan of big phones... but the 6 and 6+ (really a phablet) do look pretty nice... and its nothing to do with the screen size.  Most people who don't understand the details just see the screen size and say "someone else already did that!"  Thats as bad as someone releasing a new semi-auto pistol with a 5" barrel and saying "thats not new, someone already did that!"

Actually read the specs on the phones this morning and they are abysmal. The phones offer connection speeds of up to 150mb/s but no service provider even comes remotely close to that. Complete waste.

They did something like that instead of upgrading the camera which is still an 8mp, which is the same resolution that has been on the two previous phones since 2012... But it's "awesome" because it focuses faster. This phone is like the Windows millennium release for Microsoft lol
  • Admin Team

The payments thing is a big deal in a way that no other manufacturer has been able to pull off, yet.  It will probably be the real "game changer" of this release.

You may or may not see a personal need for it, but it moves credit card security into a true two-factor realm.  Something you have( the phone with the card)  and something you are (fingerprint).  The fact that they're tokenized at the phone and the retailer will never see the number is a big deal in light of all of the recent card breaches.

No system is perfect, but this does move the ball forward.

• Like 4