Subdivision hunting?

I have the same thing here in Clarksville, and though it may be legal you may want to see what the neighbors think about that. Most of TN is pro hunting but remember that if the deer happens to get into the neighbor's property you need their permission to retrieve. And they may either not give it or not want to have bambi die in front of their kids.

Of course, they may be tired of having the deer messing with their gardens and really enjoy venison.

I agree. Bow hunting should be no issue with permission.

Ever drug a dead deer out of *another* neighbor's yard?  I bet it could get dicey with a hysterical housewife in robe & slippers screaming while on a cell-phone with po-po about a bloody deer in her driveway.  (not that I wouldn't hunt)

• Like 3

Ever drug a dead deer out of *another* neighbor's yard? I bet it could get dicey with a hysterical housewife in robe & slippers screaming while on a cell-phone with po-po about a bloody deer in her driveway. (not that I wouldn't hunt)

Good point. Though with bow hunting there will be no noise to alert the neighbors. Better make sure you're a good shot.
I would suggest that if your friend wants to keep any type of decent relationship with his neighbors that you don't hunt deer in a subdivision. There are easy ways to deter deer from eating his flowers. an acre is very little area, bow or not. My advice, stick to the woods if you want to deer hunt.

I go back to, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. This is a very bad idea in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 4

I have a buddy going through this right now and is looking for someone to kill the deer around his house that are eating his garden every year and cannot have flower beds. He did reach out to all the neighbors that live in the court out by the lake and all of them are in agreement the deer need to go because no one in the circle can have gardens or flower beds. I have not spoke to him recently but I did try and hook him up with one of the deer hunters that lives fairly close from here on TGO but have not heard back from either one of them but my buddy said he will let a hunter use his deck because the deer are not afraid and will walk right up to the garden while he is on the deck.........If I were you Sandman I would get the guy to talk with his neighbors because they are probably going through the same issues...............jmho  

Shoot em.

Use a good broadhead with lots of cutting edge and take sure shots to try and help prevent blood trailing to a neighbors land. Better yet, talk to the bordering neighbors and get their thoughts on if the deer are a problem - start the talk gently, ask if their flowers, etc are being eaten and then mention wish the deer could be thinned out, don't jump straight to hunting them, but after talking for a while you may be able to get permission to hunt their land or at least trail across it.

I don't hunt in my subdivision but have considered talking to the land owner behind us, his strip of woods is a funnel for deer coming into the field to browse or eat on people's flowers and stuff. But I do hang deer in my garage and skin them within sight of several neighbors and never a complaint.

Being a Volunteer With the USFWS (United States Fish and Wildlife Service), Why would you want to shoot a deer in a Sub division? What kind of image do you think you would leave with his/your neighbor if that deer dropped in someone else's yard. Think long and hard about this! What image would you leave with the community? I have never seen a deer drop "where he stood" when hit with an arrow. You might be opening yourself up for a whole bunch of crap. Don't do it!

Dave

Edited by DaveS

Shoot em.

Use a good broadhead with lots of cutting edge and take sure shots to try and help prevent blood trailing to a neighbors land. Better yet, talk to the bordering neighbors and get their thoughts on if the deer are a problem - start the talk gently, ask if their flowers, etc are being eaten and then mention wish the deer could be thinned out, don't jump straight to hunting them, but after talking for a while you may be able to get permission to hunt their land or at least trail across it.

I don't hunt in my subdivision but have considered talking to the land owner behind us, his strip of woods is a funnel for deer coming into the field to browse or eat on people's flowers and stuff. But I do hang deer in my garage and skin them within sight of several neighbors and never a complaint.

That's not good advice for someone living in a sub-division. Any and every deer shot with a broadhead has to be blood trailed. Any other ideas ? Apparently you aren't very experienced at bow hunting....just saying.

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2
They have to be trailed?! Dang I always just went home if they didn't drop. /s

Typical deer isn't going to run across an acre lot with both lungs deflated.
New, sharp broad heads with wide cutting diameter put in the right spot and you shouldn't have to trail very far.

My average trail is 30 yards. Sure the stats say they can run over 100 yards but how often does that happen? Rely on your equipment and skills and if one runs into the neighboring lot no big deal since you have already spoken to the land owner.

They have to be trailed?! Dang I always just went home if they didn't drop. /s

Typical deer isn't going to run across an acre lot with both lungs deflated.
New, sharp broad heads with wide cutting diameter put in the right spot and you shouldn't have to trail very far.

My average trail is 30 yards. Sure the stats say they can run over 100 yards but how often does that happen? Rely on your equipment and skills and if one runs into the neighboring lot no big deal since you have already spoken to the land owner.

I am a very experienced bow hunter, and I have hit deer in the heart and even double lunged them, and had to blood trail them up to 200 yards. What is "typical" to the average hunter? Just saying. Shoot a deer in a sub division, it dies in someone else's yard....you give me a bad name as a "hunter"...think it out....

Dave

I am a very experienced bow hunter, and I have hit deer in the heart and even double lunged them, and had to blood trail them up to 200 yards. What is "typical" to the average hunter? Just saying. Shoot a deer in a sub division, it dies in someone else's yard....you give me a bad name as a "hunter"...think it out....

Dave

But it would be a heck of a story to tell on TGO, especially if he also Open Carried a 1911 & a oversized Bowie. Extra points for a Mom's Demand t-shirt.

• Like 3
Before you all think im just gonna go cowboy on my neighbors property, they are having a neighborhood meeting this week and the problem with the deer and how to handle it. My friend will mention he had a hunting buddy (me) and gauge everyone's views about it. If the entire neighborhood doesn't agree with this strategy theb I would never do it.
Used to live out in Lavergne had 26 acre track behind the house would bring my friend who is wheelchair bound over and set him up on the back deck with his cross bow and let him have at it he would shoot I would track was kind of fun droping deer like the duck men but like everyone has already said talk to the locals first and get there blessings

If ALL the neighbors are good to go with this method of controlling the problem then I see no legal nor ethical issue with it. I'm not sure that I would consider it hunting so much as damage/population control. I'm thinking of it the same as I do when folks go on a hog killing spree when they overpopulate and start moving into subdivisions. Good luck getting all to agree on one solution because while you can't count on every person in the neighborhood being on board with this method you can count on the deer running or staggering over into the yard of the person that was against the method... That is if your luck is anything like mine. I shot a doe with my blackout last year and every organ in her looked like it had been run through a blender. She still managed to scramble close to 3/4 of a mile if not more and i'm talking about straight up and down hills and bluffs. It was a "good' shot yet she still ran so the whole use good equipment and make a good shot thought isn't always the case. Good luck in your decision whichever you decide.

Back near my home town across the Ohio river there is a town called Marietta. They had such a bad deer population in the residential downtown area that they sold bow permits. Of course this was sanctioned by the city but it can work. But it only takes one freak out to have a bad experience.

If you get the go ahead...I'd do it.
There's a 3 acre vacant lot across the street from me. I've been planning to do this myself just haven't had the time.
There's about an acre of it fenced in, remnants of a horse pasture. My plan is to cut some extremely narrow entrances to the field so they can mosey in but when they get a crossbow bolt through the lungs, getting out could possibly be more difficult. Not that I'm fool enough to believe any fence ever made can keep a deer in, but the fence is surrounded on 3 sides with some very dense thickets that would make passage very difficult for a deer with a sucking chest wound.
I've sown part of the field with red clover and sling a little corn around in the spring and summer. I need to get me a salt block buried in there too.
It's more so "Times are Tuff" plan but I've seen some rather nice deer right here in town. Sticking a broadhead into one of them is very tempting. Edited by Caster
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...