Holster choices for open carry. About to lose my mind.

There seem to be so many choices. Initially I was drawn to the Serpa design, but then I started reading horrible things about negligent discharges and whatnot.

Then I started going through Safariland, Bianchi, DeSantis, etc.

I like the idea of a holster that's not too high and against my body. I'm fairly new to the OC concept though and would like to learn more about appropriate holsters and what level of retention is good. I feel like Level 2 would be as much as I need. I'm not LE or anything.

This is so confusing.

I don't own any retention holsters but then again I always cc. What type of handgun will you be carrying? 

If i had to oc right now for some reason I would use my Fobus holster. I think they offer one with a retention strap on some models but mine fit tight enough that I would feel comfortable with that, wouldn't fall out or anything and would be hard to grab. I cc with the Fobus some time in the cooler weather if I have a heavy cover garment.

I had a leather Bianchi retention strap belt holster one time for my HK USP40 but I never really liked it so I sold it. It was excellent quality but very large and too stiff and bulky.

Sorry I am not much help.

• Like 1

The leather ones definitely have a break in period. I find I like leather for iwb and kydex paddle holsters for owb. You will probably just have to try some out and see what you like after carrying with it for a while.

I just realized I do currently own one holster with a retention strap; http://www.unclemikes.com/holsters/concealed-carry-holsters/super-belt-slide-holsters

I bought it for $5 out of a grab box of used holsters at a gun show for my Smith 5906. Believe it or not that holster fit like a glove and I use it mainly as a truck gun, glove box or console, but have been carrying it some lately. Very comfortable and secure. I don't usually like these nylon type holsters but this one is good for what I use it for and the price was right.

If you're like me you'll have a closet full of holsters before you find the "right" one.

• Like 1
I don't open carry often but when I do I use I of the following level two retention holsters:
1) serpa: with proper training I feel this is a very safe holster. I feel the nd issues arise from people who don't put the needed training time in. The only down side I see is it does not ride very close to the body however I suppose this is not really an issue with open carry.

2) galco matrix6 holster. This holster is also level two but has a thumb release rather than the trigger finger like the serpa. I feel it rides a little closer to the body than the serpa does but does not have an adjustment for cant like the serpa.

I find both to be very good holsters for open carry but in the end the serpa is my preferred of the two due to the cant adjustment.
  • Like 1
I have a Serpa for my M&P .40c, and it's pretty comfortable and I don't have any concerns with the N.D. issue. With proper use, you won't shoot yourself. I only use it at the range and in the woods though as I don't like to open carry in public. Edited by satalac
  • Like 1

Whatever you use to OC, make sure it is sharp looking, and matches your well-dressed attire. Put your best forward.

I've noticed that a lot of people open carry with polo shirts tucked in and things like that. Honestly, that isn't my style. Due to the nature of my business, certain style is important and open carry won't always be an option.. But I tend to wear casually (and working) ots of plaid western shirts open with an undershirt and cowboy boots.

Leather holsters are looking more and more attractive to me.

However you dress, look sharp, not slovenly when carrying. 

Clean, neat, professional (even as a craftsman or road warrior).

As you potentially draw attentions to yourself, present a image of a person who is top of their game (whatever game that is).

Impress the audience as one who pays attention to detail. And..  even....if you are *not* carrying.

Bravo Concealment makes a good OWB kydex holster...rides very close to the body and can also be used for CC with a good outer garment...I also just bought a similar style holster from GunFighters INC...very good impressions so far...

I don't open carry, but in cooler weather, when I wear a jacket, I carry OWB.

That said, I love my Serpa for my Glock 21 and FN Five-seveN.

I don't think you need to worry about negligent discharge with the Serpa.

Press the release and immediately train the finger away from the trigger guard while pulling the gun from the holster.

I've carried in a Serpa and never felt worried that i'd have a ND.

Matter of fact, I really like the Serpa and feel safer with it.

My FN Five-seveN with Serpa.

e9uhubem.jpg

• Like 1
When out on my land, I sometimes carry my Berretta 92 in a Serpa leg holster. When the military went to the Serpa we practiced getting it out of the holster but never had the issue of an AD. It was more of the holster "locking" the weapon in place if you pull up on it before pressing the detent lever. Even under stress I never had an issue.
Personally, I like good leather holsters. Do I have a lot of them? No.

Do I have a lot of holsters? Yes.

A big box full. All acquired in search of the "perfect" one.

For me though, to get back on track; a good leather matched to the carry gun is the way to go. Galco makes some very sharp looking pieces in the 100-125 range.

Or go to some of the custom makers and the sky is the limit.
I read posts where some folks like leather for OWB carry.

I don't want to offend anyone, but my honest opinion is I don't like leather for OWB carry. Reason is they tend to stretch and sag outward, and sometimes a bit forward. Add a leather belt to that and it just feels sloppy.

I'd rather do composite, carbon fiber, Kevlar and whatever else that's similarly as strong so I have a firm holster that won't get loose over time.

:duck: