308 CMT Potential Group Buy?

MacGyver

If I could get serial #107, 417 and 910, I'd definitely be in for all three sets.... without doubt!
Odds of that is slim, so I am a definite maybe for one TGO set.

I would like to get s/n's 98 and 99 if we get that far along as well. If it doesn't get that high, I might have to settle for one set.
  • 5 weeks later...

Sounds pretty cool.
Not really interested in .308 but building a .358 Win AR has been on my to do list for several years.

How about a 338 whisper? I'm still pondering this... I just wish it was based on 308 brass

I think a 250 gr cast by Caster and polished like you did the slugs would be cool... Mark

• Admin Team

How about a 338 whisper? I'm still pondering this... I just wish it was based on 308 brass

I think a 250 gr cast by Caster and polished like you did the slugs would be cool... Mark

I've kind of got a project in the back of my mind to do some subsonic stuff for the .338 Federal - it does use .308Win brass.

I'm not sure what it get's me that my 338 Spectre doesn't - as 250gr at 1040FPS is the same regardless of the parent case.  But, .308 brass offers more space to work with, so in theory you might get a little wider selection of powders.

I've kind of got a project in the back of my mind to do some subsonic stuff for the .338 Federal - it does use .308Win brass.

I'm not sure what it get's me that my 338 Spectre doesn't - as 250gr at 1040FPS is the same regardless of the parent case.  But, .308 brass offers more space to work with, so in theory you might get a little wider selection of powders.

Does that also mean you could select a heavier weight bullet? Not that 250 gr is light but if we are going to push lead towards someone/ something we might as well go all out...

I've always been in the fast and light club but for some reason lately the quiet as a mouse/ hit like a Mack truck equation has occupied my thoughts.

An 8-10" barrel with a can on the end spitting out something around 300gr would be a wonderful tool to solve some of life's vexing problems.
  • Admin Team
In the Spectre, I've shot a fair number of 300 and 325gr. I've just got a bunch of 250gr SMKs. I'm guessing in the .338 Federal you could chuck some heavy stuff pretty well.

I like the Spectre because it suppresses nicely out of a 9mm can. I expect the Federal is going to need a rifle can.
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator

I've been looking at a CMT .308 upper/lower combo myself lately.  I know the last group buy took a lot of work on the part of our own MacGyver as well as Jeff Cross @ CMT so I am not going to let lack of a group buy stop me.  If we do a group buy later, I'll just have to make room in the safe for a second.  ;)

• Like 1
David, I couldn't be more pleased with the 308 set I bought from CMT. It went together very easily and the fit and finish is perfect.

I took a couple friends shooting on New Year's Day and they liked it the best by a wide margin.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...