SHTF Discussion @ Work for Mid East TN

I work in a close office with about ~10 people which often as we work we talk about certain subjects from golf, sports, kids, spouses, and some of the others talk about alcohol escapades from years gone by to the present, etc.  Yesterday, a topic of SHTF came up, which was odd, because we as a group have never really talked about it before.  It all started when a couple of folks in the office mentioned they have to travel out of the country later this month for work, and Ebola fears was a concern (being trapped in an airplane).  I jokingly said they should bring along some gas masks.  From there the discussions really began. 

A couple of women asked if I really had some gas masks after someone said that Runco would have many gas masks.  I said sure I do, one for each adult and kid in my house, and there are six of us.  Then the why, why, why, etc. started.  I started laying the groundwork as to why (I really don't have any gas masks but I could not resist the moment) and I may have embellished some of the whys as told my stories since I could tell they were at awe with my story.  One guy knew that I am into guns, and he added that Runco has enough weapons to arm a small army.  Another guy chimed in as in a BS moment, yea Runco has enough ammo to feed a small country in the Mid East (again a little BS to whip up the story), and Runco has enough food and water to stock Food City, etc, then one of the women was just fabergasted and more why, why, why.   The BS was being poured on, but her and now some of the others were losing their BS meter, and were now being serious.  

Anyway as the stories unfolded I referred to my home as a compound and that me and my family could withstand a 30 to 60 day SHTF event complete with food, water, heat, plastic sheeting if need be, and of course defending the compound from looters and desperate starving people with the hoards and hoards of mean ole black guns.  A couple of the ladies said what on earth could happen in this local rural area just South of Knoxville that could ever cause me and my family to go into lock down, or even consider the thought.  At this point, I was quickly becoming the weird extremist in the room, and it appeared the BS was no where in sight.  The women and now some of the men had no clue, no thought, and were of the opinion that I was simply a nut because I was coming across as a very serious person.  Anyway I proceeded to inform them in a more serious manner that there were many "real" events that could happen in or outside Knoxville.  I referred to Katrina and the events that unfolded about that, but of course the group said that could not happen here.  I mentioned what if a 7.0 or a 8.0+ new Madrid earthquake were to happen today, even though we are ~500 miles to the East of the epicenter, history tells us that the new Madrid earthquake of 1811 and 1812 caused the church bells to ring in Massachusetts.  Surely if that were to happen that far away, we in East TN would feel something slightly more and likely causing severe damage.  I suggested that the earthquake of that magnitude could severely damage local infrastructure roads, bridges, homes, Dams, but that was not my biggest fear, but what about damage to Watts Bar Nuclear Plant which is just 30 miles from our office and my house.  Just like the Fukushima incident in Japan.  Most of the office didn't even know there was a  Nuc. plant in East TN, and when I mentioned there were two, they were blown away.  Then other crazy SHTF ideas were discussed like nuclear bombing of Oak Ridge, Magnetic Impulse bombing in the atmosphere, Fontana Dam breaking, Ebola outbreaks, major Tornadic outbreaks, etc.   

Bottom line, though over 50% of discussion was BS and made with fun intentions, in the end I had everyone thinking that I was a extreme prepper (which I am not).  Later I realized that I actually had some folks (mainly the women) scared with my BS, so I had to go into damage control mode (no pun intended considering the topic).  These people were scared meaning they were scared of me as an extremist, but one did say they had never ever considered the SHTF events like I explained, and was going to talk to their husband.  Now this is the funniest or weirdest part, several hours later and many conversations later, the radio was playing in the background, I think 100.3 the Q or something, a major country music station out of Knoxville, a government public announcement came across.  It was an announcement about being prepared for a major earthquake in TN.  Can you believe that, and that was no BS.  For 5 min, you could have heard a pin needle drop!  BTW I had never heard this before, 1st time! 

As I write this story at 4am in the morning with obvious insomnia occurring, have you ever experienced talking survival preparation with others, and did they have that wide eye deer in the headlight look and then did you realize they think you are weird or a nut? 

• Like 2
I have a little bit. Most folks used to think it was crazy but as of late, more and more people are coming to the realization that at a minimum we are going to have an economic crash or something that affects our entire country.

There is a push by the left and the results won't be known till it's too late. Cloward piven strategy.

The world is on fire and teetering on the brink.

James Wesley Rawls book patriots is a great read, and as each day passes I see that scenario playing out.

I'm not a prepper, I can't afford to do as would be required so I am hoping for the best. It would be difficult to be prepared for everything and who knows what's coming, one day at a time!

Know your neighbors and if the shtf, at least you can pull together as a group.

Get some sleep :)
  • Like 2

I try to avoid the subject as much as possible with anyone outside my family. Don't really want people knowing what I have or don't have, what I am prepared for or not prepared for, etc. Kind of like cc vs oc. I don't like to draw unwanted attention.

• Like 6

I agree with McGarrett - the need for OpSec is paramount.  I keep any discussion / speculation in the family (if at all).

oddly enough, I have had family members just recently start talking about being prepared... 

I have mentioned to my close family that have some food, ammo and reliable firearms is a good idea these days.

The ISIS crap and Ebola threat is creating, within my own family, some "believers".  They know I am an avid shooter and, since I have suggested they be prepared for an emergency, they are now asking advice.  

I have made some suggestions and, believe it or not, made some reading suggestions:

Patriots - Rawls

One Second After - Forstchen

299 Days - Tate

I agree with Ugly and what he stated in his post above.  These are works of fiction, but I sincerely believe they give folks some insight into what "could be".

• 4 weeks later...

I talked about it at work with some fellows(unfortunately) and they continue to give me a hard time about it which I take with a grain of salt. One of them asked, "what are you prepping for, zombies?" I said, "no, anything that POSSIBLY can happen. Such as a Tornado which is a very real threat here in TN. What would happen if your entire house or partial/most was destroyed by a natural, and rather common, disaster here?" His response was laughable, "I'll fix it myself or wait for Uncle Sam to arrive." I literally laughed at him and told him, "Good luck with that." I'm not normally that mean spirited but he was an arrogant d*ck as it was so I responded in kind. I told them this several years ago before I learned of OpSec(again, unfortunately) and I always hear the comment of, "If anything happens, I'm coming to your place." That's funny, because I probably won't be there to greet you and if I am, you will be 'kindly turned away at the door'. I have a MAG already and I will help anyone that truly needs help and they can stay with my MAG if they have something valuable to contribute. Seems a bit cold but I have prepped unlike these other folks and am not going to risk everyone else involved in my efforts because someone else is hungry, no thanks.

I try to avoid the subject as much as possible with anyone outside my family. Don't really want people knowing what I have or don't have, what I am prepared for or not prepared for, etc. Kind of like cc vs oc. I don't like to draw unwanted attention.

Yeah, I learned this the hard way... live and learn amigo.  :surrender:

My realization after reading "Patriots"--did I just read a recipe for thermite grenades?

Dude, I thought the SAME fregin thing. I've still gotta go back and jot down the recipe, er, I mean...

• 3 weeks later...

....... have you ever experienced talking survival preparation with others, and did they have that wide eye deer in the headlight look and then did you realize they think you are weird or a nut? 

As many of those I work with are former military or involved in emergency services, survival preperation is a serious subject when we discuss it at work.

• Like 1

....... have you ever experienced talking survival preparation with others, and did they have that wide eye deer in the headlight look and then did you realize they think you are weird or a nut? 

As many of those I work with are former military or involved in emergency services, survival preperation is a serious subject when we discuss it at work.

I need to get into that line of work!

• Like 1