New Long Range Toy

jphillips63

Just arrived today, a Bat M dual port with a Lilja 1-10" x31" 1.3 dia. The stock is a McMillan MBR and it's chambered in a 300 WM the scope is a NF 12-42 BR model. So far it seems to like 74 grns H-1000 but I'll stretch it out in the morning at 500 yards to verify.
Even at 28# pushing the 230 grn match hybrids, it has a hefty kick.

IMG_20140911_164326_094_zpsjkow8n33.jpg

IMG_20140911_164354_900_zpsu3ns13vb.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
This rifle isn't setup for prone shooting the stock is 3" wide for bench shooting. I'm trying find loads for it now, been testing at 300 yards with inconsistency. This is with the 230 grain hybrid match bullets I'm gonna try the otm hybrids and then the 208 AMAX next

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk Pro

This rifle isn't setup for prone shooting the stock is 3" wide for bench shooting. I'm trying find loads for it now, been testing at 300 yards with inconsistency. This is with the 230 grain hybrid match bullets I'm gonna try the otm hybrids and then the 208 AMAX next

Have you played with this? I'm going down that path with my Grendels. The ultimate result is optimum charge weight. It just gives you a few more tools to bump it in some before you hit the range.

http://www.the-long-family.com/OBT_paper.htm

BTW... GREAT rifle. It's just gotta wind up being a shooter.

Edited by mikegideon
The rifle will shoot it's put the 190 vld bullets in under 2" at 600 yards so now I'm trying stretch it to a mile and finding a heavier bullet to do it with some accuracy.
I'll get there just gonna take some time. I may have to install a brake on it to tame it a bit more those big bullets have some kick to them.

The rifle will shoot it's put the 190 vld bullets in under 2" at 600 yards so now I'm trying stretch it to a mile and finding a heavier bullet to do it with some accuracy.
I'll get there just gonna take some time. I may have to install a brake on it to tame it a bit more those big bullets have some kick to them.

This right here is "real stuff"... That's a great rifle you've got there... Looks ta me like the one holdin it ain't doin bad either... Can't wait to hear about the 1000 yd stuff... When we wuz playin with this sort of stuff years ago, we found that the further the win mag shot with the heavy bullets, the better it shot...

Remember the sissy bag thing... There ain't no shame in usin them... We did... We used a rear rifle bag that wuz about 6 inches square and filled with lead shot... It calmed these "hard kickers" right down...  We used somethin like this without the ears (...which i doubt  would be a problem anyway...)

http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=PRO-N-14&cat=25

By the way, the R. W. Hart guys are good to deal with... I'd like to have one of their long range rests myself; but we dont do enough rifle shootin to warrant one...

leroy

Keep up the good work...

leroy

That looks like a Sinclair front rest. Hard to do better than that. One of these days

It is and honestly its actually not stable enough. I'm gonna pull out my hart 1000 yard rest and see if I can do any better. The Sinclair flexes on me with the center pole extended where the Hart is solid as a rock

There is but in past I've found once the barrel leaves the lathe it's difficult to get it trued back perfectly. Threading and cutting the crown should all be done in one operation with same setup. Not saying it can't be done there's just a higher risk of runout