Local High School Attacked for Prayers

luvmyberetta

Who else has complained except the ACLU?

Irrelevant. No one should have to complain. The state leading a prayer is the problem.

individual led prayer is perfectly ok

How would you like to speak up amd be the sole religious minority in the self described close knit community ? Based on leroy's comment above, you would expect physical harm to come to you.

Irrelevant. No one should have to complain. The state leading a prayer is the problem.

How would you like to speak up amd be the sole religious minority in the self described close knit community ? Based on leroy's comment above, you would expect physical harm to come to you.

Ya might want to think this one over a bit; i don't think that is necessarily true... The "physical harm" thing ain't aimed at those exercising their rights no matter what faith they claim, minority or not; it's aimed at those who would take those rights away by calling these kids and threatening them over exercising their right to express their faith, which you and me both know is against the law...

You exercising your right to individually pray is First Amendment protected speech; no matter who the being (...or deity...) being prayed to is... It's also your right not to pray; that's protected too...

In my younger days I saw first hand what the receiving end of these "threats" is like on a construction job up in kentucky during a labor dispute... I know men who recieved calls in the middle of the nite threatening them and their families...It made grown men afraid; and for damned good reason... Those makin the threats were the real deal... The only way to deal with them was by kicking them around if ya needed to...

Kids should never have to be exposed to the disgraceful actions of a few idiots and jhadists who would demand that everybody see things their way... I see nothing wrong with the thrashing of those who would mistreat kids... Your mileage may vary...

leroy

and if you do believe in something it is fine to force it on others.

Are you talking to our forefathers?

Force it? Surely you jest, do you refuse to use our money? So forcing us to not partake in our beliefs in public is ok since you believe in it. Got it!

I must be missing something then.   I am not sure what money has to do with this discussion.

You claimed  "If you don't believe in something that's fine, don't force it on everyone else. "    And a rational interpretation of that is that you see it as fine to force beliefs on others.

If cheerleaders or anyone else wants to gather and say a prayer I doubt too many people have a problem with it.  When they do it mid field and use the PA system then it  bothers people.   Is it possible one or more of the cheerleaders deep down aren't comfortable praying at midfield?   Do you think if there were any feeling that way that they would voice up their opinion?  Of course they wouldn't.  No kid wants to be singled out.  I doubt many adults want that either. 

Pray all you want.  Just don't ram it down in my ears.

• Like 1

I must be missing something then. I am not sure what money has to do with this discussion.

You claimed "If you don't believe in something that's fine, don't force it on everyone else. " And a rational interpretation of that is that you see it as fine to force beliefs on others.

If cheerleaders or anyone else wants to gather and say a prayer I doubt too many people have a problem with it. When they do it mid field and use the PA system then it bothers people. Is it possible one or more of the cheerleaders deep down aren't comfortable praying at midfield? Do you think if there were any feeling that way that they would voice up their opinion? Of course they wouldn't. No kid wants to be singled out. I doubt many adults want that either.

Pray all you want. Just don't ram it down in my ears.

"In God We Trust" is on our money.
The people that are complaining are traveling atheist groups in the name of a cause. They are making their way around the country to change and threaten as many organizations as they can. The power of unaccountable lawsuits is wonderful.

If there was a cheerleader that wouldn't speak up, the failure isn't payer, it is her upbringing to teach her to stand up for herself.

Of course that leads us to other issues like the school system teaching "man made climate change" and crap like that. I have personally seen al gores book used as education material, WTF is with that. The lessons of the left are to condemn those that don't fall in line with their version of reality. Religion has merely been one of the topics used to demonize people. Edited by Ugly

What tickles me is that non-believers get so upset about a simple prayer. If they don't believe what are they afraid of? No one is forcing them to pray in any form or fashion. What is so wrong in respecting the rights of others? No one should be forced to do anything religious against their will....I firmly believe that. But can't they be quiet for a few seconds...check the sports scores or headlines on their phones or even play one of the stupid on line games?

There is no such thing as a simple prayer when it comes from someone in any position of authority.  When a paid employee of government- the school principal in this case- is the one asking (read ordering) students to pray, the establishment clause is broken because a representative of a government has made his religion of choice the position of their institution.  Even when someone isn't forced to actually pray, they force to partake in the process by simply being there. 

Honestly, if you need a comparison as to how this feels, be in the crowd as a group prayer from a religion other than yours is conducted by someone in control of the event.  Having spent years of my life living in a Muslim country that had an official religion, I know this unease from different angles.  But that part of the world doesn't have an establishment clause, so I had to endure it.  I expect better in America. 

I respect the rights of any individual to pray how they please, or not to pray.  I know religion is a very personal and important aspect of many peoples lives.  But nobody in a position of public office has the right to invoke their religious beliefs in any way during the performance of their duties.  Prayer belongs in places of worship, in the home, in private groups of like believers, but not in the public sphere as directed by a governmental official.

• Like 2

"In God We Trust" is on our money.

"In God We Trust" was put on money in here and there for a while, but it wasn't the official motto of the US until 1956, when it was added to all the money (mostly catching up to the paper money).  We needed God to help set us apart from communism, apparently. 

I wonder how we survived until an act of Congress made it offical... :huh:

• Authorized Vendor

and if you do believe in something it is fine to force it on others.

Really? Get a grip......nobody is forcing anything on anyone. All anyone has to do is put it on ignore for a few seconds to allow those that want a prayer to do so. It's not rocket science for Pete's sake.....I ignore bonehead speech and and anti-religion...and other agendas of the left everyday. Should I be able to silence everything everyone says that I don't agree with? Wouldn't that be wonderful. :rofl:  

This is it for me on this topic....I've found you can't reason with anyone that can't see both sides of the topic and have any respect for others ideas and beliefs. Once again.....nobody is forcing anything on anyone...nobody is making anyone believe of practice anything they choose not to. It's called respect for others....cutting a little slack....giving a guy a break....taking a step back or what ever other phrase you'd care to throw in there.

And no Mike...my comments were not aimed at you so don't take offense....they were just general comments about Godless non-believers in general. I fail to see how letting a few people pray for a few seconds forces anything on anyone. In my mind at least those that believe this way have some greater fear and cannot deal with it.

Have a great day everyone....I'd say I'd pray for all of you but I wouldn't was to offend anyone.

giphy.gif

Really? Get a grip......nobody is forcing anything on anyone. All anyone has to do is put it on ignore for a few seconds to allow those that want a prayer to do so. It's not rocket science for Pete's sake.....I ignore bonehead speech and and anti-religion...and other agendas of the left everyday. Should I be able to silence everything everyone says that I don't agree with? Wouldn't that be wonderful. :rofl:

This is it for me on this topic....I've found you can't reason with anyone that can't see both sides of the topic and have any respect for others ideas and beliefs. Once again.....nobody is forcing anything on anyone...nobody is making anyone believe of practice anything they choose not to. It's called respect for others....cutting a little slack....giving a guy a break....taking a step back or what ever other phrase you'd care to throw in there.

And no Mike...my comments were not aimed at you so don't take offense....they were just general comments about Godless non-believers in general. I fail to see how letting a few people pray for a few seconds forces anything on anyone. In my mind at least those that believe this way have some greater fear and cannot deal with it.

Have a great day everyone....I'd say I'd pray for all of you but I wouldn't was to offend anyone.
giphy.gif

This is the point!
The minority pushes and divides and angers until the majority "go along to get along". This has been going on for so long that the tipping point has been crossed inmo.
Too much infiltration in the gov and every aspect of it.
Personally I feel like me and my country and fellow Americans are being raped by the minority.

I don't fault you GT, that's how they play the game.

As long as those that feel their intolerance is justified stand by their beliefs when cloward piven kicks in, it'll correct itself :) Edited by Ugly
All I can say is that I piece it all together. I know the push has been goin on for @ 100yrs, but it certainly appears it is close to the coup d'état.

Like it or not, one side has been hijacked and uses any cause they can to divide and bring people in to their fight. Whether you know what their real fight is or not. You have become part if their cause.

It is what it is and we will all be dealing with it, no matter where we stand. Edited by Ugly

There are some pretty nutty
Comments being made here. Some of you should read what you wrote slowly and out loud to realize how outlandish they are

Okay, I’ll play.
Read these two comments out loud and then go read the statements of the Cheerleader. No government agency is leading or forcing anything on anyone. Are you saying she is lying?

Bingo
How is this so hard to comprehend

Apparently hard for some.

Matthew 6:5
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Jas 2:18  But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

Okay, I’ll play.
Read these two comments out loud and then go read the statements of the Cheerleader. No government agency is leading or forcing anything on anyone. Are you saying she is lying?

Apparently hard for some.

The principal publicly stated he directed the prayer over the PA. No one is questioning the cheerleaders veracity. The problem here begins and ends with the principal.

If the cheerleaders on their own want to pray - no problem

If the entire stand wants to pray and then do a wave or two - no problem

Its a problem when the school itself gets in on the act.

Simple
  • Like 1

Where are we getting the data that the principal or the school sports announcer "instituted this action (...the prayer...)"...?  I've searched the reports and i've found that Kevin Acres is the announcer, and that Kevin Byrd is the principal....?  The way i read things; Kevin Acres (...the football announcer...) was told not do do a prayer per the instructions of the school system... He didnt... He called for a moment of silence; then the cheerleaders started the prayer...

The school complied with the demand not to "endorse" religion or prayer... The cheerleaders started the prayer...

That, fellow opiners, is student lead prayer... It is, in fact, protected speech under the First Amendment....

Check this out;   http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/09/oneida-cheerleaders-give-a-poke-in-the-eye-to-prayer-ban-3032332.html

Here is another account that says the same thing:  http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/great-cheerleaders-take-bold-stand-football-games-moment-silence/

Here's another one:  http://www.local12.com/news/features/around-the-web/stories/tenn-cheerleaders-defy-prayer-ban-recite-lords-prayer-wkrc.shtml#.VB4HOPldWSo

Here is the obligatory letter sent from the TN ACLU that started all this; http://www.aclu-tn.org/release100413.html

While im on the subject; i lifted this from the Tennessee ACLU website:   http://www.aclu-tn.org/release101911.html

I dont know about you, but it looks ta me like the defenders of liberty at the Tennessee ACLU are doin a bit of pickin and choosin about who's rights they endorse... Somehow, that doesnt suprize me, and it shouldn't surprize you either...  

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 2
Here is the info in the principal being the orchestrator:

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/prepextra/pregame-prayer-is-back-in-oneida_89362831

“We went to the cheerleaders and said ‘would you consider leading the Lord’s Prayer during the moment of silence for anyone that would want to join in?’ It was at their discretion and they organized it.
  • Like 1