We are getting a dog!!! Where to train and which one??

Ladyhay

We have a boxer that is absolutely wonderful with my 2 kids. Loves to go running with my wife, hiking, in state parks and just be any place we are. We actually adopted him from TGO, but we're thinking of getting our next one from the Midddle Tennessee Boxer Rescue.
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

We have a boxer that is absolutely wonderful with my 2 kids. Loves to go running with my wife, hiking, in state parks and just be any place we are. We actually adopted him from TGO, but we're thinking of getting our next one from the Midddle Tennessee Boxer Rescue.

I just revisited this thread as a boxer has been mentioned to is several times!
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 2 Belgian Malions they are great would not have any outher both a retired working dogs the both sleep in the hall next to my sons bedroom the will love anyone welcome at our house and eat anyone who is not welcome they will both go to the door before you can ring the bell play great with my toddler
We have a Redbone Coonhound :lol:

Anytime someone (or something) steps foot in the yard I hear the relentless baying like he's treed a raccoon in the woods, lol. He sleeps with the kids upstairs and will wake up from a dead snore to investigate (i.e., bark at) a cat or squirrel on the front porch. He's super gentle, and I honestly believe he would let the kids pull his ears off before he would hurt them intentionally. He is more of an early detection system instead of a guard dog. Although he tends to want to jump up on strangers, as soon as that stranger acknowledges him, he will quit trying to get their attention. He has been potty trained since day one - no joke. We got him at 10 weeks old and he's only peed in the house once in two years. We took him out often to use the potty in the same spot in the yard, and he learned it right away. To this day, he still uses that corner of the yard to do his business. It amazes me how smart these dogs are. His biggest flaw... the moment he gets out of the house or fence he'll follow his nose to the end of the world. Hound dogs like to bark and run like the wind when they're not sleeping. If he gets out, then I have to go on a search and rescue mission :mad: He was a lot of work as house dog when he was a puppy, but he sleeps a lot more now and is more content inside. I originally intended to hunt with him, but he became a full-time pet. With proper bathing and brushing, there is no noticeable shedding. Did I mention that he can make A LOT of noise :nervous:

As far as training... Be consistent and positive. Dogs want to please their owner, and rewarding them for good behavior works.

I've also had a Britney Spaniel, Samoyed, Siberian Huskies, Rottweiler, Black Chow :death:, beagles, and mutts. If I lived in a cooler climate, I would have another husky. Edited by Batman
First of all, congrats!! As the owner of 6, I'm super excited anytime I read or ear the word puppy or dog. I won't give advice on breed because I only have experience with mutts (we rescue) and the only pure bred we've ever had is our Am Staff rescue and a Rottweiler (clumsy but awesome).

Socialization is key! I love the Franklin dog park at Harlinsdale Farm! It's amazing and everyone there is super friendly! It's too far of a drive for me now but I love it. When we got our most recent pups we were there all the time. Whatever you chose just make sure to share pics!