My wife and I almost died today, twice

Last week I dropped off an AK to be engraved. The engraver called yesterday and said to come out today and pick it up. I set up the time of 1pm based on the fact I was picking up my new gun at 11:30. I could have just as easily went to the engraver first. The engraver is In Range and lives on Eagle View drive.

Last week I ordered an AK. It was delivered yesterday so I contacted the FFL and he said to come out between 11:30 and 1pm. I decided to go to the transfer FFL at first 11:30 am rather than the engraver. While I was there the engraver called at 11:47 and said not to come out today because it was a mess at his neighbors.

It turns out the neighbor of the engraver was shot and killed by her estranged husband in her driveway at about 11:15 am. That driveway was less than 20 feet from where we park at the engraver.

http://www.wate.com/story/26616924/shooting-reported-in-kodak-subdivision

And on the way to pick up my AK we were on Oak Ridge highway when someone crossed the center line, doing in excess of 70 mph, and came completely into our lane. My wife exited the roadway trying to get away from the oncoming car and right at the last minute my wife was able to dodge it by going off the road. After that I got sick and both of us had the shakes for the next 20-30 minutes. I have been in close calls before and this is the closest I have ever come to a head on collision. Literally there was a few feet between him and us as we sat on the edge of the road with no where else to go.

What is even more disturbing is if we had decided to pick up the transfer at 12:30, rather than 11:30, we would have probably went to pick up my gun from the engraver at 11:00 and been 20 feet away from the driveway where the murder took place.

What is even more disturbing is I contacted the transfer FFL at 11:16, moments before we almost got into the head on, and at that same exact time the calls started coming in regarding the lady getting killed in the drive way.

So we dodged the head on and dodged a potential shooter AT THE EXACT SAME TIME. Had we went to the engraver we might have gotten killed but because we didn't the head on almost killed us instead. I am the blue.

IMG_1123_zps62697d77.png

So two places would could have been could have resulted in our deaths. Either we are really, really lucky or someone really, really hates us.

Sorry if I am rambling or not making any sense because my mind is a wreck right now thinking of what could have been today, not once but twice.

Sounds like "someone" scheduled our untimely death for 11:15 today. It is odd to think we could have been killed at the same time regardless of where we were had my wife not been paying attention.

BTW, we bought $30 worth of lottery tickets, we never do, and currently trying to figure out how to cover ourselves in bubble wrap AND AR500 steel plate.

• Like 7

This is what happens when you play with guns.  :P

Regardless of the tragic shooting out there in Kodak in weather like this you've really got to be alert when driving.  There is a direct correlation between the beautiful weather we've been having and absolute lunacy on the roads.  The past couple of days I've seen an exponential increase in idiocy behind the wheel.

Powerball tickets were a great idea today.

Glad y'all made it home.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

Maybe had you been at the engraver you may have saved a life instead ?....Food for thought but I know you had something on you and have to be more proficient with your firearm than some random nobody maybe you would've heard the hollering looked over and saw a gun waiving around and been able to save a life .....So maybe it would've worked out different . as for the Car. vehicles are so deadly its crazy, but your wife seems to have good sit. awareness and saved your Life :)

lotta folks don't have good awareness on the road .and maybe Karma threw these test at you knowing you would pass rather than someone else who may have been killed :) ....But I am a glass is half full kinda guy, or at least try to be as often as  possible 

Edited by plank white

Just glad to hear you and your lady are ok and your able to sit here and tell us about your day. Better than reading from you two than reading about you two.................jmho                   good luck with lottery. I had a choice of buying a 380 S&W Body guard or lottery tickets and I went with the sure thing.............. :up:

This is what happens when you play with guns.  :P

Regardless of the tragic shooting out there in Kodak in weather like this you've really got to be alert when driving.  There is a direct correlation between the beautiful weather we've been having and absolute lunacy on the roads.  The past couple of days I've seen an exponential increase in idiocy behind the wheel.

Powerball tickets were a great idea today.

Glad y'all made it home.

Odd you saying that.I told Gordon thee are a bunch of idiots on the road today..No one was staying in their lanes..

Glad you are OK.

I drive 60K a year and have seen some crazy ****. As much as I drive, I think to myself everyday, it's still the most dangerous thing I do.

I work in the road for a living. You wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen. :eek:

Few people realize that a car is the most dangerous thing they'll ever touch.

Dolomite, I'm glad you and your wife made it through the day's events unscathed.

Edited by gregintenn

I work in the road for a living. You wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen. :eek:

Few people realize that a car is the most dangerous thing they'll ever touch.

Dolomite, I'm glad you and your wife made it through the day's events unscathed.

I don't know Greg, I think it is a toss up between their car and their cell phone because to many people think they can do both at the same time. I think they need to make it where your car won't start if your cell phone is on. Yea, I have a cell phone and I have yet to ever answer it with my vehicle moving. That is what my voice mail is for......................jmho  And i know people are going to say they have touch free calling in new cars but that does not take away the concentration factor..............jmho