An amazing resource on SKS rifles

Dolomite_supafly

I stumbled across this and although I am not an SKS aficionado I do know there are some here. This IS the most comprehensive gathering of pictures the SKS that I have ever seen.

Here is a detailed listing of what is on each of the 46 webpages of information.

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm

And here is page 1.

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-1.htm

• Like 5
  • 5 weeks later...

It's an excellent site to help you figure out just what type and country  your SKS rifle came from.  Most SKS rifle stayed pretty much the same through there production life.  However the Yugoslovian SKS rifles went through a couple of changes and the Chinese SKS rifle had many varients as well as different mfg. changes to speed up production and cut cost. 

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
8 hours ago, Soulja said:

Can anyone tell me, in Tennessee, are you more likely to get approved to buy a shot gun or rifle rather than a handgun?

If you're over 21, it doesn't matter. 

What does this have to do with an SKS thread from 3 years ago?

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

Hey, thanks for resurrecting this thread! 

I went out shooting yesterday, including a Yugo SKS that I bought from a guy a few weeks ago.  He said it has a spring-loaded Murray firing pin, and had some documentation accordingly.

I shot one strip of 10, no problem.

Then halfway through the next clip, got a no-fire.   Ejected that shell, but then couldn't get anything to fire after that.

Upon inspection, none of the ejected no-fires had even a hint of a strike on the primer.

I've searched all over, and I can find lots of discussions about light strikes, but nothing about no-strikes.

Any thoughts, anyone?   And, thank you in advance!

1 minute ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Hey, thanks for resurrecting this thread! 

I went out shooting yesterday, including a Yugo SKS that I bought from a guy a few weeks ago.  He said it has a spring-loaded Murray firing pin, and had some documentation accordingly.

I shot one strip of 10, no problem.

Then halfway through the next clip, got a no-fire.   Ejected that shell, but then couldn't get anything to fire after that.

Upon inspection, none of the ejected no-fires had even a hint of a strike on the primer.

I've searched all over, and I can find lots of discussions about light strikes, but nothing about no-strikes.

Any thoughts, anyone?   And, thank you in advance!

Take the springy thing out and put a proper free-float pin in.  That’s the way they were designed.

9 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Yeah, that's my first instinct, though you'd think the spring would get the pin where it needs to be.  That's what I don't understand. I do have the original pin, so I will try that, and will try to keep it really clean.  Don't wanna get slam-fired!

If you have the original firing pin I highly recommend you put it back in.  If you’re concerned about a slam fire, which is pretty rare, make sure the firing pin channel is free of any dried cosmoline or other such funk.  

Some Hoppe’s and a pipe cleaner will clear it out quickly.

Edited by Garufa

I'm not really seriously concerned about a slam fire, because I can control that anyway, and I think the probability of it is tiny.  I will take your suggestion and put the rifle back in its original condition.  Stay tuned.....may be a few weeks though.  Might even be after the move to TN!    

Thanks, Garufa

What Garufa said. 

Not sure about the light/no strikes either, unless the tip broke off the firing pin.  Some surplus ammo can have pretty hard primers, so light strikes could look like no strikes. 

Slam fire is pretty unlikely, but there's no way you could control it if you weren't expecting it. The 3rd or 4th round would be at least a foot up.  Any rounds after that will be way off target.  It'll empty the 10 round magazine in just over a second.  

• 2 months later...

As good As that site is there are so many different stamps, on some like mine that you'll never know the import year or factory.

My Chinese has bayonet stubs that look to be factory ground. The stamp is similar but not like any shown on that site.

To be compliant it has to be original or have so many US parts. Missing the bayonet is why I tried to research it.

Although I've never heard anybody getting in trouble over a non complient SKS.

• 2 years later...

Wow! I just got done digesting the trigger group section and finally I get to see the differences in manufacturing of the SKS trigger groups throughout all the countries and different timelines. It’s pretty astonishing how the tolerances vary immensely from Chinese trigger groups and the Russian ones. Really really cool info. Chinese sks is the only one I don’t own so it’s interesting to see all the differences and quality variances in manufacturing. Cheers y’all 

On 10/24/2020 at 5:13 PM, SKSguru said:

Why is this not on SKSBoards!! This is why I joined this site - YOU GUYS ARE TRUE BELIEVERS! I’ve been looking for this type of intensive image comparison for a long time! 

If it's not, you're on the wrong SKS sites.  The website referenced by the OP has been around forever.  I'm not into SKS's, but even I have known about it for ages ...

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/21/2014 at 3:47 PM, Dolomite_supafly said:

I stumbled across this and although I am not an SKS aficionado I do know there are some here. This IS the most comprehensive gathering of pictures the SKS that I have ever seen.

Here is a detailed listing of what is on each of the 46 webpages of information.

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm

And here is page 1.

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-1.htm

Yep , there is also couple site for chinese sks too. Should be top list of google search

• 4 weeks later...

Love the Yooper site. Saved on my phone for quick access while out poking around. I also keep this one too. The best guide I have found for looking at surpluss 7.62x39 headstamps:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/762x39_cartridge.html

Us old guys aren't always smart, we just know where to find sh*t, LOL

As for up above, I never understood why people have to take one of the most robust and reliable semi-auto rifle designs ever mass produced and mess with it. The only unreliable SKS's I have ever encountered were ones with aftermarket "upgrades" in them.

Did grab a really nice Chinese Public Security (secret police) SKS still in the cosmoline at a tiny little garage FFL guy in KY last year, $350 OTD.

Some day I will locate my grail Romanian SKS though...

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a Norinco 'Paratrooper' with the 16.5 barrel with no bayonet attachments.

It's a dependable, rugged truck gun that I enjoy shooting as much as my AKs. I put peep sights on it 20 years ago and it runs like a chicken chasing Junebugs.

I agree that Bubba'd SKSs are laughable and subject to great embarrassment for the owner.

Thanks for the list to all the information.