luvmyberetta

Is Chattanooga Carry Friendly?

Why not just vacation in Memphis?

memphis doesn't have a nice aquarium, otherwise it sounds similar.

The messed up part of the trip is the fact that after all my planning & prep I completely ruined my last good pair of jeans the morning of the trip. I caught them on a piece of metal & put a huge rip in them. My gun belt is 2" wide & I had to wear shorts the whole trip & since the loops on them are only 1.5" wide, I couldn't carry anywhere. (only in the van & hotel room) Next week I'm getting a matching 1.5" gun belt along with a couple new pairs of jeans so I can avoid this happening again.

My family & I took a short 3 day trip. We headed out Wed. morning & got back late Friday night. Overall the trip was a lot of fun. It was mostly for the kids so we hit the usual places. We went to Rock City the first day, took a trip on the Southern Belle riverboat & went hiking the second day, & visited the incline railway & Ruby Falls the last day. At night we glady took advantage of the whirlpool hot tub back at the hotel. The only downside was the traffic & all the messed up streets & hidden street signs in a certain part of town. I think nearly half the street signs were hidden behind a pole or a tree in the Ruby Falls, Rock City area. Many of the streets in the older section of town just ended without any kind of warning. My wife was the navigator & got us lost once & we clearly ended up in a section of town we didn't want to be in. When you stop at a red light & a guy on the sidewalk pulls a rolled up paper bag out of his waistband & motions you over, that a good indication that he's selling something I don't want to buy. (We're looking into a GPS system now ;) ) It was a fun trip & except for messing up my jeans, everything went as planned. I think I'll stick with Gatlinburg or a hike in the mountains for our next adventure though.

Edited by luvmyberetta

So... an early morning observation fueled by one cup of coffee.  In other words, I'm operating on fumes...

The thing that bothers me about threads where people suggest that carrying concealed means CONCEALED and that big boy rules apply if you go where it's posted not to, isn't the fact that they're correct.  Because they are indeed correct.  You can most certainly get away with carrying concealed where you're not supposed to if you are smart about it and have something truly hidden.  And you most certainly will be opening yourself to certain consequences if you're found out.  Like I said, those are two very true statements.

What bothers me about it is the fact that if you have to ask those questions of others to seek assurance or bolster your confidence, chances are you're not really a big enough boy to be doing it.

Like I said, a caffeine-deprived observation.

• Like 4

This is another example of why we need to work legislatively to remove these goofy 'posted' property fines and also get the park deal straightened out.  That way people who mind their own business and conceal do not have to worry about any sort of criminal penalties.

So... an early morning observation fueled by one cup of coffee.  In other words, I'm operating on fumes...

The thing that bothers me about threads where people suggest that carrying concealed means CONCEALED and that big boy rules apply if you go where it's posted not to, isn't the fact that they're correct.  Because they are indeed correct.  You can most certainly get away with carrying concealed where you're not supposed to if you are smart about it and have something truly hidden.  And you most certainly will be opening yourself to certain consequences if you're found out.  Like I said, those are two very true statements.

What bothers me about it is the fact that if you have to ask those questions of others to seek assurance or bolster your confidence, chances are you're not really a big enough boy to be doing it.

Like I said, a caffeine-deprived observation.

I don't know if you were directing that toward me or not, but I don't carry where it's posted or prohibited. I may not agree 100% with every gun law or gun free zones, but I do follow the law. I either don't carry where posted or simply avoid posted business'. I didn't start this thread to get people to "bolster" my confidence to carry illegally. I started the thread becuase I live 150 miles from Chattanooga & wanted to find out what areas of town & business' are posted so I can plan around it.

• Like 2

I don't know if you were directing that toward me or not, but I don't carry where it's posted or prohibited. I may not agree 100% with every gun law or gun free zones, but I do follow the law. I either don't carry where posted or simply avoid posted business'. I didn't start this thread to get people to "bolster" my confidence to carry illegally. I started the thread becuase I live 150 miles from Chattanooga & wanted to find out what areas of town & business' are posted so I can plan around it.

It wasn't aimed at you.  It was a general comment on the thread in general, including the 1.5 pages of replies that aren't yours.

It wasn't aimed at you.  It was a general comment on the thread in general, including the 1.5 pages of replies that aren't yours.

I understand. I'm glad to say the trip went very well & the kids had a great time.

On a side note I nearly flipped when I noticed how much less expensive gas was in Chattanooga. I filled up right before we left my town & it cost me $3.69 per gallon ($70 to fill up). We gassed up before leaving Chattanooga & it only cost $2.92 a gallon ($55 to fill up). The last time gas was under $3 a gallon around here was back when Bush was in office.  :stunned:

On a side note I nearly flipped when I noticed how much less expensive gas was in Chattanooga. I filled up right before we left my town & it cost me $3.69 per gallon ($70 to fill up). We gassed up before leaving Chattanooga & it only cost $2.92 a gallon ($55 to fill up). The last time gas was under $3 a gallon around here was back when Bush was in office.  :stunned:

Yeah, I'm down to Nooga every other month and gas is always significantly cheaper than Knox, dunno why exactly. Is it local taxes, or some interaction with being on GA line where it might be cheaper and so they price it similarly to keep from losing the revenue, or what?

- OS

Is Chattanooga Carry Friendly?

I've never been anywhere in Chattanooga that I didn't carry, and most people seemed pretty friendly to me. :shrug:

Trying to ensure my family's safety is of greater importance to me than a sign.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm down to Nooga every other month and gas is always significantly cheaper than Knox, dunno why exactly. Is it local taxes, or some interaction with being on GA line where it might be cheaper and so they price it similarly to keep from losing the revenue, or what?

- OS

I have seen it cheaper in East Ridge than in Georgia on more than one occasion.  It used to be that Georgia was always cheaper, but I think we may have increased our gas taxes.  Still, a lot of Tennessee tags are present whenever I fill up at Costco, which tends to be about 5-10 cents less than the surrounding gas stations.

Gas in middle TN is around $2.99/gal right now.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Murfreesboro has a couple of places currently at $2.87/Gal. But for some reason Murfreesboro is always 7-10 cents cheaper than the rest of middle TN.

Dawgdoc is correct. You will not have issues carrying into Rock City, Ruby Falls, the TEnnessee Valley Railroad Museum attractions, and most everywhere. The Aquarium is about the only place you will have to make a decision. The bridge is not posted though.

I'm the one that Dawgdoc mentioned regarding Rock City.

I've cc'd in Ruby Falls three times over the years.

How about that new parks bill in TN that's waiting for the governor's signature? Looking forward to OC'ing in previously banned parks on my next vacation there. :-)

If the Governor lets it become law without signing it it will go into effect May 3.
If he signs it, it is in effect immediately.
Current best guess is he won't veto it, as he has his eyes on the RINO seat of Alexander.
Reckon we'll know soon enough......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Murfreesboro has a couple of places currently at $2.87/Gal. But for some reason Murfreesboro is always 7-10 cents cheaper than the rest of middle TN.

$2.21/Gal yesterday at Sam's in Memphis.

reality is that chatt is a checkerboard town of "you can carry here but not there".     If you want to carry,  avoid the malls, theaters, and the 1 mile rough radius around the aquarium.   It is easier living here: I know which places do not want my money and do no go to them.   As a tourist, though, the city is *designed* to herd people into a few areas and a lot of those areas are posted, downtown and hamilton mall areas being the worst of the anti-gun areas.  Concerts are an issue as well, all the major places are posted and the best one is on school grounds. 

Can I safely assume that, since the Parks bill has been signed, the aquarium postings are toothless?

Possibly, but it's too early to tell. It's listed as "publicly owned", but I'm not sure if that means "publicly held", or "government owned". Perhaps others in the Chattanooga area can shed some light on this. Since there are school groups there all the time, that might complicate the issue as well, depending on the final legal interpretation or AG Opinion of the Parks bill.

Edited by tartanphantom

No clue, but I will see if I can find out something. 

This list of park stuff does not include the AQ:  http://www.hamiltontn.gov/tnriverpark/

This http://www.tnaqua.org/images/uploads/subpages/Tennessee_Aquarium_at_a_Glance.pdf

says:

Owner: Private, non-profit corporation
Operator: Tennessee Aquarium Corporation

Conclusion: the AQ is NOT a park?

Edited by Jonnin

The last time I went to the Aquarium, it did not have official signs at every entrance. Just "No Weapons Permitted" on the front entrance of the original building. As I thnk Oh Shoot has pointed out, a test case for "improper" signs has not been tried yet.

At least the plaza around the AQ is no longer completely forbidden, which originally made how the AQ was posted as moot (unless you teleported to the fronte entrance). Edited by dawgdoc

There's a side entrance for pass holders. Can't remember if it was posted.

It wasn't when I was a member a few years ago.  

Is the First Tennessee pavilion by Finley ok for conceal carry? Ill be down there next week for a BBQ contest?

Edited by TnDrew

If it's government owned and used for recreational purposes you are legal to carry there according to AG Slatery. You may want to conceal as you mentioned, since not all government officials agree with Slatery.

Is the First Tennessee pavilion by Finley ok for conceal carry? Ill be down there next week for a BBQ contest?

I have never seen any signs at the First Tennessee Pavilion, and it appears to be owned by Chattanooga.  I have wondered about the Finely Stadium parking lot and sidewalks in front of the stadium.  Prior to this year, was the stadium off limits all the time because it was used by UTC, or just during school events?  If so, has anything changed after the law change this year?  I'm not even sure who owns the stadium.  It is relevant to the First Tennessee Pavilion because the stadium parking lot serves as parking for the Pavilion also.