We are getting a dog!!! Where to train and which one??

Ladyhay

After spending several years traveling about our children are starting school in August and we will finally be able to get a puppy ( maybe an older puppy)!! We are very excited!!

My husband travels weeks and months at a time so the main attributes required: watch dog/intimidator, trainable- prefer a formal school, good with small children.
Bonus for one that will hang around outside and enjoy playing with them!
Outside time w us daily but an indoor dog mostly I would think.

First thoughts are for a German Shepherd bc of past excellent experiences with them. But how do they do indoors?

Anyone have any thoughts or insights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have an Australian Shepherd. She is just the greatest dog. She is excellent with children and very protective of us and the property, we have 10 acres of land. We got her as a puppy and she is now 11 years old. 

Anytime we are outside she is right there with us playing and also protecting. She stays outside mostly and is very active most of the day. She comes in sometimes during the winter, she gets along with our indoor cats just fine. We have never formally trained her but I have worked with her with simple things like sit, lay down, rollover, handshake, etc. and she picks right up on it. I saw her kill a raccoon in our driveway because it came into her territory. She is very friendly with people but I am sure if someone was attacking one of us, especially the children, she would go at it with them.

Read up on the breed; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Shepherd. 

May not be exactly what you were thinking of but something to consider. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

A German Shepherd would be a fine choice. So would a Labrador Retriever. I would recommend a female. Males are usually good with children as well, but a female seems to have that motherly instict to take care of them.

I see no need to have an intelligent dog formally trained. Spend time with it, and it'll try to do what it thinks will please you. It'll likely train you a bit as well.

We have a Lab. He is part of the family. I'm on my on if trouble strikes, but although he's gentle as a lamb, I have no doubt he'd do everything possible to protect my wife and kids.

• Like 1
Are you getting from a rescue or a shelter? Spend some time and read up on the breed which you think you may want, my sister had an APBT that became too much for her because she was not active enough and the dog had too much energy as an indoor dog. Boo has been living with the family for almost three years and we've had no problem except for the occasional chewed slippers or shoe - mainly in the winter when we can't take him for his hikes/runs. Also the proper care of the dog is a factor. I've had several friends talk about wanting a dog like mine and when I let them know the general requirement they end up getting breeds that fit in a purse. I honestly can't say that I've ever been around a dog that I never liked so as long as the dog fits your lifestyle, hobbies and time you are able to devote to it you'll be fine.

(Last three vehicles has been a hatchback, wagon and SUV so there would be room for my dog. No more sports car.....)

We have a female Lab mix. She is sharp as a tack, and frankly I have run out of tricks to teach her. She has never received formal training. She learned all of her commands by voice and hand signal, and she will perform all by either independently. 

She is not vicious, but she will bark and let you know what is up.

Bandit is an indoor dog, and she will lay on the couch or bed and cuddle up and sleep with my and the daughter. She and the wife get along, but she is not as close as she is with the rest of the family.

Any dog can be a good dog, but look for qualities that match your family. A highly independent dog might not be best for a first time family, working dogs will often be bored, or attempt to establish dominance outside of what the humans desire. Also make sure your family's activities match the dog. If you sit and watch a lot of television, a dog that requires a lot of running and playing might wind up being very frustrating.

I couldn't imagine life without her. But I am sure my cat could.

There are several breeds that will fit your requirements however that doesn't mean they will all fit your lifestyle. Most dogs are good with kids if that is the environment they are raised in.
My recommendation is to read up on several breeds and talk to many breeders. Regardless of the breed the breeder will make all of the difference. The better the breeder the better the dog.

Training is a must. Most dogs in shelters are there due to behavioral issues. Owners taking the time to train the dog would have kept them from being put down.

Regardless of the breed the breeder will make all of the difference. The better the breeder the better the dog.

I'll have to disagree with this. Some of the best dogs I've had were nothing more than mutts.

However you decide to go about it, please remember these two things:

1) Buying a dog is like having a child. Getting him home is just the beginning of the financial obligation a dog requires.

2) Puppies chew stuff up! Live with it. They'll grow out of it sooner or later.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

We recently got a Boxer (our first) and she has turned out to be a great dog. She loves our grandkids and the neighbor kids, and joins right in when they are playing tag. But when a stranger comes near, she turns into scary-dog. She loves being with her people, is very gentle and loving with us, and is eager to please us. 

The rescue we got her from, said she was a runner, and sure enough, a friend left the gate open one day and it took forever to get her back home. I bought a training collar, and it only took about two sessions working with her, now she never wanders more than 20 yards.

They are a very playful breed and do need some room to run.

Dobermans have been the best dogs I've had. They are extremely smart which makes then very easy to train. Mine are currently in a training program through Petco. Prior to owning the two that I have now, every dog I've had wasn't very loyal (i.e. would run out of the gate when it was opened and make you chase them around), but the dobermans have been the complete opposite. No matter what you decide, make sure you have an insurance company that won't drop you for having a large breed such as a German Shepherd.
  • Like 2
We got a (British /American ) yellow lab. Excellent dog all the way around exempt he sheds like crazy. Can't count how many vacuum cleaners we killed.
I also am found to boxers and German Shepards.

As far as training we knew he was going to be a big dog (105lbs) so he had to have proper training. I have been to the weekend training programs at petsmart with past dogs and it never advanced past the sit command. We found Bear Creek Kennels in Columbia. Trish use to be a judge for the dog shows. She has a training program where she takes a few dogs at a time. They actually stay with her for a few months. She takes out to her horse training facility and she works with them. We would go out on the weekends and see the dog and she would train us how to command the dog. When it was over the dog was awesome! Sit, stay, down, heel, etc. He would not jump on people. Plus he was trained around horses. Dog can take off running and I can sit him on command. Hold him at a sit toss the freebie and he will hold until I release him.

She also has the weekend only classes in the horse arena.

That was 4 years ago and we still have to work with him to keep him sharp but overall it was worth it.
  • Like 2

I have had Dobermans, Shepard’s, Boxers and Samoyeds. All have been great dogs.
So here are some thoughts..

As far as guard dogs or the “intimidation” factor; burglars will pass on most houses with large dogs making noise. Home invaders don’t care what kind of dog you have they will be prepared for that when they come through the door, a dog might slow them down for a second, but your protection will be up to you.

All my Doberman had to do to be intimidating was show up. That’s good and bad. Good that people that came around the house knew he was there, bad that people were afraid of him.

Any dog big or small will alert you when something is going on; best security system ever.

Hair… When I had a Samoyed everything I owned had white dog hair in it or on it. Dobermans and Boxers aren’t as bad.

Liability and responsibility. You are responsible and liable for the actions of your dog…. Period. Unless someone is breaking into your home or attacking you and your dog bites them; you have problems. If you have a large dog you need a fenced yard that can contain them.

Training. You have the right idea in getting training. You need to do it immediately with a new puppy. Dogs are pack animals and they have to know you are the leader. All good trainers will do is teach you how to train your dog; they won’t train it for you. It takes time and work at home.

Socialization. Your dog needs to be around other people and dogs. Start this when they are very young. Take them out and about with you.
If you love your dog and take care of it, its love for you and your children will be unconditional; this is truly a gift.

Good luck with your search.

Harleycellphonewallpaer1_zpsb3ee9970.jpg

• Like 2

We got a (British /American ) yellow lab. Excellent dog all the way around exempt he sheds like crazy. Can't count how many vacuum cleaners we killed.
I also am found to boxers and German Shepards.

As far as training we knew he was going to be a big dog (105lbs) so he had to have proper training. I have been to the weekend training programs at petsmart with past dogs and it never advanced past the sit command. We found Bear Creek Kennels in Columbia. Trish use to be a judge for the dog shows. She has a training program where she takes a few dogs at a time. They actually stay with her for a few months. She takes out to her horse training facility and she works with them. We would go out on the weekends and see the dog and she would train us how to command the dog. When it was over the dog was awesome! Sit, stay, down, heel, etc. He would not jump on people. Plus he was trained around horses. Dog can take off running and I can sit him on command. Hold him at a sit toss the freebie and he will hold until I release him.

She also has the weekend only classes in the horse arena.

That was 4 years ago and we still have to work with him to keep him sharp but overall it was worth it.

Maybe it is because I have handled all of the training for my dog, or maybe because I grew up training and raising dogs, but the idea of sending my dog off to boarding school to be raised/trained just doesn't sit well with me. Most dog misbehavior can be traced right back to the master. If the master can't control the dog, all the training in the world won't make a difference. My dog has been trained in the home and can perform all of those commands and more. Just from putting the effort in. Dog naturally like to please the pack leader. It is their nature. 

From the age of a pup the dog has to be imprinted with his family and know his role among the pack. Shipping a dog off doesn't really reinforce that.

That is just my opinion, and I could be mistaken. But a dog is a family member. I wouldn't ship my daughter off for a few years to be raised either.

A training facility or camp that works with both the dog and the master/owner/family would be ideal, as it trains everyone on what is expected. Not just the dog.

I am also of the idea that I don't want my dog taking commands from strangers. I had some smart assed kid working at Petsmart the other day try to tell my dog to 'sit' so he could give her a treat. He got rather upset when I told him to buzz off and not give my dog commands. I don't care. I am her alpha. 

Edited by Murgatroy
DaveTN offered some very good advice!

I'll 2nd the socialization, especially if you are considering a typical power breed. I'm a little biased towards GSD, as you can tell from my avatar. :). The largest two issues we had with our last Shepherd (an adult rescue)....
1. We exposed her to a group of people too soon. A very loud, non-dog person approached her very quickly and threw her hand out to pet her. The dog was backed into a corner basically. She tried to shrink back. As the lady finally realized the dog was timid she turned as quick to back off and the dog responded with a nip in the posterior. Bad, bad, bad move on our part, not the dog. No harm, no foul, and we all learned a lesson. The key again is to socialize any dog that may be around strangers, and be aware that fear can motivate a non-aggressive dog to bite.

2. Be aware of the level of play drive on certain types of dogs. Our shepherd absolutely had to run, chase, wrestle....every day. ....sometimes multiple times a day. If not that natural energy can turn very negative on you! :).

We lost both of our dogs in the last year. They were both 13 years old. My wife and I decided to take the summer and fall off so we could travel and camp more freely. After next week I've given the green light to start looking for a new family member. Our 5 year old is another factor.

As for peace of mind.... When we brought our daughter home from the hospital I was a little nervous how the dogs would react. It was amazing how they responded and we never had an issue. Both dogs allowed our daughter to pull tails and ears and waller all over them. For months after we brought her home the dog in my avatar would curl up in front of our daughters door when she was sleeping. Until last January a night didn't pass that someone would have to pass this dog to enter our house or to get to my daughters door. Better than any alarm siren in my book. After losing our dog, it felt strange going to bed knowing that she wasn't watching over us at night.

Good luck in your search!

Get a dachshund. Such lovable little bastards! I had dobermans and dachshunds growing up. And to this day, my partner in crime will be a dachshund. Great family pet, very loyal and they cherish affection. They are diggers tho, and they like to roam.  And if you think about it, they are "fun" sized dobermans. Just a LOT shorter. 

I'm partial to mutts because I get to see the same problems over and over in the same pure breed dogs.  Name any breed and I can give you a list of common problems.  Mutts can still get the same problems because their genes come from other breeds, but they have more genetic diversity, and thus less frequently.

My family has always loved Golden Retrievers, but so many die of cancer too early.

• Like 1
I love me some Goldens. I have had Labradors all my life and everyone has been completely different. All were very loyal, smart, great with kids, and had some the meanest barks imaginable. The only female had to go live with my dad in the country because she would bite any adult stranger. My current black lab suffers separation anxiety and hoards any shoes or clothes left out to his bed but does not chew on them. He growls and foams out the month when I say "WHAT". I think he would bite but it may take a lot.

I'll have to disagree with this. Some of the best dogs I've had were nothing more than mutts.

However you decide to go about it, please remember these two things:

1) Buying a dog is like having a child. Getting him home is just the beginning of the financial obligation a dog requires.

2) Puppies chew stuff up! Live with it. They'll grow out of it sooner or later.

I'm not referring to mutts vs pure bred. That's a whole different topic. My reference is $100 craigslist breeder vs $1000 show breeder. Properly tested parents, grandparents, etc can make all the difference. Good breeders will guarantee their dogs for life, etc.