Glock42

Links2k

I shot my new Glock 42 today, along with my newest Sig P238. I honestly expected to be more accurate with my new P238 simply because I have a lot of experience with them.  Oddly enough, I was a lot more accurate with the Glock 42.  I was planning to sell it in favor of keeping my new P238 Desert, but that's not gonna happen now.  It'll probably become my default primary carry pistol. Especially since it's even a couple ounces lighter than the P238. Only thing it's missing is Trijicon night sights and those will be installed next week.

IMO, you can't go wrong with the Glock 42. As far as it being a .380 I don't really care.  It still makes a hole and I have yet to meet a single person willing stand at the business end of a pistol loaded with it.

• Like 1
Those who like the G-42 will find means of proving its utility. Those who don't like it will find means of proving its limitations. Me? I think its a tad bit oversized for a contemporary .380 ACP but that very criticism is a plus for someone who likes a larger pistol.

I don't really like the 380 ACP cartridge in comparison with the 9mm P or 38 Special but it fills a need. My LCP's not my favorite pistol but its the one that's always with me. With this compromise I made certain I can make the tool work for the user.

How? I don't concern myself with its bark or bite and just use it. If you focus on the actual use and don't try to turn a defensive pocket pistol into a frequent shooter its far more comfortable. For training purposes I use an SR-22 in conjunction with the LCP. The same principle works with a G-26 or S&W M&P 22 coupled with the G-42.

Think outside the box in training as well as daily survival and diversify so you don't stagnate.
  • Like 2
I am completely neutral on the G42. I laughed at the 42 when it was released, but one of my friends who bought one urged me to shoot his. My opinion changed a little and I found it to have a purpose; it does shoot better than a LCP and probably carries better than its specifications appear on paper. I still can not get over the fact that a Shield shoots the same.

It's a Glock that fits into more cracks and crannies than any other Glock. I will never replace my LCP with it, but will grab one if I ever see a real deal. I'll do that because I like Glocks.

The LCP is a handful to shoot, and the trigger sucks. But, it carries real well. 

It's a Glock that fits into more cracks and crannies than any other Glock. I will never replace my LCP with it, but will grab one if I ever see a real deal. I'll do that because I like Glocks.

The LCP is a handful to shoot, and the trigger sucks. But, it carries real well.

My Avatar and forum name should say it all regarding what I think about the LCP...yes it's a bit snappy and the trigger takes a little getting used to, but with my small hands, I don't really have a problem shooting it. I would also consider a Glock 42 if I found a really good deal on one...or maybe wait for that single stack 9mm. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had no desire to buy a 42 but being a Glock fan , I had said if a really great deal came up that I might buy one just to add to the collection . That deal came up the other day and it is the one with the updates . After buying the Glock and then selling my Smith 380 Sigma ( almost identical in size ) I had to put 50.00 with what I got from the Smith. The Sigma sat in the safe most of the time as the Glock will probably do the same but it was the deal I could live with and I added to my Glock collection.  I have all I need now but a good deal is hard to pass up. In terms of value I feel I am better off with the Gock over the old SW380 Smith , 

I still want a single stack 9mm in a Glock and will keep waiting for it.

In terms of value I feel I am better off with the Gock over the old SW380 Smith , 

I think most people on here would definitely agree.  I am a Glock fan but have no intentions of getting a 42 because my LCP is such a niche gun for me.  I use it for working out and very deep concealment only.  In normal casual clothes I can almost always carry at least my G26.  I think the 42 looks like it would serve a valid role.  Just not a very large role for me.  

Got one and really like it much better than LCP,was at factory couple weeks ago and had them look over for any updates and

they replaced the mags. The new mags have a # 1 printed into mag on rounds window.  Single Stack 9 will be brought out

at Shot Show just like 42 was a little larger overall.

Got one and really like it much better than LCP,was at factory couple weeks ago and had them look over for any updates and
they replaced the mags. The new mags have a # 1 printed into mag on rounds window.  Single Stack 9 will be brought out
at Shot Show just like 42 was a little larger overall.

If they come out with a 9mm I'll probably sell my Shield and carry both Glocks. The 42 is a nice grab and go or bug.

Funny this post is brought back up.  I was browsing Bills Outpost yesterday, and he is having a 5 year 10% off deal going on.  He has several of these Glock 42s at $424, so that is ~$435 OTD.  That is not too bad.  This little gun was not on the radar, but at that price and its reputation, plus nothing wrong adding a another +1 Glock to the herd, I may have to take one!

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

You can get Glock 42's here in SE Missouri for $400.00 all day long.  There's also a ton of them on the used market. I saw one for $375 on a local FB gun group page the other day. To me, it's well worth the cash. I love mine and it's even better with night sights.  It's awesome that we have another solid .380 on the market that will sell at the $400 range.  Heck, I like it more than my $650 Sig P238 and that is saying a lot. I carry my Glock 42 in a Foxx Hybrid IWB holster.  Those holsters are GREAT. They are $39.00 SHIPPED and are every bit as good as the more expensive Crossbreed's.  I opted for the comfort padding for an extra $12.50 and the Kydex clips for $7.50.  For a total of $59.00 and delivery in one week I think I got a bargain. I highly recommend Foxx Holsters.

I also went ahead and bought a Ruger LCP the other day just because everyone kept recommending it.  I took it to the range and fired it at 15 yards with some PMC FMJ and some Barnes TAC-XPD. The LCP kicked pretty hard with the PMC, but the 80 grain Barnes ammo softened it up a bit.  I must say, that LCP is pretty damned accurate at 15 yards for such a small pistol. I'll fire it at 25 yards the next time I go to the range. It's definitely a keeper.

I added a Techna Clip (pocket clip) to the LCP and will carry it in my pocket as my back up. So, with the Glock 42 as my primary with a second magazine and the LCP as a secondary CCW I have two very accurate and reliable pistols and 20 rounds of ammo. If it weren't for the Glock 42 being just a tad too big for pocket carry (tight boot cut jeans) I'd just carry two of them, so I'd have interchangeable magazines. During the cold months I'll defer to the Glock 27 as my primary CCW and the 42 as the back up.

I don't ever think it's a good idea to have too many different CCW firearms.  My opinion is that you pick two or three and practice with those, then stick with them. But that's another subject entirely……...

Edited by Seabeejason

i am a glock person.  been carrying one on and off duty since the later 80's.  a glock to me is the best made gun going.  but i just don't understand why glock made the g42 a 380 acp.  the gun should have been a 9mm.  there are too many smaller true pocket 380 acp guns on the market that are smaller than the g42.  i carry a p3at in my back pocket daily.  i don't know it is there.  i tried the g42 and it was just to big for my needs.  but it is a glock and it will just shoot. 

Guest kingarmory

Which normally causes more problems?  Atleast a problem gun doesn't cost as much to replace as a problem wife.

They never issue recalls for bad wives either, that's piss-poor customer service in my opinion :rofl:

i am a glock person.  been carrying one on and off duty since the later 80's.  a glock to me is the best made gun going.  but i just don't understand why glock made the g42 a 380 acp.  the gun should have been a 9mm.  there are too many smaller true pocket 380 acp guns on the market that are smaller than the g42.  i carry a p3at in my back pocket daily.  i don't know it is there.  i tried the g42 and it was just to big for my needs.  but it is a glock and it will just shoot. 

I think its a long term marketing strategy.  Who would have bought the G42 in 380 if the 9mm came out first?  Not as many that already has bought one.  But now when the 9mm version comes out, how many will still buy the 9mm and have the 380?  Quite smart I think.

• Like 1