Welp...It is now here folks...ebola

Someotherguy

He's not infected with ebola, because according to OS, contracting ebola is more complicated that solving a rubik's cube on LSD while handcuffed.

We keep hearing "it's not contagious, it's not airborne, it's extremely difficult to contract it and can only be done by sharing body fluids"  but they won't be specific.. Does body fluids mean blood only, mucus, saliva, tears, sweat... wtf does it mean already?  Because way too many people are contracting this #### for them to say it's only as contagious as HIV.

Gimme a break, way overstated and you know it. Probably in close contact with symptomatic person, at least some of those factors you mention would likely be transmissive.

We have 10-15 cases of bubonic plague per year in US also, and unlike Ebola, it can indeed be airborne spread when moves to pneumonic phase. But due to overall decent health care system of treatment, isolation, and contact investigation, it never becomes significant.

Seasonal flu kills many thousands of folks per year in US too.

Though this is is indeed apparently the widest outbreak of any of the Ebola strains in history,  the nature of transmission means it will never be a pandemic if it keeps behaving as it has in the same stable way since it's discovery in the 70's.

Seems to me this enterovirus thing that seems to be mutating rapidly to causing paralysis is much more worrisome threat here. Ebola is sort of like shark attacks, gets all the press out of all proportion to threat to average person.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

We would never be able to prevent people from travelling, even if this goes viral. And those who are sick would refuse to allow themselves to be quarantined voluntarily even if it is in the best interest of the country.

Americans are so spoiled that the first time they cannot fly, or travel, to where they want to go they will sue or riot. Americas are so self centered and spoiled the vast majority would NOT do what is right for the country if it inconveniences them. The country, as a whole, has become a group of people who believe they are entitled to anything they want even if it belongs to someone else.

Ebola is going to spread. The reason is people are nasty and it seems like it is a relatively recent phenomenon. As anyone who has ever been in a public restroom can attest there are people who come in, use the restroom, and then leave without washing up. Then those same people go touch all kinds of things you might come in contact with. One of the nastiest places we all go to is the gun shows. Not only do we see but we also smell those nasty people and they are touching everything as well as rubbing up against you in the isles as they try to squeeze by. Imagine how many times that cool looking gun at the last gun show was touched by nasty people before you and how many of those who touched it actually washed their hands before leaving the restroom. Or how much "digging" the person, who used that shopping cart last, did before you got it. Another big clue is when you consider how much fecal matter is on the average dollar bill.

• Like 1

Gimme a break, way overstated and you know it. Probably in close contact with symptomatic person, at least some of those factors you mention would likely be transmissive.

We have 10-15 cases of bubonic plague per year in US also, and unlike Ebola, it can indeed be airborne spread when moves to pneumonic phase. But due to overall decent health care system of treatment, isolation, and contact investigation, it never becomes significant.

Seasonal flu kills many thousands of folks per year in US too.

Though this is is indeed apparently the widest outbreak of any of the Ebola strains in history,  the nature of transmission means it will never be a pandemic if it keeps behaving as it has in the same stable way since it's discovery in the 70's.

Seems to me this enterovirus thing that seems to be mutating rapidly to causing paralysis is much more worrisome threat here. Ebola is sort of like shark attacks, gets all the press out of all proportion to threat to average person.

- OS

Here's the graphic showing the explosiveness of this disease. (posted in this week's CDC MMWR)

m63e0930a1f1.gif

When is the last time you've seen confirmed bubonic plague cases shoot up 700% in 60 days?  This is some real stuff that if it isn't squashed soon, will be having an impact on our own lives.  And remember when you see that, those are only the confirmed cases.  I won't speculate on future numbers, but some of the reports are anywhere from 550,000 to a worst case scenario of 1.4 million by January (according to the CDC)... And at a 50% survival rate, well, that's not a good thing if you're on the receiving end.

Here's the graphic showing the explosiveness of this disease. (posted in this week's CDC MMWR)

m63e0930a1f1.gif

When is the last time you've seen confirmed bubonic plague cases shoot up 700% in 60 days?  ....

All relative, you know. We sometimes have 20,000 deaths or more in 60 days here,just from influenza, and the curve on that is way more drastic.

There are way too many of us, and the herd will naturally be thinned at some point, but Ebola won't be the agent, in current form it's just not efficient enough. There are lots of more common diseases that are more effective en masse, and all it takes is economic failure to point that health and sanitary services break down to let them again have at it.  Which is actually closer to status quo on those countries being pervaded by Ebola now, and hence the reason it can spread there so well.

But sure, some new strain of something could arise to be a world changer. Maybe Ebola becomes airborne and even more infectious. But what much more likely is a strain of influenza or even the common cold, which picks up the immunodeficient aspect ala HIV -- that could be a Doomsday Bug.

- OS

Lighten up bersa... It was an attempt at humor... It musta not worked on you...

leroy

My bad and had my mind in one place while typing in another and I should know better then to do that these days cause it will turn out like this when i let it happen............sorry buddy

• Like 1

Ebola is going to spread. The reason is people are nasty and it seems like it is a relatively recent phenomenon. As anyone who has ever been in a public restroom can attest there are people who come in, use the restroom, and then leave without washing up. Then those same people go touch all kinds of things you might come in contact with. One of the nastiest places we all go to is the gun shows. Not only do we see but we also smell those nasty people and they are touching everything as well as rubbing up against you in the isles as they try to squeeze by. Imagine how many times that cool looking gun at the last gun show was touched by nasty people before you and how many of those who touched it actually washed their hands before leaving the restroom. Or how much "digging" the person, who used that shopping cart last, did before you got it. Another big clue is when you consider how much fecal matter is on the average dollar bill.

Though I am careful about drinking possibly contaminated water/substances or knowingly coming into contact with known diseases I am of the mind that we are overly using antibacterial soaps and hand cleaners and setting ourselves up for a pandemic we will have no natural defense for. I think some of these germs are actually good for us, specially when young so we can build up antibodies to protect against worse germs.
  • Like 1

I have not read any of this thread yet.  Gonna save it for when I have time.

This stuff is scary.

I don't want our survivor's to read about the Ebola Outbreak of 2015 in their history books like I read about the black plague in some history class of mine.

• Like 1

I have not read any of this thread yet.  Gonna save it for when I have time.

This stuff is scary.

I don't want our survivor's to read about the Ebola Outbreak of 2015 in their history books like I read about the black plague in some history class of mine.

Whiskey kills it. You will be fine :)

• Like 2

m63e0930a1f1.gif

When is the last time you've seen confirmed bubonic plague cases shoot up 700% in 60 days? This is some real stuff that if it isn't squashed soon, will be having an impact on our own lives. And remember when you see that, those are only the confirmed cases. I won't speculate on future numbers, but some of the reports are anywhere from 550,000 to a worst case scenario of 1.4 million by January (according to the CDC)... And at a 50% survival rate, well, that's not a good thing if you're on the receiving end.

It's apples and oranges to compare an outbreak such as this in Africa to an outbreak in the states. They're still using sex with virgins as a cure for AIDS. They have no system in place to educate the population on measures to take to prevent spread or an effective way to quarantine people. You can't look at this outbreak 2 dimensionally. The reason it has spread so rapidly is not due to how infectious it is; it's due to how ignorant the population is where the outbreak occurs.

Nonetheless, I have babies too, so this stuff scares the crap out of me. I'm already losing sleep over this enterovirus nonsense, and am doing my best to balance my sanity against the gloomy news reports. Undoubtedly, this won't be the last case of Ebola that we see in the US, but a lot of things would need to happen for it to break out like it did in Africa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's apples and oranges to compare an outbreak such as this in Africa to an outbreak in the states. They're still using sex with virgins as a cure for AIDS. They have no system in place to educate the population on measures to take to prevent spread or an effective way to quarantine people. You can't look at this outbreak 2 dimensionally. The reason it has spread so rapidly is not due to how infectious it is; it's due to how ignorant the population is where the outbreak occurs.

Nonetheless, I have babies too, so this stuff scares the crap out of me. I'm already losing sleep over this enterovirus nonsense, and am doing my best to balance my sanity against the gloomy news reports. Undoubtedly, this won't be the last case of Ebola that we see in the US, but a lot of things would need to happen for it to break out like it did in Africa.

This^^^

Plus think about their general living conditions. They're exposure to bodily fluids is 10 times what a developed country's is regardless of how nasty people are. Riding with dead bodies in cars to transport them, very little clean water to wash. Definitely no cleansing products.

I'd expect the doctors and missionary who required treatment recently had taken measures to prevent exposure to Ebola. 

I'd expect the doctors and missionary who required treatment recently had taken measures to prevent exposure to Ebola.

This is the part that concerns me the number of doctors and nurses who were supposedly using the proper precautions and still got it. Also heard an interview on the a talk show where the expert stated it was more infectious this time around but less deadly. Also she stated the official death toll is only 25-50% of the actual deaths.this strain of Ebola probably is not the doomsday bug but it is very nasty and pretty good at killing people.